Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2016, 11:11 AM   #1

About to travel......and no license plate yet

This is the first vehicle of any kind that I've had this kind of issue getting registered with DMV and getting a license plate.

Bought it in Ohio, need to register and pay sales tax in Arkansas. Fine.

Financed with Bank of America (ugh, but 3% financing......). Got instructions, and a sheet saying as much, to call BOA "in about 2 weeks" and request them to fax the title to the Arkansas Revenue Office. However, the sheet instructed me to have DMV do the requesting. So I did, and they did.

That was 10 days ago. I bought this camper May 09. That's almost a month.

I called BOA today and they said they MIGHT be mailing this out to Revenue on June 11. I asked why so long, they said "because" (Basically).

OK, I'm leaving Tuesday morning for 2 weeks of camping. I won't be back till June 28. Here are my options:

A) Keep the temp tag on the camper. However it expires June 24!!!

B) Take the existing (permanent, not dated, as all trailer tags here are) license plate off of my ATV trailer (looks identical to RV tag) and put it on. No, it doesn't match trailers obviously, but I didn't steal it and Cops would see it matched MY name/address.

Not sure what other option.

Never bought a vehicle I couldn't license in about 2 weeks max.

Ideas???

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 11:15 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
This is the first vehicle of any kind that I've had this kind of issue getting registered with DMV and getting a license plate.

Bought it in Ohio, need to register and pay sales tax in Arkansas. Fine.

Financed with Bank of America (ugh, but 3% financing......). Got instructions, and a sheet saying as much, to call BOA "in about 2 weeks" and request them to fax the title to the Arkansas Revenue Office. However, the sheet instructed me to have DMV do the requesting. So I did, and they did.

That was 10 days ago. I bought this camper May 09. That's almost a month.

I called BOA today and they said they MIGHT be mailing this out to Revenue on June 11. I asked why so long, they said "because" (Basically).

OK, I'm leaving Tuesday morning for 2 weeks of camping. I won't be back till June 28. Here are my options:

A) Keep the temp tag on the camper. However it expires June 24!!!

B) Take the existing (permanent, not dated, as all trailer tags here are) license plate off of my ATV trailer (looks identical to RV tag) and put it on. No, it doesn't match trailers obviously, but I didn't steal it and Cops would see it matched MY name/address.

Not sure what other option.

Never bought a vehicle I couldn't license in about 2 weeks max.

Ideas???
I would leave the temporary expired plate on with your registration to verify that it's registered. That will match your name as well.

Life is good...Live it!
Nights Camped - (2014) - 16 in 6 trips (2015) - 20 in 6 trips
(2016) - 21 in 7 trips
(2017) - 12 in 3 and going seasonal for at least the rest of the year!
JustB_Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 11:17 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustB_Rad View Post
I would leave the temporary expired plate on with your registration to verify that it's registered. That will match your name as well.
It's not registered.

Not in this state.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 06-08-2016, 11:19 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
It's not registered.

Not in this state.
I guess then bring your receipt with you to show that you purchased it. Does Arkansas not do online registration? In WI, I believe I can log online anytime and print a copy of my registration.

EDIT: You didn't receive any paperwork with your temporary plate?

Life is good...Live it!
Nights Camped - (2014) - 16 in 6 trips (2015) - 20 in 6 trips
(2016) - 21 in 7 trips
(2017) - 12 in 3 and going seasonal for at least the rest of the year!
JustB_Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 11:27 AM   #5

I have the receipt. I have all the paperwork I need to Register and License it in this state EXCEPT the Title with the Lienholder listed.

If I buy an RV, Truck, Boat, anything..........here.........I get that, take it to DMV and get a plate. This is normally done with a Statement of Origin from Manufacturer.

Ohio won't use S.O.O.'s. They title it immediately. But getting it from the Lienholder (BOA) and getting it to my DMV (who stands ready to accept it and license it), is proving difficult and unnecessarily lengthy.

Contacted dealer for possible extension on temp tag. No dice. Ohio says 45 days only.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 06-08-2016, 11:29 AM   #6

P.S.
I can do online renewal...........for trucks/cars. But trailers are permanent, one-time tags. Can't do that online. Have to go in and pay Sales Tax, and get Arkansas Title produced (for you the owner, or the lienholder if there is one).

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 06-08-2016, 11:32 AM   #7
Who Dares, Wins

We had a similar issue when I bought from MD (live in PA) . Dealership was called they said be patient but let us know.. It got close so they reissued a new temp tag to me to get by.

Do NOT just slap a tag on it from around the shop. Most places I am sure it is illegal and Some places it might get you arrested. Here it is a misdemeanor offence that carried jail time. Not worth hoping for the best.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 11:40 AM   #8

I would call and speak to your tax commissioner directly and tell him/her your situation. Here the people at window are robots and try (it seems) to make things as difficult as possible to register anything. Our tax commissioner is elected and much more inclined to help.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 11:52 AM   #9

That may be an issue with your local revenue office. I took my sales papers in to the revenue office (Arkansas) paid my fee, and walked out with my plate. I don't' think they need the title in hand to do that. On the other hand I bought mine in-state. I don't know what the difference would be. I would use the temporary registration as it would be the only legal one to use on the RV. If stopped I would explain the situation and hopefully good sense would prevail.
genehorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 11:57 AM   #10
Who Dares, Wins

I'd take my chances that way as well..

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 06-08-2016, 11:59 AM   #11

go by state issuing agent and ask for a temp tag until permanent one comes. JUST what we an do in NC. A long as you have all the paperwork should be a matter of issuing you the temp paper tag/plate.
IF all else fails just keep the temp tag on it and use the "I didn't know it was not good, it was when I left home?" case.
JUST a thought.
randy
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 12:03 PM   #12

keep the temp tag on and don't worry about it... gov't delays are to be EXPECTED...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 12:06 PM   #13

About to travel......and no license plate yet

Are you staying in same state? Have you tried your DMV for a transfer tag? That may give you a few extra days. It would be stretching the tranfer rules but anything is a shot? Can't BOA fax a copy of title to you? I bought in Ohio and dealer sent Ohio title directly to me with the lien holder on it. When that came in mail just walked into DMV paid PA tax and registered.

Keep asking for supervisors at bank or DMV until you get someone that will help you.
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 12:08 PM   #14

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
I would go enjoy the trip with the temporary tag. It will be perfectly legal for all but the last 4 days of your trip. It is very unlikely that you will be stopped during those final days. IF you are, just explain the situation and hope for an understanding officer. Having some of your supporting documentation on hand would likely help.

I would NOT place a plate on the vehicle that does not belong. This is being deceptive and if caught you will not likely receive any sympathy whatsoever.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 12:20 PM   #15

Run you temp tag and keep all your paperwork together you will be fine or call the dealer to send you another temp tag
locogk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 12:25 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrdr1 View Post
go by state issuing agent and ask for a temp tag until permanent one comes. JUST what we an do in NC. A long as you have all the paperwork should be a matter of issuing you the temp paper tag/plate.
IF all else fails just keep the temp tag on it and use the "I didn't know it was not good, it was when I left home?" case.
JUST a thought.
randy
X2
and if you have insurance on it bring that along as well. be safe
Old 06-08-2016, 12:32 PM   #17

Request a new temp tag. Have them rush it to you.
Safe travels
rwatson908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 12:36 PM   #18

Same problem...got 3 temp tags

It took 3-4 months for us to get the title and the dealership just kept giving us a new temporary tag when one was about to expire. The seller was an estate and they had trouble getting one party to sign off on the title or something. Good luck.
Old 06-08-2016, 12:42 PM   #19

Dealer will not send another temp tag. He says Ohio will not let them issue them for longer than the original 45 days. That option is out.

I am going into Revenue (DMV) office this afternoon to see what I can do about some kind of plate.

Short of that, I'll do what is suggested and take what I have, keep temp tag on, and keep on keeping on. Dunno what else to do.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 06-08-2016, 12:45 PM   #20
Who Dares, Wins

Keep your bill of sale, all paperwork showing it is yours, OH reg forms, insurance... And STAY OUT OF THE LEFT LANE to avoid the radar!

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB

Tags
travel