Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2018, 08:03 PM   #1

AC not cooling coach

Hello, we have a 2015 fifth wheel which we have taken to Pam Springs several times and the inside does not cool. Has anyone experienced this same problem and, if so, how did you get it resolved?

Thanks for any input
Bfroommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 08:36 PM   #2

Very common complaint in the Summer in warm climates. The quick test of how well your A/C units are functioning is to use a thermometer with a probe and check the inlet and outlet temperatures after running the units for at least 15 minutes.

15 to 20 degrees difference is normal for a good operating unit. If it much less than 15 degrees, ave a technician check it out. If the cooling is good, you just have an under-designed system.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 12:29 PM   #3
Site Team

You don't say which 5er you have, but we can work in generic terms.

Were you running the A/C with the ceiling dump open or closed? If you're leaving it closed, try opening it and see if that does any better.

Also there have been many reports of issues with the systems. Here are a few that I can think of.

1. The duct work being crushed. remove a few of the vents and stick your phone in the hole and take some pictures looking both ways down the duct.

2. Ducts open at the terminal ends dumping cool air into the attic space. You should be able to see the terminal end of the duct from the last vent in the run.

3. The partition between the supply and return air loose or missing. Take the grill off and make sure it's in place and sealed well.

4. The connections between the plenum and the duct runs not sealed well or at all. With the grill taken down check where the ducts connect to the plenum to make sure that the joint between them is sealed off well.

I found several of these issues in our unit, and once I fixed them it cools the RV much better.

I also replaced several of the registers with directional closable registers and that helped restrict the air in the bathroom where it would freeze you and helped direct some air around in the unit.
Old 06-25-2018, 12:47 PM   #4

Have all windows dark tinted. Turn on the AC BEFORE you need it. Use the air dump and a tower fan instead of the duct system.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 02:35 PM   #5

If it's a 13.5 AC unit it'll struggle.
Wiscampsin is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooling