Old 09-04-2010, 01:25 PM   #11

A word about warranties

Warranties on RVs are not like warranties on autos.

Although most all RVs in the industry have only a 1 year warranty it doesn't mean that other components installed therein don't have more.

If you have an issue with an appliance or accessory the warranty for THAT item will cover it. It is NOT necessary to take your RV to a Forest River dealer to get that item fixed. No matter if it is a Dometic refrigerator or awning, a Suburban furnace or an Amana microwave, you are better off if you need service in most cases to look online or in the back of the manual for that item for the authorized service centers for the appliance or accessory in question. If you insist on taking your rig to a Forest River dealer for a repair on such an item then they just become the middle man between you and the manufacturer and slow the process down.

In most cases the authorized service center for a given appliance or component will give you much better and quicker service than going to a FR dealer.

Be sure to read the warranties on everything in your RV as many are longer than the 1 year FR gives on the construction of the RV itself. Also, many may have limitations that can void the warranty if not followed. For instance, Dometic refrigerators have a 2 year parts/labor warranty and 3 year for parts but it is voided if you don't take your rig into a service center yearly for an inspection.

Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 03:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
don't buy more trailer than your tow vehicle can handle!
ditto!

I would not buy right away. I would travel around and look at all brands and models. You will know after awhile which one if perfect for you. You know how much you want to spend and don't let them sell you more than you can afford or want.

Also no matter what the dealer says the price is it actually is much lower. If they know you have not had a trailer or 5th wheel before you get the full price quotes and see what you say. Usually you can reduce MSRP price by 25% and that falls into a general ball park of the final price.

I also feel you muct find a GREAT dealer that will take care of your warranty issues after the sale. Large professional service center with a big building. You need this because you WILL have problems with any trailer, 5th wheel or motorhome and need someone that cares.

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:05 AM   #13

I say slow it down when on the road. Get a feel of the rig. It a lot easier to control a rig at a lower speed. And most of all enjoy your RVing.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:42 PM   #14

I have a habit of rechecking the hitch after hooking up, double check chains, elect connection. I also check for loose bolts or anything abnormal after i unhook at the site.

Grease/repack wheel bearings once a year
BigDTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 12:44 PM   #15

1 more thing!

dont try to save money on a marginal hitch setup and brake controller, buy a quality setup that is rated for your application.

BigDTx is offline   Reply With Quote