Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2019, 10:37 AM   #1

AC unit won't regulate

2018 Arctic Wolfe just got back from the shop for warranty issues and now I find that the AC unit turns on and cools but will not shut off after reaching temperature. Pulled the filter off thinking possible air flow but knew that wouldn't work as the RV is not a year old.

Searched online for a cure but found nothing.

Don't want to wait for another 6 months to get warranty issues resolved!

Any help here?
Thanks!!
desalvo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 10:47 AM   #2

is your thermostat set to auto? currently trying to figure out my dometic unit that will only run set to high. will not cycle when set to auto or low.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 11:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber45 View Post
is your thermostat set to auto? currently trying to figure out my dometic unit that will only run set to high. will not cycle when set to auto or low.
Yep, auto it is. Set the fan to high or low and...it keeps running on high or low! Compressor cycles but the fan doesn't.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 11:28 AM   #4

I'm set to auto "cool". Temp set to 77 but will continue to cool way below that set point.
Old 07-16-2019, 02:29 PM   #5

Can you figure out how to "reboot" your electronic thermostat? Maybe remove the fuse for the furnace AND turn off the A/C breaker. Maybe even unplug from shore power AND disconnect the batteries. At a last resort, read the manual (RTFM) and find out the magic button sequence to reset the thermostat.

From reading many reports here, I get the impression that poor firmware in these new electronic thermostats causes them to misbehave.

I am stunned by the number of folks who insist they must replace their mechanical (analog) thermostats because "digital must be better" after reading all these reports. I'm sticking with my mechanical thermostat with its adjustable anticipator.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 02:44 PM   #6

ScottBrownstein: To cycle with the compressor, fan must be set to "auto" otherwise it will run on the speed you set.
Sandy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 03:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy B View Post
ScottBrownstein: To cycle with the compressor, fan must be set to "auto" otherwise it will run on the speed you set.
I was just about to say that.

OP, maybe you stated that it doesn't kick off in auto, but below is the behavior.

Fan options-

Auto- Fan comes on automatically with the a/c, turns off with the a/c.
high- Fan is set to blow as much air as possible, does not turn off.
low- fan is set to blow just a little slower than high (sometimes not even noticeable), does not turn off.

If your set to auto and it's not kicking off, then there is a glitch in your thermostat.
Old 07-16-2019, 04:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW Rusty View Post
I was just about to say that.

OP, maybe you stated that it doesn't kick off in auto, but below is the behavior.

Fan options-

Auto- Fan comes on automatically with the a/c, turns off with the a/c.
high- Fan is set to blow as much air as possible, does not turn off.
low- fan is set to blow just a little slower than high (sometimes not even noticeable), does not turn off.

If your set to auto and it's not kicking off, then there is a glitch in your thermostat.
That's what I'm thinking. Worked fine but a visit to the shop with major rewiring and now my thermostat has gone stupid. Coincidence

But the thermostat does respond to most commands so I either wait another 6 months for a fix or attempt to fix it myself
Old 07-16-2019, 04:36 PM   #9

Reset the thermostat

Quote:
Originally Posted by desalvo55 View Post
That's what I'm thinking. Worked fine but a visit to the shop with major rewiring and now my thermostat has gone stupid. Coincidence

But the thermostat does respond to most commands so I either wait another 6 months for a fix or attempt to fix it myself
Follow the directions for the thermostat and restart it. It's run by an internal microcomputer and needs to be restarted. There is probably some trick key sequence to force a reset.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote