Old 10-04-2015, 04:58 PM   #1

AC unit and generator

So I am purchasing a Rockwood 8329SS in the next few weeks. I am going to be ordering it so I was thinking. Since I live and camp at 5K altitude and camp at 10K altitude quite often and some times need my 13.5 AC unit to be turned on but often have issues with my Champion 3100 keeping it powered where we live, no problem in the Phoenix AZ area by the way. My thought is why not order it with two 11,000 units, one in the main living area and one in the bed room. I don't need to run them at the same time but my generator had no problem running an 11,000 unit that a friend of mine had at 8000 feet. What are your thoughts.

Old 10-04-2015, 05:25 PM   #2
Moderators' Assistant

Never heard of a11k a/c as an option.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 06:08 PM   #3

Here is a link for one.

Coleman Mach I Power Saver RV Roof AC - 11k Btu - White-pplmotorhomes.com
Old 10-04-2015, 06:22 PM   #4

If you always operate the genny at altitudes above 5000 feet, consider having the carburetor re-jetted for high altitude. Fuel consumption and oil dilution will decrease, and you may get a small increase in power.
Old 10-04-2015, 06:26 PM   #5
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborne View Post
what i meant is that it's not a FR option.
you'd have to pay out of pocket for them. i guess you could order it without the regular a/c's and buy them separately and pay the dealer to install them.

IMHO, it would be way cheaper just to get a paralleled pair of inverter generators.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 06:31 PM   #6

I live at 4000 feet and we often camp above 6000 feet. My champion 3100I has no problem running our 13.5 ac unit.
Airlift remote compressor system
Ultragauge EM Plus OBDII monitor
BendOrLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 06:43 PM   #7

I have considered this as well and tried two Honda's paralleled in Alamosa CO 7600 ft. on a 90 degree day and the two ran fine for about five minutes and then they kicked off. I was using a 13.5 K unit. As soon as I put any load on it besides the AC unit such as the water pump, or the TV the units kicked off so I thought rather than always fighting with the generator a smaller AC unit might work. Just looking for a work around so that I can use the AC at altitude when needed. I think I can have the new TT ordered prepped for AC in the main cabin and in the bed room have them installed. It may cost a bit more but at lease I could be cool always knowing the generator will work no matter which way I go with it such as keeping my current unit or paralleling in the future. Its frustrating because I work out of the TT and when its hot and you have equipment that should work but does not gets irritating. I don't want to have to lug around a 150 lb unit that I know can push the power so I thought this idea may have merit.
Old 10-04-2015, 06:47 PM   #8

BendOLarry, I here this often and have even put in the high altitude jets in the unit but it just does not seem to have the staying power. Not sure what to do. Maybe its my old TT, maybe it had a draw that I did not know to account for besides the AC unit. Maybe I go to the dealer with my generator and fire up a new Rockwood same model as mine if they let me. Not sure if they will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendOrLarry View Post
I live at 4000 feet and we often camp above 6000 feet. My champion 3100I has no problem running our 13.5 ac unit.
Old 10-04-2015, 07:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborne View Post
BendOLarry, I here this often and have even put in the high altitude jets in the unit but it just does not seem to have the staying power. Not sure what to do. Maybe its my old TT, maybe it had a draw that I did not know to account for besides the AC unit. Maybe I go to the dealer with my generator and fire up a new Rockwood same model as mine if they let me. Not sure if they will.
If you hear that the 3100I handles the load with no problem often then it's not your generator. I would take some load readings and see what's really going on before spending $2K or more, on generators. The only time our 3100I had puked when the ac was running was when my wife turned on the microwave at the same time.
Airlift remote compressor system
Ultragauge EM Plus OBDII monitor
BendOrLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 02:37 PM   #10

why don't you try a portable air conditioner unit like this

LG Electronics 10,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner and Dehumidifier Function with Remote Control in White (62.4 Pint./Day)-LP1014WNR - The Home Depot

The unit sits on the floor but you have a 6 inch tube venting hot air out a window.
For $400 it is worth a try I would think...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator