Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2016, 10:03 PM   #41

If so, it seems that the insurance company would not have written a policy on it with only the VIN number.

FWIW, I talked to a lot of folks at Bank of America and they emailed me late today stating that they are overnighting via UPS the Ohio Title to my local DMV office. I have a tracking number. UPS Tracking says it'll get there tomorrow (Friday) by 3:00 pm. If it does, they close at 6:00 pm, and I might be able to get this all done by tomorrow afternoon.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 10:12 PM   #42

They wrote the policy and you had a valid temp registration. When it expires it's no longer registered. Take your chances if you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
breezyhillfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 11:15 PM   #43

Sorry I don't know AZ laws but in CT, you can't register a vehicle without proof of insurance. (On the other side, you can't cancel insurance on a vehicle without proof of cancelled registration)
Old 06-10-2016, 06:27 AM   #44

Something else to consider here in Delaware when you register a vehicle bought in another state you have to have the new unit at DMV in person to verify the VIN number. I would hate to have you show up with all the proper paper work and be denied registration without the vehicle, just a thought. Have a great trip with your new camper
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 08:14 AM   #45
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
Something else to consider here in Delaware when you register a vehicle bought in another state you have to have the new unit at DMV in person to verify the VIN number. I would hate to have you show up with all the proper paper work and be denied registration without the vehicle, just a thought. Have a great trip with your new camper
That's true here in Alabama also, Unless it's a boat or an RV.
Old 06-10-2016, 08:21 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezyhillfarm View Post
They wrote the policy and you had a valid temp registration. When it expires it's no longer registered. Take your chances if you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Take what chances? I do not understand.

I can go out tomorrow and buy a new Cadillac, finance it and insure it, and never register it or tag it? Just park it in the back yard and pay for it and the insurance. Where does the insurance tie to the registration?
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 08:57 AM   #47
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
My scooter is insured, but never tagged, and is street legal.....maybe state to state differences

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 09:03 AM   #48

I honestly don't know about this possible issue. I'll try and find out. My "insurance guy" is actually my daughter who works for 'em (not sales, but she helps me and understands it all). She'll know because she's in the Call Center helping folks all day. I also have a UTV insured with them, and it has no tags or registration. It DOES have a title, though. So I dunno the rules. I do expect every state is quite different.

Heck, if I remember right, Oklahoma doesn't even put license plates on boat and utility trailers at all. Not sure what they do when traveling, or if that applies to TT's......

Can't talk to her for a few days is the problem........she's in Las Vegas with my Granddaughter (turned 16 yesterday) who is testing for her Adult Black Belt in Karate. She has gone as far as she can in Jr. Black Belt. They won't be home till Monday but I hope to talk to her this weekend. I'll find out the answer, at least in my case.

And the UPS Tracking says "OUT FOR DELIVERY".......and should be there by 3:00 PM! WOO HOOO. Bank of America has not gotten good reviews from me on several issues in the past, but this time they really stepped up and paid for the overnight and have bent over backwards to try and help me. Unless the moon and saturn misalign soon, I SHOULD have tags by Monday at the latest.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 06-10-2016, 09:13 AM   #49

Just verify if you need trailer there at DMV to verify vin since from out of state

In PA if from out of state you either need a signed form from a licensed inspection station or have trailer with you to verify VIN. I had to make two trips when doing my camper.

A simple call should answer that question.
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 09:16 AM   #50

Can you get a temp ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mrpep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 09:27 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmac04401 View Post
Just verify if you need trailer there at DMV to verify vin since from out of state

In PA if from out of state you either need a signed form from a licensed inspection station or have trailer with you to verify VIN. I had to make two trips when doing my camper.

As above, I have a temp and it expires while I'm on the trip, and neither state will give me another one.

I have the VIN listed on the Retail Sales Contract, which is all that DMV ever needs. We don't do inspections. Our TT license plates, and all trailer plates, are permanent. Never renew.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 06-10-2016, 09:29 AM   #52
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Washington state is every year

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 09:32 AM   #53

Some states are.

But if I EVER get this plate, I'm done...........

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 06-10-2016, 09:33 AM   #54

I think I'd just go camping, drink cocktails, and turn wood into ashes and not worry about it.......
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 09:38 AM   #55
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:

You can also bring it to your local PD. I do it all the time for cars, trucks and trailers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpep View Post
Can you get a temp ?

No (I know many pages here) but they will not give him another temp tag or one from AL.

As far as insurance it is insured by the vehicle towing it (at least in most states). If in a crash (here in PA) a reg violations is not the end of the world in a crash, a simple ticket arrest. The insurance would still need to cover any damage to other people and property even if you were in the wrong (as long as your insurance is actually paid up). They MAY not need to cover your vehicle's damages (again MAY but I do not know).

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 09:46 AM   #56

Not the right thing to do but if you're the risky type bring your paperwork with you, throw your tow vehicles plate on trailer since the back of the tv is not visible anyway and if you get stopped do some serious explaining .

mrpep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 09:48 AM   #57

Send a message via AIM to jk31668
i think fla is a major p.i.a. too. moved here from nj. both vehicles are financed so bank(s) have the titles. fla requires the banks to mail the current titles so a new fla title can be made and after that they will issue new plates and a policeman verifies the vin #. then the new titles get mailed back to the banks. they say it takes around 30 days depending on when they get the old titles. crazy! cost is approx $300. per vehicle for title and tag.
Old 06-10-2016, 09:54 AM   #58

Another option you could come back 4 days early and be in your driveway before midnight on the date your plates expired.

This year I have had to postpone/cancel extend or shorten trips because life or weather got in the way.
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 10:32 AM   #59

Quote:
Another option you could come back 4 days early and be in your driveway before midnight on the date your plates expired.

This year I have had to postpone/cancel extend or shorten trips because life or weather got in the way.
The divorce would be too expensive.....

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 06-10-2016, 10:37 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
P.S.
I can do online renewal...........for trucks/cars. But trailers are permanent, one-time tags. Can't do that online. Have to go in and pay Sales Tax, and get Arkansas Title produced (for you the owner, or the lienholder if there is one).
Check the back of the temp title in the paperwork. It should have the lean holder listed if it does then the bank does not need to send anything. Take your paperwork to DFA and get it licensed. They will issue you a plate and then send a new title to the Bank showing the lean.

ejw7213 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel