Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2015, 10:46 AM   #1

Advice on how to proceed with travel trailer

Sorry in advance for long post. My wife and I purchased new a Wildwood 31 QBTS travel trailer last year. Took it out on very few small trips last year. Less than 400 miles over 4 trips. Had one tire blow out after one trip that they actually replaced under warranty. My city water connection was cross threaded so it leaked all the time, fortunately I caught this by sheer luck on the first trip and fixed it myself. This year we purchased a truck that I was comfortable pulling with (properly set up of course) and took a big trip west. On the second day of the trip our air conditioner began freezing up. Outside temp was 78 I set the thermostat on 73. Never made it to 73 and through out the entire trip would not cycle would just freeze up regardless of how little difference I was looking for in temperature. On the third day I had a tire blow out. I had the torque and air pressure checked by tire shop the day before we left and never traveled above 65 mph. When I replaced the spare the tire shop raised concerns that what was on the trailer was not even a radial tire and that I would have more issues. Traveled about 1,000 miles more and the outside and inside of the tread was becoming severely worn (middle of the tire looks as if they've never hit the road). I went ahead and found the next tire shop and replaced all four. Frustrating that after an approximate 2,500 miles I had to replace 5 tires. I was concerned that some other issue had caused the wearing issue, but was assured by the tire shop that the tires that were on there were junk and they were confident I'd have no problems with what I replaced them with. ( I finished the trip around 3,000 miles and had no issues what so ever, seems the tire shop was correct). Had numerous small things fail along the way but nothing I was going to get terribly excited about. 2 window shades have fallen off the wall, couch broke when one 40 lb child sat on it, (they plopped for sure but they weigh nothing) 2 door latches came off and a trim piece coming off at slide. All in all I wasn't terribly happy but not upset. Then on the way home again not exceeding 65 mph I can begin to see I think a bulge in the siding out my mirror, I stop and inspect and can't see anything. My in-laws were traveling with us in their fifth wheel and as they caught us and were beginning to pass us and my fil calls and says you need to pull over now, an upper piece of siding had come off and the top roofing membrane was pillowing when being pulled. This was on Saturday so I called the dealer, we bought about 15 months ago and so we are out of factory warranty but did buy an extended warranty. I called wondering what I could do to get home and the only response I got was call back on Monday morning and talk to the service department. The wife and I had to be at work today and we were still 600 miles from home. So I got out the paper work and called the extended warranty company and asked if there was anything I could do that wouldn't void the warranty and he was actually helpful and told me to duct tape every seam I could and baby it home. That is what we did (took forever to get home).

I am headed to the dealer today to discuss repair, but I have major concerns. One of which is water damage as we got rained on on the way home. In all honesty i'd like rid of the trailer, and would be willing to trade it in and take a hit and be done with it, but I'm sure we'll have to go through the process of getting it fixed. I am however afraid of it being fixed properly, and personally feel Forest River should be held responsible here even though it's out of warranty. Am I reasonable in that thought? What should I ask of the dealer? Should I contact Forest River directly? Looking for the best recourse here? Don't want to be unreasonable but honestly would prefer just to be done with this trailer as it has major quality concerns. I now we probably owe more than it's worth in only paying for it in a year, but I'm willing to write a check to walk away from it and take it as a lesson. Thoughts? Sorry for the book, tried to make it as short as possible.
jmign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 11:11 AM   #2

I would reach out to both, the dealer and FR. The tires, I am afraid, you will just have to suck it up. Most tires put on RVs are pretty much junk and most of us will replace them quickly.

The other issues, I would first look to the dealer. If your dealer is any kind of a dealer, they will assist you in getting the factory to fix the damages, but don't be surprised if they just tell you it's a factory problem and not theirs.

I think it is pretty much a factory issue and that is who I would go after. It might even be wise to get an attorney that knows the lemon law in your state to have a look at it and contact the factory. (I'm not really a sue 'em type, but some cases call for it).
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 11:30 AM   #3
Always Learning

I'd go directly to Forest River and talk to them - calmly and without threats (which can be super difficult; trust me, I've had my own messes to deal with).
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 11:49 AM   #4

Thanks for the responses.
I am calm currently and hope to stay that way. My thought is to go to the dealer and see what they suggest. My guess is they say it's a factory issue and I will ask to be put in touch with someone with Forest River.
I am ready to eat the tires I knew they probably weren't great (still frustrating that they put something on it that you can't drive down the road on). My only really major concern is the siding and roof. Which I am majorly concerned about.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:11 PM   #5
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmign View Post
Thanks for the responses.
I am calm currently and hope to stay that way. My thought is to go to the dealer and see what they suggest. My guess is they say it's a factory issue and I will ask to be put in touch with someone with Forest River.
I am ready to eat the tires I knew they probably weren't great (still frustrating that they put something on it that you can't drive down the road on). My only really major concern is the siding and roof. Which I am majorly concerned about.
I didn't mean to imply you weren't. I just know how frustrating some of these messes can be (and mine was minor compared to yours). I also know that the moment "lawsuit" is even hinted it- you stop being a "warranty issue" and are immediately referred to the legal department.

BUT...

The reason that I would skip the dealer is that this camper needs to go back to the factory for proper repairs.
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 12:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I didn't mean to imply you weren't. I just know how frustrating some of these messes can be (and mine was minor compared to yours). I also know that the moment "lawsuit" is even hinted it- you stop being a "warranty issue" and are immediately referred to the legal department.

BUT...

The reason that I would skip the dealer is that this camper needs to go back to the factory for proper repairs.
I agree, but wouldn't know how to begin to get in contact with FR and start that process. I guess I was hoping the dealer would be an advocate of sorts....I'm afraid FR will say it's out of the factory warranty period and blow me off. I think i'll try getting in contact with FR this afternoon and see where things progress. Again thanks for the response.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:25 PM   #7
Always Learning

They have "Contact Us" section of their site that should have a warranty manager for each brand.

But also, here's this list:
https://dealers.forestriverinc.com/D...nformation.pdf
Old 08-10-2015, 12:51 PM   #8
Site Team

you said the warranty had expired.
didn't your dealer tell you about the 2nd year factory warranty for only $150?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 12:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
you said the warranty had expired.
didn't your dealer tell you about the 2nd year factory warranty for only $150?
I do have an extended warranty. I'm sure if I had been given that option I would have taken it, but I can not say definitively that I was not offered that. I also know I need to take the time to sit down and go over my paperwork. I just returned late last night.
Old 08-11-2015, 12:47 PM   #10

Another avenue that you might want to consider if FR declines to assist you is to try Trailer Life's Hotline for the roof and siding issues. They might not be able to get you any assistance, but might be worth a try.
kluza2786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 01:16 PM   #11

The more I read about new trailers and having bought 2 new ones of different brands, I am beginning to think they are all built with very poor quality controls. Having leased and bought many new cars I have never had a car need a bunch of things that should work and last be repaired. Our Palomino M-6147 needed many, many repairs under warranty. So far our Keystone Outback Terrain 245TBH has had two issues.
If you do not get anywhere with the dealer... I would definitely email or call Forest River about your Wildwood. If they won't come good for it I would seek legal advice. Also you may be able to claim the siding/roof damage on insurance... perhaps it was not the manufacturing at all... and was the wind that caused that to come loose and eventually let rain in. Good luck.
KamperKen1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 03:00 PM   #12

Is the siding the fiberglass type, if so should be 2 year warranty from FR on it
Mike ONeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 03:45 PM   #13

Another seldom used tactic is to call the bank who did the financing. If they do a lot of financing for the selling dealer they may be able to exert pressure to get the repair done pronto. Particularly if you let slip that perhaps you might not be too interested in paying any more for an unusable trailer. They have more leverage than you have. They may even have some leverage with FR is they do the floor planning for the dealership.
2016 Coachmen Chaparral Lite 29MKS
Rvdixie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer, travel, travel trailer