Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2008, 02:06 PM   #1

ac cooling question..

I have an 831krss with the 15k ac unit. I'm not having a problem with it,but i was just wondering how much of a temperture drop inside the unit i should expect on say a 90 degree day? the reason i ask is a couple of weeks ago i had it on about 70 and it was about 85 out and it just never seemed to get down to the set temperture to shut off. It was definitly coolingbut maybe im just expecting more out of it then what it can give.
I'm going to put a thermometer in it tomorrow and get the temp. before i turn it on, an hour later and then 3 hours later and i'll post the results.

eandsphotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 08:19 PM   #2

About a 20 degree difference between outside and inside temperature is usually the standard results.

2010 Wildcat 30LOFT
2011 RAM 3500 CCLB Cummins
HookMeUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 04:55 AM   #3

Yes Hookup is right, it is about 20 degrees. Check the supply temp coming out of the vent. Before I changed out my unit form a 13,500 BTU to a 15,000 BTU this year @ 90 degrees ambit temp, my supply temp was at 60 degrees, this means, I could not lower the temp any cooler then 73 degrees in the camper. Three weeks ago we were camping with temp in the low to mid 90's with high humidity and a heat index of 100 to 105 degrees, the new A/C systems air supply was delivering 45 degree, the unit satisfied the space temp set point and cycled off until it called for cooling again which by the way was not long before it came back on. You will notice that when the sun go's down you then have plenty of cooling capacity that's because the heat load has been reduced, and the A/C unit can keep up with demand. Camper leak air. Keep a clean filter at all times. If a filter gets dirty the motor works harder this is air restriction then it can or will affect the refrigerant circuit by dirt passing though the filter and collecting in the evaporator coil, again added air restriction. There is a chain reaction with heating and cooling system and in most cases a dirty filter will start it all.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 06:02 AM   #4
Site Team

The correct answer is.... It depends! I know that's not what you wanted to hear but there are so many variables that it's impossible to say what temp it will cool your RV to on a 90º day.You should realistically see 15 to 20 degrees delta temp between the supply and return air. If you're parked out in the open with no shade you'll probably never get to 70º but if you're parked under heavy shade you could get below 70º. Follow Rockwood06's recommendations and you'll be getting all your unit will do.