Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2018, 10:12 PM   #1

ADA fire pit hacks

So in Michigan all of the state parks have these really deep concrete encased fire pits and they totally stink. There is absolutely no air flow so unless you back it so high with wood all you get is a Smokey mess.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to create a air shaft vent or some other hack?
Old 05-21-2018, 10:23 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mch5jdm View Post
So in Michigan all of the state parks have these really deep concrete encased fire pits and they totally stink. There is absolutely no air flow so unless you back it so high with wood all you get is a Smokey mess.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to create a air shaft vent or some other hack?

I’ve created my own airflow with a USB powered fan, a charger block and an extension cord. Just set the fan on the edge pointing into the pit, instant air flow.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:06 AM   #3

A heavy duty grate placed over the top of the pit, then build the fire on the grate. I don't know where you could get a grate like that, probably have to get it custom made but if you camp at these campgrounds a lot it might be worth getting.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:08 AM   #4
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougW View Post
A heavy duty grate placed over the top of the pit, then build the fire on the grate. I don't know where you could get a grate like that, probably have to get it custom made but if you camp at these campgrounds a lot it might be worth getting.
x2!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 01:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougW View Post

X3. Fireplace grates are common. HomeDepot, Lowe's, Ace Hardware, Amazon all sell them. Just a google search away. Any fireplace shop would have them in stock but probably more expensive than a big box store. Just need to get one that fits in the CG firepit.
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 01:28 PM   #6

Small auger on battery drill to bore a diagonal hole from the outside, then open it up on the inside. Cover the hole when your done. No destruction of camp property.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 01:46 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh1957 View Post
Small auger on battery drill to bore a diagonal hole from the outside, then open it up on the inside. Cover the hole when your done. No destruction of camp property.
These things are like Steel->1' of concrete->Steel. Here's an image shamelessly plucked from Google of what they look like:

It'll take one heck of a bit to open up some air holes in that, and I'm not sure how they could be covered up when done.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:51 PM   #8

Dang is that a fire pit or a bomb containment cylinder?

I was only thinking of a diagonal hole into the dirt and one on the inside. I didn't mean drill into any real property.
Old 05-22-2018, 02:07 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Dang is that a fire pit or a bomb containment cylinder?
I think they built them to pull double duty as both.

Quote:
I was only thinking of a diagonal hole into the dirt and one on the inside. I didn't mean drill into any real property.
Yeah, that's what I figured. Showed the picture so people didn't misinterpret, get the wrong idea and go start drilling holes in fire rings.

They're kind of nice because they can get the fire up a little higher, more at eye level, but as the OP stated, they can be an issue with airflow in stagnant winds. That's when I do my little fan trick. Just make sure it's a metal fan, plastic one's don't last as long near a fire.

The fan I use is something like this:

Hmm, actually, that reminds me, I need to replace that fan. DW scooped it for use at work and I don't currently have one in the trailer....
Old 05-22-2018, 02:10 PM   #10

I have a small battery powered pump for air mattresses (Coleman). I use that as a bellows when needed.
ImTravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 02:17 PM   #11

I like the fan idea. We have used a larger fan to fan the fire when we had some crap wood that just couldn't be made to burn... only smoke and smolder. But the fan blast on it and that got things burning good!
Old 05-22-2018, 02:47 PM   #12
D W

In Alaska, for the most part, along with BC,WA & OR, it is so dry in the summer months that open flames are prohibited (Burn Bans). Last summer fires stretched all the way from OR to AK, including the smoke.

Just sayin'.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 02:50 PM   #13
Director, FROG

We have a battery-operated bellows that works well. One of our daughters gave it to us 10 or 12 years ago, and we still use it regularly. It uses the same principle as this, but is a different style.

Battery Operated Bellows

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 03:08 PM   #14

Wow... I'd have to get 2 though. One for each grandson, because taking turns and waiting just isn't in them!
Old 05-22-2018, 03:21 PM   #15

I would measure the depth and diameter of the fire pit, then take these dimensions to a muffler shop and have a L shaped exhaust pipe made that you could sit down inside the pit with the top of the pipe near the top or just above the fire pit wall. Have a wire around the top of the pipe and drape it over the sidewall of the fire pit with a weight of some sort connected to it to help hold it in place. When the fire is started, the air will be sucked down the pipe and will feed the fire.

Just remember to retrieve the pipe from the pit before you leave.

You may also need a can with a sliding disk over a hole in the end of the can to slip over the end of the pipe to help control the volume of air sucked down the tube. If not, it may act like a blast furnace and burn up your wood way too fast.

Happy Camping !!!
Kentucky Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 04:23 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentucky Bob View Post
I would measure the depth and diameter of the fire pit, then take these dimensions to a muffler shop and have a L shaped exhaust pipe made that you could sit down inside the pit with the top of the pipe near the top or just above the fire pit wall. Have a wire around the top of the pipe and drape it over the sidewall of the fire pit with a weight of some sort connected to it to help hold it in place. When the fire is started, the air will be sucked down the pipe and will feed the fire.

Just remember to retrieve the pipe from the pit before you leave.

You may also need a can with a sliding disk over a hole in the end of the can to slip over the end of the pipe to help control the volume of air sucked down the tube. If not, it may act like a blast furnace and burn up your wood way too fast.

Happy Camping !!!

This is a great idea! I like the idea of a muffler shop. Thanks to all!
Old 05-22-2018, 04:32 PM   #17

Go for a road trip and bring back a bunch of rocks, fill the useless pit with them. Then build your fire on top of the rocks.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 220 AH Battery Bank (Two-GC2) - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre with Tow Package

Boon Docking 99% of the time.
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:52 PM   #18

We use a solo stove. They burn completely and leave very little ash. They do not make a mark on the grass. A little pricey, but we got ours on sale. We have the large one. The flames are beautiful and mesmerizing. This is the link to their site: https://www.solostove.com/

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 10:51 AM   #19

Re-bar?

Quote:

How about just carrying a couple of pieces of rebar that will span the pit? Build the fire atop them.

Larry
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 12:11 AM   #20
SYE
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:

Never had a problem using them, most are filled so high with ashes it's not a problem. Holly state park last week, no issues. But I do not buy wood from them, all their wood is smoke. Going to stay in Mitchell State park tomorrow, I'll see what their pits are like
Camped 2012 19, 2013 110, 2014 129, 2015 97
2016 93, 2017 79, 2018 84, 2019 59, 2020 0,
2021 4 reserved
SYE is offline   Reply With Quote