Old 09-18-2016, 10:55 AM   #1
Smile Advice on buying a new Forest River

I am new to RVing. I bought a forest river cherokee travel trailer 2007 in july 2016 from a friend that is permanently parked on a site. We used it already 7 weekends and seem to like it. Now I am interested in trading in for a brand new one, looking at 5th wheel. I gather columbus palomino is also built by Forset river. Wanting some advise on the quality of this or any other suggestion.
I have looked into wide variety of RV's. Pretty much 90% of them are made by Forset River and Thor under different names. I find the build quality even in the higher end seems cheap. I was very close to by Avalanche by Primetime. I found lot of rust on the frame and landing gear on a brand new one. Not good review by owners many have had problems and have traded into another Rv's.
I understand RV is not like automobiles. Investing in a good one comes with a price but not head aches and worries. It is lot of work to take it in for warranty issues and after sales service has never been good with RV's from what I gather.
I even looked at Forest river sierra, interior finish was cheap.
Looks like its a luck on how well its assembled. My friend bought Solstice by Star craft 85K CAD. Had issues from day one, now its booked for warranty repair for 12 items.
Would a forum member guide me to by a new RV. I know what plan, spec
I want, but quality and build I am not able to determine. If its true "you pay for what you get" it doesn't seem so with RV's.
I dont intend to drive it, permanently parked. Looking for 42' with back bunk or mid bunk that sleeps at least 8. we have 2 kids but like to have lot of room.
Will use it only in summer in Calgary.

vishu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 11:15 AM   #2
Take a look.

Check out Grand Design. I hear better things about them. Best way to investigate is through the forums specific to the model you want. I have a 2014 Palamino made by FR. Had lots of manufacturing issues, but had a good dealer.

Good luck

2013 Ford F-350 SD Diesel, 4X4, Crew Cab, Lariat
Sabre 2014 32RCTS, Pullrite Superglide 2900 18K
Davidceder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 11:23 AM   #3
Sounds like your in "Destination Trailer Area"! F/R Site has a Listing for these! They will fit your Wishes! The DEALER you BUY from will make a BIG Difference in "After the Sale Service and Satisfaction"! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 07:04 PM   #4
If your just going to park it, why not go with a Park Model? We just discovered them. We are currently looking at a Forest River 4102BFK, but they also have nice bunk models. We are just looking them and really studying things to make sure we make the right decision.
mrreylou is offline   Reply With Quote

forest river