Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2009, 07:56 AM   #1
SandPiper 345 QB

AC Issues

We have a 2008 345 QBQ we have had the AC repaired once the AC stopped working last week in the Outter Banks. The dealer I took it to last time can not find the paper work for working on the unit they are going through FR to verify the work was done. The manufacturer has a three year warranty on the unit we should be fine even though the dealers paper work is a mess?
I made a mistake by not keeping mine even though it was warranty work.
Has anyone else had issue with there AC units?
IIFID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:10 AM   #2

YEP YEP YEP>... mine isnt working again right now for the third time. First , a relay went out. they fixed that. Then on one trip the heat wouldnt work, but it warmed up enough that day and when i went to put the AC on, it wouldnt work. Got home and changed the thermostat and then the AC worked. I didnt try the heat at the time. THis last trip a few weeks ago, same situation. It got cold one night went to put the heat on but it wouldnt work. Next day i try the AC, now it doesnt work again. That's too much of a coincidence for me. I'm not changing out the thermostat again to see if it fixes it since it's going back in to have the back fiberglass changed out due to delamination.
eandsphotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:16 AM   #3
SandPiper 345 QB

What type trailer do you have?
Was your blower working the first time you had problems?
The first time we had problems it was the condenser.
The dealer will not do the work it has to be a certified Dometic service center I wish they would just give me a check for the value of the unit and I would go with another vendor.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:39 PM   #4

The first time the blower would shut off but the compressor would continue to run, which eventually would have burned it out. The solution to that for that weekend was to just keep it on 50 degrees on the thermostat and it just would never shut off. Now, this time it's not doing anything. you can hear it click like it wants to come on but even putting the thermostat low the fan or compressor does not come on.
Believe me, i've about had enough of this thing and if it wasnt sitting so close to my house i'd give it a bath with some gas and a match for a scrubbrush and just get out of camping altogether. These trailers are a joke in how they are manufactured. And 2 year warranty on something that is $30k. even a piece of junk hyundai has a better warranty then that. And forget about resale value. They drop faster then a prom queens dress.

Oh, and to answer your question it is a 2009 flagstaff 831krss .
Old 07-30-2009, 05:25 PM   #5

If you have to replace the a/c and there is no warranty buy a CARRIER., thats what I did and up grade it to a 15,000 BTU if you have a 13,500 BTU. You will be better off....... And if you do change it out, DO NOT leave the service department until they show you that It work, HEAT and COOL MODE, that way there are no surprises after you have left and now you are set for camping.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:55 PM   #6

I have the 15,000 and it's still under warranty so that isnt so much the issue. It's all the little things i've had to fix on a BRAND new unit since i've gotten it that are just adding up and getting aggravating.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:23 AM   #7
SandPiper 345 QB

Two year warranty? We only have a one year warranty.
The AC thru Dometic has a three year warranty but what a PITA working thru it I just don't want to spend more money for something that should work for more than 14 days, thats how many days the unit worked since it was replaced last time.
After the warranty life expires I will go with a coleman or a carrier 15K btu.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIFID View Post
Two year warranty? We only have a one year warranty.
The AC thru Dometic has a three year warranty but what a PITA working thru it I just don't want to spend more money for something that should work for more than 14 days, thats how many days the unit worked since it was replaced last time.
After the warranty life expires I will go with a coleman or a carrier 15K btu.
IIFID, I changed my unit out last spring, I had a Dometic 13,500 BTU unit. I didn't change it out because it failed, I change It out because it would not keep my camp cool It is too small for the heat load. I already had my head set on a Carrier unit and when I checked into the Coleman unit, I had found that Dometic and Coleman both have the same common issue, they can not handle a Voltage drop the start capacitors fails on the compressor. Where I work we have 5 parking ticket booths and they all have Dometic low profile units out of the 5 we have either replaced the units or the capacitors. Sometimes the the control board is damaged and when that happens the wiring is gone. I do have a Carrier 15,000 BTU and it has been working great and it keeps my camper cool. The compressor that Carrier uses is different then Dometic, It is stronger and can with stand the abnormal electrical conditions. I recommend the Carrier unit. As I mention It was installed last spring and It was tested at Pirate Land in Mytle Beach S.C. in July and the stat reached It's set point, temps were over 90 degrees. I posted info on my change out and a web site for Carrier, I think it was under " ANYONE HAVE PROBLEMS WITH AN A/C CHANGE OUT ".The unit is called "Carrier V Air" .
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 12:41 PM   #9
SandPiper 345 QB

Thanks I will look into your post.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:42 PM   #10

an update on my ac issue....
So i took a ride to home depot and figured as long as i'm there i'm gonna buy another thermostat. It fixed the problem last time, for $25 , if it works again at least i can go camping next week. Well, i got home and installed it and still nothing so that was a wasted trip. But this is what's interesting and i'd like some feedback from you guys. I started poking around in the fuse panel. There are eight 15 amp fuses for different things like the radio,lights, tv, etc, and also one for the AC. now along with the fuses there are also circuit breakers for the gfi outlet, the AC, microwave. They weren't tripped but i flipped them back and forth just to be sure. still no AC. So i started thinking maybe the 15amp fuse is bad for the ac. i pulled it out and it looked good but i figured i'd try swapping it with another. I pulled the radio fuse and when i did, i noticed there is a red light near each of the fuses that comes on when the fuse is blown or pulled. The light near the AC fuse did NOT come on when i pulled the fuse like the radio or living room light fuse did. I put a fuse back in the AC spot and still nothing. I put the original fuse that was in the AC spot into the radio spot and it worked fine.
So, my thinking is that the spot where the fuse plugs into for the AC is bad but i find it strange that if the panel is bad why would it be just to one fuse and not all the others also? I'm not an electrician so i have no clue, but it's rather interesting and at least now i can tell my dealer a little better what the problem may be.