Old 07-15-2015, 09:33 PM   #1

Additional benefit of having TT

Late yesterday afternoon we had some severe storms roll through our area. They knocked the power out and it was out until mid-morning today. It was nice to be able to go to the trailer and have lights, a fridge and hot water for a shower. We had previously had a hybrid and we would have to set it up before we could use it and that was a lot of trouble. With the TT, we just put out the slide, turned on the gas and everything was ready to go. Much easier!

Old 07-15-2015, 09:47 PM   #2

So it's more than a TT, it's a home addition! Great idea.

Old 07-16-2015, 06:32 AM   #3

I'm sure there will come a day I might switch but for now, especially with 5 kids together, my gf and I love our hybrid. It gives us the needed sleeping space and I love the tent feel with out actually tenting it.

I felt similar when I had my pop up. Was just to much set up time. And at home after a long trip, had to set up just to clean out things. So went to a hybrid, much faster setup time. Come home and just walk in to clean up. This year I upgraded, almost same floor plan but 10 years newer. Setup is even faster. The beds, less straps and buttons to connect, half the canvas is already secured permanently. Awning is now a button push.

My brother agrees with you, pull in and sit down. But my gf and I working together and cracking cold ones in 15 minutes, I can deal with that
Old 07-16-2015, 08:52 AM   #4

This same thing happened to us. Storm went through taking out power lines. Had my Class A sitting behind the house. Went out to the MH, started the generator, and supplied power to my home and both neighbors.
That power outage lasted 3 days. I was so thankful I had that generator, and the neighbors were also.

Fred n Wilma
2017 Ford F-150 EcoBoost
2015 Crusader 295RST
Fred H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 09:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred H. View Post
This same thing happened to us. Storm went through taking out power lines. Had my Class A sitting behind the house. Went out to the MH, started the generator, and supplied power to my home and both neighbors.
That power outage lasted 3 days. I was so thankful I had that generator, and the neighbors were also.
x2

I've had the water go out on a municipal well before, filled up the potable tank to boot. Only minor inconvenience
Old 07-16-2015, 09:23 AM   #6

After power goes out you hear about people's emergency box. They keep it stored somewhere in their house. Some have water, extra batteries and a blanket. I tell people that mine is 30' long and parked next to my house. I will keep some water in the fresh water tank. My batteries keep the lights on. The blanket is on the bed. I have a generator in the garage in case i need it.

2011 Prime Time Tracer 3000BHS
2007 Ford Expedition
Reese Dual Cam HP Hitch
Nights Camped 2015-5 in TT
DF5.4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 09:32 AM   #7

I have never had to use my trailer for an emergency or anything but have always kept it in the back of my mind. We have had times that we have had it in the driveway but in case of tornado it may be better that it is in storage. Chances are better that both house and trailer won't get hit and I can go get the trailer and put it at home or somewhere else if needed provided my truck is still functional.

Question is how long can you leave water in the fresh tank and it not get scummy. Seems to be you would need to be flushing and filling it on a regular basis.
Canadiancrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 01:13 PM   #8

California=Earthquake.
Burgers on the BBQ and a cold beer
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 01:24 PM   #9

We would have no problem using our trailer, in fact we use it when our kids are visiting for US to sleep in and let them have the house with the grandkids. We have that advantage of being able to park on our own property, 6 acres, and I read that many posters in the forums do not.
Old 07-16-2015, 01:27 PM   #10

We use ours as a guest room when we're not camping. I let friends and family stay in it in our driveway. They have all the comforts of home and privacy and we do too.