Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2013, 05:17 PM   #1

Advice for selling camper on ebay

Does anyone have any advice regarding selling a camper on ebay? I am new to ebay and cannot figure out their new rules. So for example, if we sold the camper for $25,000 would our final value fee be $2,500? I read where there was a maximum fee of $250, but it was not written clearly (at least not to me). Has anyone sold a camper on ebay recently? I read one place where we should do the auction with a reserve price and another said use the Fixed Price format. Thx
BillyandKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:59 PM   #2

Have you considered Craigslist? That's how I sold my last camper pain free. It sold in about a week. Sign up for a free photosharing account with Photobucket,etc. TAKE ALOT OF PICTURES and upload them to your photosharing account. You can never have too many pictures. Include a link to your photosharing account in your ad on Craigslist so potential buyers can view them. This worked great for me and the guy that ended up buying it told me the link to my photo account was Very helpful in gaining his interest. Good luck with the sale
Nights camped in 2014 = 19
(2013 = 36)
(2012 = 42)
JFM-jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:26 PM   #3
Always Learning

A nice part about Craigslist is that it is free.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:44 AM   #4

Try Craigslist... but..I am sure it was the RV Trader ad.. that had 4 pics.. for 2 weeks.. cost=$15 .That... actually sold my 5ver in 8 days..good luck !!
Old 05-11-2013, 06:30 AM   #5

Craiglist, sold ours the first day.
Truth B Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:35 AM   #6

Craigslist - for buying or selling it works for me.
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:50 AM   #7

I use ebay for a lot of little things. I think their fees are high for larger items. If you use paypal for payment they will also take their cut. I would start with Craigslist(free) Also some rv dealers will put your rv on their lot for a consignment fee. It might be lower also
campfirefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:53 AM   #8
Camper Less Camping

RV Trader works very well for us & I don't feel like I get any phony inquires, plus...IMO, get better RV buyers vs the guy who is just looking for a deal.

Either way, get it on an AD & some good exposure!

Old 05-11-2013, 08:04 AM   #9
Missing Link

I sell on ebay a lot. Takes lots off pics and describe to a tee especially any issues big or small. As far as fee it won't be $2500. Should be around $200 and on the ebay site they do have a selling fee calculator to help you out. But like others have said I would do craigslist first we sold our last camper in two days on there and no fees.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:14 AM   #10

In any case what ever you use be careful there are many scammers out there..... Ebay is ok but expensive I buy & sell small items all the time... Biggest things I have sold are a small tractor & a 51 Buick parts car..... Both eventually worked out but it took a while...
. We have a huge car dealer in town that sells many cars on ebay....... You need to set a reserve price or thee item can sell for highest bid.......

Tried selling a Ford Ranger on Craigs list but I had more scammers than I did interested people..... Ended up selling it an a friends shop lot...... If there is a loan on it all the more problems..............

One scam is a test drive it never comes back & ends up on a container headed overseas..................

What ever you decide Good Luck & be very cautious.............

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:25 PM   #11

Thanks, Everyone. Lots of good advice. Now I am scared!!! Waiting a while and trading it in sounds better and better.
BillyandKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:02 PM   #12

Glad I use my ccw when selling buying on Craigslist
campfirefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:18 PM   #13

Its a flat fee of 250 to sell on ebay motors...Also do yourself a favor ,go into settings and click on " show ended auctions" or something like that.You will see hardly any campers actually sell on ebay.Very few to say the least.Craigslist Ive sold two.Just sold my jayco today off craigslist in two weeks.A dealer will rape you in the trade and make you feel like you stole it from him.Its the way they play the numbers.You will always make out much much much better selling outright.Cant argue that.If they give you what your asking price is on the trade they arent going down as low on the new unit as they wouldve if you didnt have a trade.Simple math.
Rtazz17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:08 PM   #14

I would not be scared of Craigslist. People are making a big deal of nothing. Yes you will get some emails that are truly scams but they are easy to recognize and you don't even need to respond. They won't have any of your personal information anyway. I sell all kinds of stuff on Craigslist everyday for the past 5 years all without issues....and lots of cars and other expensive stuff. No one will rob your or steal your rv.
If you get an email that says anything like " Is your item still available" don't respond. I state in my ad "Calls preferred. Since most emails are spam I will only respond to very detailed emails" No one calls to spam or waste your time. Don't worry.
jlwardn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:13 PM   #15
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwardn View Post
...If you get an email that says anything like " Is your item still available" don't respond...
Don't quite understand if someone emails and asks if the item is still available. Why do you consider this spam? I would email first and if the response was yes, I'd make the call.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:13 PM   #16

I agree 100% with jlwardn don't worry in my ads I remove the option to recive emails and Craigslist will warn you before you post the ad to include a phhone number or nobody will be able to contact you (naturally). This way you will only get actual phone calls or possibly texts from local or surrounding people actually interested in it. Selling my camper on Craigslist the way I described on page 1 was so easy and painless its not funny.
Nights camped in 2014 = 19
(2013 = 36)
(2012 = 42)
JFM-jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:28 PM   #17

When someone writes " Is your item still available" It is usually a bot phishing for email addresses. Normal people usually ask about a specific name of something not generic terms like "item" or "listing" These people and bots use generic emails to send to thousands of people. They have automatic programs to do 90% of the work and usually respond to most every ad. I want a real person to ask me specific questions about what I am selling. I also put in my ad....."if you see the ad....it IS still available"
If you are the type of person to respond to Craigslists ads.....remember to ask more questions and be specific about what you are inquiring on. Let them know you are legit.
Also watch out for emails that have bad grammar and misspelled words. It is a clue that the email is generated from out of the country.
jlwardn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:14 PM   #18

Exactly correct about the phishing bots. Happens all the time to me unless you put, numbers and spelled out numbers (e.g. 3eight6-...-....) for a phone number and do the same for email. Do notes CL do the anonymous email as that will get you spammed/phished by bots.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote