Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2017, 04:29 PM   #21

PDI

Operate every system from top to bottom. Walk around the outside...get on the roof...crawl under the rig. Inspect section by section. Pull out all the drawers...check for debris left by the manufacturing process. Check the plumbing connections for tightness and no kinks. Inspect wiring runs. Simply put, dig beneath that shiny new veneer and see what lies behind.

Most of all, expect to see things that are not right. The sad truth is that manufacturers can't build these things fast enough...they are all pretty shabbily constructed while being rushed along the assembly line. If you are not already, get familiar with tools and how to use them. You'll need to be able to do work on your own. Depending upon the dealer to solve all the issues you're likely to encounter will only lead to madness.
slipf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 04:32 PM   #22

Do not assume that the person who does the walk through knows what they are talking about. I looked at as many videos as I could on the web and knew about the unit, an R-Pod than the guy who did
the walk through and in a number of areas the information he gave us was totally wrong.
Also be sure to take pictures of anything that you find that will need to be fixed or addressed at a later time.
Michele and Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 04:49 PM   #23

We should be picking up our cedar creek 34rl2 earky August. It has been delayed a month and I want to make sure that everything....and I mean everything is working before I hand over that much money. They have been informed that since we will be living in it full time I want to make sure it doesnt have to go back to the dealer for something thats not right so I will be taking all day and even two days to go through it all before we hook it up. They are fine with that and even said because of the 5 week delay if something is wrong they will send someone to our site to fix it. Hoping all goes well.
suelev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 07:45 PM   #24

Pdi

Have your significant other take notes!! It's way too much to try and remember
Ronjon50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 08:26 PM   #25

Something I don't think has been mentioned, have them show you how to winterize and dewinterize your RV. Come this fall if you don't know you will be asking here on the forum. Know where the water pump is located, sometimes the mfr likes to hide those things. Know how to turn the electric on for the WH and where the anode rod is. Know what every switch is for, where the GFI outlets are, how to get over the air television signals, and cable television operation. How to set the awning in case of rain (when I picked mine up they had the awning tilted and I asked - why?) There may be You Tube videos on doing a PDI so check it out. Turn on all the overhead lights to see if there is debris that shook out into the lens during shipping. Mine had saw dust in every one so they had to clean them all.
So many questions and it is easy to forget to ask or just don't know what to ask about. Make sure everything functions properly before you even hook up to your TV, once you hit the street they won't remember who you are.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 07:43 AM   #26

Black Tank Flusher

Make SURE the black tank flusher works!! Ours doesn't.
Talked to a local dealer and he said, "Sometimes the guys hauling these things use the toilet. Then it doesn't get flushed out until after you buy it."
After sitting for a period of time the flushing mechanism gets plugged up. Very difficult to clear out. (See https://sites.google.com/site/cbruni/ for a well-written and easy to understand method.)

Good Luck!
TheHossMan
thehossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 07:50 AM   #27

Wow we are expecting to purchase a new Lance at the next RV show in Huntsville, while I have had two TT's never had a new one and the one webs e now was only 4 months old when we bought it it was "used " so no dealer walk thru, and the dealership it came from doesn't do dealer prep and I wonder if they aren't selling 2 nds because there were things missing that they claimed were there when delivered. Anyway thanks everyone for the great information it will e heeded when the time comes.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:52 AM   #28

Auto correct ����������
Old 07-19-2017, 08:15 AM   #29

buyer beware

We just bought a 2017 Forester 3051S and we have so many things go wrong. The guy in service has a oh well attitude. they have it for 3 weeks and still waiting on a painter to fix the paint chip on the door. SO make sure you look over the whole RV and point out what it wrong or missing before taking it.
Philkaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 09:25 PM   #30

Check for LEAKS

We bought a new 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2304 in May. While we love the camper, we've had to take it back to the dealer several times.

Two of our frameless windows leaked (when closed), so both had to be replaced -- which meant caulking them closed and waiting 6 weeks for the new windows to arrive from Indiana (we live in Nova Scotia, Canada).

Our screen door didn't latch. One of our outside storage compartments leaked. Our water heater circuit board died after our second trip out, it had to be replaced (Suburban water heater).

All that being said, our dealer has been relatively good to deal with. When I got upset about all the leaking and the wait time for new windows, and the multiple trips back to get them replaced (dealer is 160 km round trip from home), we got a free $400 EMS system and a Maxxair cover. My only issue now is that the sloppy tech at the dealer got caulking on the side of the trailer and let it dry, and to take it off now would peel a little spot from my decal.

Ironic thing is, we traded in a 2017 Roo because the bed ends leaked when closed, so we wanted a fully enclosed TT... which promptly had two leaky windows and a leaky storage area 😂 But now that the kinks are ironed out, we've camped 18 nights so far, and are loving every minute.

My advice... check everything that's been mentioned by others so far, and ALSO turn a hose on the windows/storage area doors to check for leaks.

Most importantly... enjoy your new rig 😊

-------------------------------------
2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2304
2013 Ford F-150
Nurse_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 12:06 PM   #31

Assume NOTHING works. Have the dealer show you how it works, then do it yourself. This includes things so mundane as filling and emptying all tanks. Yes, ALL tanks. Your unit is brand new, so fill even the black tank and empty it. On their driveway is Ok since it is brand new clean. Go through the winterize and de-winterize procedure. Actually do it. Add water. Drain water. Add water through the siphon bypass as though you are adding antifreeze. Empty and refill your water heater. Do it ALL.

After delivery:
Take a 'shake down' cruise withing easy driving distance of the dealer. Make a list of everything you find. I had 1.5 pages, single spaced.

After all that I still missed where the siphon hose is for winterizing. Found it when I went to a repair shop asking that they install one. I was a little embarrassed when they said I already had one, and showed it to me.

As quickly as possible (1 week?) read EVERY manual you receive and re-check out your new unit. I found that my recirculating exhaust fan has a charcoal filter that was unreachable due to the design of the coach. Contacted FR. They sent instructions to the dealer for how to correct the bad design.

By the way, I am one of the lucky few. My dealer does not push back on ANY warranty work. AND Forest River (with a little encouragement) has helped the dealer fix everything the coach needed. There have been a multitude of issues with my new coach, but FR and my dealer have fixed everything. Can't complain even a little bit.

After your shakedown cruise, take your list, which includes questions on how to do X, to your dealer. Give the dealer a copy and you keep a copy. When you pick up your unit, check repairs against YOUR list, not the work order list.
McCormickJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 12:19 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
Honestly maybe it was unknown. It prolly only got moved one time after dropped off.
They moved it 3 times in the lot. when we arrived. chances are good they saw it but then again they missed several deeply embedded gouges in the door... chips in the bathroom counter top very crooked warning decals and tv mounts (both opposite directions side by side)

if the dealership didn't notice it the issues become the new owners.

perhaps they inspected the unit at midnight during a power outage with sun glasses on...
Old 07-21-2017, 12:33 PM   #33

I had 3 issues with ours when we arrived home. Dead bolt on our 2nd door required a door lift to work. After considering the options I opted to use a metal saw and extend the hole 1/4" down. Easy fix. Second issue was found after a roof inspection. About a foot of roof sealant had waved leaving the seam exposed. The TT was shipped immediately after it came off the line so I assume the sealant hadn't had enough time to harden. Again an easy fix with some self leveling sealant if caught in time. Third issue is still an issue. The oven will not light. I can light the pilot and wait for the thermocoupler to heat up but the valve never releases propane to the oven burner. I spoke with the oven manufacturer and they agree it's likely an issue with the valve where you set the temperature. It's way down on my priority list and spending a couple hundred to get it fixed doesn't seem worth it for something we'll probably never use.

Most of what has been mentioned by others would've caught at least a couple of my issues...a roof walk and an all appliance check.
2012 (6 nights), 2013 (32 nights), 2014 (26 nights), 2015 (37 nights), 2016 (14 nights)
mTn_biKer65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 12:42 PM   #34

1, 2, 3, 4, 5hr walk thru...Everything looks great ! take it out once, twice...third time the slides short out, converter blows up, AC launches itself off the top of TT's Breaker panel turns into Mt. ST..Helen's.
You're at the mercy of the Travel Trailer Gods...as to what...if anything takes a dump on you.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 01:06 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by mTn_biKer65 View Post
I had 3 issues with ours when we arrived home. Dead bolt on our 2nd door required a door lift to work. After considering the options I opted to use a metal saw and extend the hole 1/4" down. Easy fix. Second issue was found after a roof inspection. About a foot of roof sealant had waved leaving the seam exposed. The TT was shipped immediately after it came off the line so I assume the sealant hadn't had enough time to harden. Again an easy fix with some self leveling sealant if caught in time. Third issue is still an issue. The oven will not light. I can light the pilot and wait for the thermocoupler to heat up but the valve never releases propane to the oven burner. I spoke with the oven manufacturer and they agree it's likely an issue with the valve where you set the temperature. It's way down on my priority list and spending a couple hundred to get it fixed doesn't seem worth it for something we'll probably never use.

Most of what has been mentioned by others would've caught at least a couple of my issues...a roof walk and an all appliance check.
I read where there were some bad oven gas valves. I would mention that.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote