Old 09-25-2014, 02:51 PM   #1

AC and electric water heater

I understand the concept of a breaker being kicked off when running AC and electric water heater simultaneously. But I'm not sure why this has never happened to me.

For many years we have camped in 30-amp trailers with 30-amp service, and we've never run the water heater on propane. The first thing we do when arriving at a campsite in summertime is to get the AC cranking and fire up the water heater on electric, along with the fridge (which is already cold from traveling with it on gas).

We don't run any other appliances while setting up the camper, so maybe I've been living right on the edge of popping a breaker. During the course of a day, though, we will leave the AC and water heater on while using all manner of other appliances. I know the power draw is affected when the AC and water heater cycle off and on, so maybe that is helping me.

We also use the hair dryer and microwave for short periods on most days, and I know those are big draws.

Any thoughts on why I've been able to dodge this bullet so far? Hint: It's not due to clean living.

Thanks in advance for your input.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 05:04 PM   #2

I can only guess that the combined amp draw of all the appliances you mentioned is less than 30 amps. Ever determined the amps of each item and added them up?

Old 09-25-2014, 06:13 PM   #3

Never tripped a breaker in my previous 30 amp camper. Kids tried running ac on extension cord at house. That's the only tripped breaker in the camper.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 09-30-2014, 06:14 PM   #4

Check your breakers, guys. They may be bad!! And that could cause a fire.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham_Bone View Post
I can only guess that the combined amp draw of all the appliances you mentioned is less than 30 amps. Ever determined the amps of each item and added them up?
If all appliances were running at the same time they are likely to be greater than the 30 amps. However, just because a water heater is "on" does not mean it is heating water. Same as your A/C. You shower in A. M. or P. M. while the camper is cooler and A/C is cycling less frequently. Water heater has more demand, but less conflict with A/C. Microwave before meal use and WH after meal use. Also, does your unit have an electric management system such as Progressive? Just my thoughts.
Paul

on 2012 4500 Chevrolet Chassis
Paul
B D HOWie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, heater, water, water heater