Old 07-24-2019, 10:05 AM   #1

Adding freon to ac unit located under hood

Hello,
My dash air condition is almost warm. Can I use any auto parts freon for my 2009 coachmen mirada that is used for standard auto's? Also, does anyone know where and which port is the one to connect to? First time experience...thanks

dtuten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 10:19 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtuten View Post
Hello,
My dash air condition is almost warm. Can I use any auto parts freon for my 2009 coachmen mirada that is used for standard auto's? Also, does anyone know where and which port is the one to connect to? First time experience...thanks
Take it to a mechanic.

Old 07-24-2019, 10:24 AM   #3

X2. If it needs freon, there is most likely a leak that needs repairing. To repair it means an evacuation. Let a professional do it, they have the tools. They can also tell if it's the old type freon, or the new.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkmkaz View Post
Take it to a mechanic.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 10:29 AM   #4

Honestly and trying to be helpful... if you are asking this you need help. I have pittled with a/c units since about 1982 and I suggest you TAKE it somewhere or seek a helper to come to you. Don't want to move it? Ask a mechanic who works on your chassis type to do it for you(not a local yoohoo but a mechanic). Can you squirt some R-134A in there and possibly improve the cooling? Maybe, but you can also damage the compressor.

DO NOT PUT IN SEALER/CONDITIONER!!
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 10:33 AM   #5

The Montreal Protocol was adapted in 1989 which began the phase out of CFCs. 1994 US laws mandated HFC use(R134A) in auto production.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:39 AM   #6
FLY4FUN

"FREON"

++ Yep, take it to a qualified AC technician/shop. IF there's no major debris in the system from failing seals or compressor going south, evacuation & recharge is the minimum you'll want to accomplish. Keep in mind that the charge has exited "somewhere" & that needs to be found & sealed. if there's evidence of debris, a full flush plus evac/recharge is indicated...or, major replacements of lines, evaporator, condenser, etc. in worse case. It just isn't like the "old days" when we picked up a can or two of Freon 12 and "topped off" the AC and, of course, if we really recall "those days" it really didn't turn out well then. Don't ask how I know . FWIW.
14apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 12:55 PM   #7

What year of Mirada?
I just recharged my 2002 Mirada yesterday morning. First charge since 2003 The manual stated that R134a was installed
It now blows cold. Just follow the instructions
ratherb816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 01:02 PM   #8

If you are going to do it yourself there are a lot of YouTube videos, if you buy a kit with a hose it will only fit one port on the system. You might want to add a can of oil at the same time, it will help if your RV is older, just be careful!!
Old 07-24-2019, 02:03 PM   #9

It is assumed you already know the chassis builder. Look up the engine you have and find the "Low Pressure" AC port location. This is the larger of the two pipes coming off the compressor. The charge kit attachment will only fit the low pressure port. There should be a cap on this valve and it is most often easily accessible. Use an AC charging kit with the hoses and gauge. It may take more than one can of R134A. AC units may eventually get low on refrigerant. Unless there is a major leak, the system does not need to be evacuated.

I recently had a Chrysler 300 that was blowing warm air. Using a charging kit from Amazon, the system took a second partial can of R134a to bring it into the proper range. That is not uncommon. The direction on the can will tell you to invert the can for a quicker input and to shake the can while it is being emptied. When the gauge was within the parameters, the AC ran cold and held the charge. It is worth a try. But, do not overcharge the system and, again, use the low pressure port and replace the valve cap when done. It is very similar to putting air in your tires.

Here are two short videos on locating the port and charging:

PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 02:30 PM   #10

It took me years to have the inclination to learn how to do a DIY recharge of an AC system.
This is one procedure to leave to experts.
Old 07-24-2019, 02:39 PM   #11

Take it to a pro

Your unit is 10 years old. Best to have it checked by a professional. Might be less expensive in the long run.
grafic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 02:40 PM   #12
Coach

AC systems also have an oil charge in them to keep the compressor and seals lubricated. Simply adding a can from the auto parts store will not replace any oil that was lost which will lead to further problems. Let a pro take care of it.

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 02:56 PM   #13

I am most likely the tightest person you know. Real tight.

Seek the advice of someone with experience. You need to know what you are looking at with the manifold gauge set.

You could harm your system and maybe yourself. $75 well spent. IMO
Old 07-24-2019, 04:16 PM   #14

When I took my 2011 Georgetown to get gas before our Summer trip, I discovered that the chassis air conditioner wasn't working at all. Given the age of the rig, I decided not to try a "just refill" fix. It turned out that the compressor was bad and adding refrigerant would have been a waste of money. The compressor replacement was very very expensive but my breakdown insurance covered all but $100 of the cost.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 04:41 PM   #15

Funny how people use those suicide cans and think more blue or green has to be better. He over charged that Toyota and it is blowing 20 degrees warmer than it should. 40# low side is about right, but with out seeing the high side it is a crap shoot.
JPin AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 05:10 PM   #16

Charge ac

Mine wasn't quite cool enough so I went to Wal-Mart bought a couple cans along with the hose connection with gauge and read the instructions. Now my AC works great!
jdkbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 05:14 PM   #17

And whatever you do, never add one of the cans with sealant in it.

Unless you have a set of gauges and you know what good pressures are on the low and high side, it's a crap shoot for most people.
babock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 05:57 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
And whatever you do, never add one of the cans with sealant in it.

Unless you have a set of gauges and you know what good pressures are on the low and high side, it's a crap shoot for most people.

Dear Lord. You are 10000000000% spot on with the sealer.

This aught to explain it. Guess who uses that stuff? That’s right car lots.

Without knowing what’s going on in the rest of the system you cannot diagnose charge or system operation. I get calls all the time about a/c stuff. First thing I ask is “What are the pressures running?

I can’t believe this is that hard. Well I guess I can.

Years ago my father was “charging” a car he had with R-12 and didn’t know what he was doing. Can blew apart in his hand. Yes I know they tried to make the port size different so the idiots wouldn’t hurt themselves. They even put check valves in the cab adapters.

Rant over for me.
Old 07-24-2019, 06:24 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tandem54 View Post
If you are going to do it yourself there are a lot of YouTube videos, if you buy a kit with a hose it will only fit one port on the system. You might want to add a can of oil at the same time, it will help if your RV is older, just be careful!!
If doing it yourself just purchase the can/hose/gauge kit that has the oil already added to it's contents. That way no chance of adding too much oil and of the wrong kind.

That said, if the A/C has lost refrigerant a leak is highly probable. A
DIY fix may work for a while but then right back where your started. If the system is still starting (AC Compressor running) it still has some refrigerant in the system and other than the cause of the leak, damage has probably been averted.

The BEST course is to take it to an A/C repair tech and fix it right. OR just keep adding a can here and a can there until some real damage is done.

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 06:29 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenJoe View Post
The direction on the can will tell you to invert the can for a quicker input and to shake the can while it is being emptied.
Yup, quicker input. Sometimes so quick the liquid Freon enters the compressor still in liquid form and damages the compressor severely. Just like having a cylinder full of water or oil when an engine turns over.

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat