Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2016, 12:09 PM   #1

Adding T Handle Door Holder?

I've been wanting to add one of these for a while. Not sure why but my door has a shock on it and it can only open 90 degrees. The shock is so powerful the door goes flying out of your hand and it flexes the whole door jam. Anyways has anyone ever done this before? My big question is can I just bolt this in anywhere or am I looking for a stud or something? Super nevous about drilling into my brand new camper.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
lewisb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 01:27 PM   #2
Always Learning

Why not also remove the shock on the door?
Old 05-16-2016, 01:37 PM   #3

I agree. I've got them, just haven't done the install yet. I'm not real wild about the gas shock anyway and the sweep seal wear is bound to happen. I'd be interested to hear about the locating the fixtures too
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 01:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Why not also remove the shock on the door?
Oh I will. Just don't want to take it off there until the t handle is installed. I've already taken it off just to swing the door wide open, and it would definitely put a hole where the door handle would hit the side of the camper.

Old 05-16-2016, 02:04 PM   #5

I thought about that on my trailer, also. On mine the door would contact the glass if the window was open so it would need some kind of strong stopper to limit the door travel.
dmchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 02:06 PM   #6
Just A Member

I have installed those on my snowmobile trailer to hold the doors open. I just mounted it where I wanted it on the door and then lined up the latch portion on side of trailer marked and drilled.

I wanted to add a thumb latch to a storage door on my new TT and believe it or not the dealer would not drill a hole in the fiberglass door for me. Said they did not have the proper tools and that they have seen the fiberglass crack before. I just installed it myself last week and used a 5/8 inch forester bit and it drilled thru it like butter. No problems.
2013 Silverado 1500 4x4 6.2L Max Tow
EDABEUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 02:18 PM   #7

You can pretty much mount those anywhere as long as the door swings clear of other items. Predrill, short screws, and use sealant. You will need some kind of bump stop to keep the door from smashing the trailer body or a window. Mine has a plastic tube like piece that goes on one of the screws. You need to make sure the two pieces will align or you could end up with a hole in the door from the stop.
Old 05-17-2016, 11:53 AM   #8

Door damage

I have the shock on my Roo as well. It eventually tore part of the door frame off where it was attached. Luckily my awning support runs right behind the door when it is open so I waterproofed the hole in the door and just use bungies to hold the door open to the support. I added at small silicone button to the door where it touched the brace to keep things from scratching. I like it now much more than when the "shock" was on it.
dmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 04:22 AM   #9
Insert witty title here

My TT has 2 doors. One door has the holder shown above and the other has a shock.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 12:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisb13 View Post
I've been wanting to add one of these for a while. Not sure why but my door has a shock on it and it can only open 90 degrees. The shock is so powerful the door goes flying out of your hand and it flexes the whole door jam. Anyways has anyone ever done this before? My big question is can I just bolt this in anywhere or am I looking for a stud or something? Super nevous about drilling into my brand new camper.

I had the gas struts on my door also,
The wind grabbed my door one evening as i was opening it and it luckily ripped the threads out of the end piece on the strut
So when i got home, i installed the t-handle your photo shows
I mounted mine just above the lower seam rail on the fiberglass. I predrilled small guide holes and didn't
over tighten the mounting screws
My door now covers one of my outdoor speakers, but doesn't really affect it too much.
I love being able to open my door fully

07 Silverado Classic 2500 HD
15 Flagstaff 26fkws Emerald Edition
RiverPeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 12:08 AM   #11

I removed that stupid shock and added the T holder to our 2304 mini lite. I absolutely hated that thing . Plus 2 of our friends had theirs ripped off by gusts of wind. The T screwed into the door, and the receiver into the trailer wall with no problems. And I am still able to open the window next to the door all the way with the T engaged.
Denny B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 06:41 AM   #12

Finally got the gas shocks removed and the "T" latches installed. The front door was pretty straight forward install. The rear one took a little extra thinking to insure that the glass tilt out window doesn't get crashed if the door gets away from me and the window is open. The bumpers will make direct contact with each other and still leave 1/2" clearance between door and open glass. Neither bumper contacts the fiberglass directly. Rear latch is 6" long and the front one is standard length. There's 2-3 fingers spacing with the latch engaged, to the glass
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00025.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	239.4 KB
ID:	109203   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00027.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	205.5 KB
ID:	109204  
Old 05-27-2016, 10:51 AM   #13

Looks great
Denny B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 08:15 PM   #14

Old 05-27-2016, 08:16 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff64 View Post
Finally got the gas shocks removed and the "T" latches installed. The front door was pretty straight forward install. The rear one took a little extra thinking to insure that the glass tilt out window doesn't get crashed if the door gets away from me and the window is open. The bumpers will make direct contact with each other and still leave 1/2" clearance between door and open glass. Neither bumper contacts the fiberglass directly. Rear latch is 6" long and the front one is standard length. There's 2-3 fingers spacing with the latch engaged, to the glass
Did you just screw the supplied screws in there no problem?

Old 05-28-2016, 06:48 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisb13 View Post
Did you just screw the supplied screws in there no problem?

I did. Use 1/8 drill. Use tape caulk from CW. under plates. As others have said, tighten VERY gingerly, you are going through 1 layer of fiberglass. Don't strip the threads! The caulk will ooze out around the plates after a bit and you can retighten. Again, a light touch on the screwdriver! Trim excess caulk with xacto knife,using care not to score fiberglass.

Tags
door