Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2019, 08:42 AM   #1

Advice on location for hurricane

So, we have our 31 ft Sunseeker behind a 6 ft fence in New Smyrna Beach which is south of Daytona in Florida. We are about 2 blocks from the beach. It is in a residential neighborhood. Of course no one knows where the storm will go but right now they are predicting we could get Tropical Winds. We also have a home inland by Orlando but there are trees galore in Winter Park. When we take it to Winter Park we park in driveway which is sandwiched between two homes. Should we leave it or move it for those more experienced than we are?
Old 09-01-2019, 09:04 AM   #2

With storm surge, I would move it. Less of a chance of flying junk hitting it the further away you are.
Old 09-01-2019, 11:08 AM   #3

Kansas?
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 11:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Kansas?
Didn't work for Dorothy and Toto

Best answer I can think of for OP is "as far away from the coast as you can get and whatever high ground you can find there.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 11:17 AM   #5

We have many visit here in East TN Smoky Mnt's some even found a new home here .
cfo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 11:47 AM   #6
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by shopinful View Post
So, we have our 31 ft Sunseeker behind a 6 ft fence in New Smyrna Beach which is south of Daytona in Florida. We are about 2 blocks from the beach. It is in a residential neighborhood. Of course no one knows where the storm will go but right now they are predicting we could get Tropical Winds. We also have a home inland by Orlando but there are trees galore in Winter Park. When we take it to Winter Park we park in driveway which is sandwiched between two homes. Should we leave it or move it for those more experienced than we are?
I’d have it where you’re going to be. New Smyrna is too close to the beach for my liking when the word storm surge comes up. Our friends in Daytona Beach are within blocks of A1A and not much higher than the shore. They usually hide with friends on the third floor condo in Jacksonville.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 12:18 PM   #7

We live on Merritt Island about 8 miles from the beach and keep our fiver at the house. Yesterday morning I looked at the predictions and decided that the risk was too high to stay at the house. I worried not so much for the house as there is nothing more I could do to protect it but the trailer could be destroyed even though the house survives. So we left the house all sealed up and went to Tampa yesterday. Yesterday afternoon it looked like we over thought the risk but this afternoon I am satisfied with my decision. We will see what happens.

If I lived 2 blocks from the ocean I would be gone no question about it.
Windjammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 12:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windjammin View Post
Yesterday afternoon it looked like we over thought the risk but this afternoon I am satisfied with my decision. We will see what happens.
When a potential catastrophe is looking you in the face there's no way you can "over think" it. I'd rather over-prepare than do like so many and think "well, nothing happened the last time, probably won't this time so we'll just sit it out".

To me, a hurricane on the horizon is a good excuse to take a trip a couple hundred miles from the danger zone and watch it on TV, not out my window.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 12:56 PM   #9

Go west, my friend
smgelsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 12:58 PM   #10

X2
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 01:00 PM   #11

Head west and south. My son lives in Sebring, and is worried. I'll be heading up there tomorrow to help him board up. Tropical winds can do a lot of damage aside from hurricane winds. Here on Pine Island, our whole street had boat lift canopies removed on Thursday just in case. No regrets for doing it. We rode out Irma in 100+ mph winds. We know.....
2023 GDRV Reflection 150 226RK
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 01:13 PM   #12

We are leaving tomorrow morning and taking our Sunseeker to Wekiva Falls RV Park. We will see from there if we have to move again. We live right on A1A don’t wont to take the chance.
Dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 01:14 PM   #13

Take it home
twiggw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 01:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Weather.com is your friend..... Category 5, 185mph winds, 100mph wind gusts, slamming the Bahamas right now. Should of moved your camper sooner, good luck.
Old 09-01-2019, 01:20 PM   #15

I'm sure there's room here at the Pine Island KOA. Call it a mini vacation.
Bahamas..... My son and his uncle are there now tending to the uncle's yachts. Good grief.
2023 GDRV Reflection 150 226RK
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 03:27 PM   #16

A six foot fence vs hurricane force winds? Your Sunseeker won't be behind the fence, it will be wearing it. When Charlie hit Port Charlotte, we had-restate "had", a 6 foot fence on our property line. That was gone. Our neighbor's shed split in half. One half went to our left and smeared itself onto a large orchid tree in our side yard. The other half landed on the right side of our property line in small pieces. The same neighbor had a van and fully loaded 12' cargo trailer parked in his driveway. The cargo trailer lifted in a roll over the top of the van, creasing the van roof (roof to roof) on the way over, then landed upright on the opposite side of the van.

We lived a mile from the harbor beaches. Charlie pretty much came up the harbor, so we would have been to the left side (less severe) side of the storm. The damage debris was in the opposite direction of Charlie's path. Winds were recorded at 176 mph on the 4th floor hospital roof in Punta Gorda-just before it became part of the debris. We didn't have a storm surge because of the wind direction. Fort Myers had considerably more surge.

Chances are that your circumstances near the beach will be similar to ours, provided Dorean turns north. But, you have a stronger chance of flood surge, being in a low area two blocks from the water and heavy wind changing to opposite directions. Depending on the position of your MH in relation to wind direction, a six foot fence and a 31' MH won't be much wind resistance for long. It may weather the wind one way, but not the other. What we haven't mentioned yet is the embedded tornadoes in hurricanes. Those can form near and far from the storm eye.

That said, Orlando seems a safer bet. But, as unpredictable as this storm is, that could change. If you haven't departed yet, you may also have a hard road to travel. Going west across FL would be a good bet, but I wouldn't suggest being around Lake O when the outer bands start coming in.

Hopefully the storm track turns north from Bermuda. The national future weather map shows the jet stream coming down into Arkansas and is starting to turn the Dorean out circulation north around the MS/GA border. Once that comes across the Mississippi River, it may start turning the Dorean mass north. We should start to see that happen Monday (hopefully). That's pretty much what the NWS is predicting. We have been holding our breath in Punta Gorda. Your MH is replaceable, just be safe. The prediction for storm surge in your area is 2-4 ft. That's not too bad unless it is affected by the king tides.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 03:30 PM   #17

Free RV parking at Atlanta Motor Speedway in the RV parking area. I believe full hookups are $25 for hurricane.

Florida and Georgia coast is not the place to be. Get inland at least.
Orlando area is expecting rainfall and not high winds. But it doesn't take much to blow over a tall tree in soaked ground.

2019 Ford SD F-350 SRW Lariat
Tow & Gooseneck Prep
FX4 Off Road (4X4)
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 03:33 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windjammin View Post
We live on Merritt Island about 8 miles from the beach and keep our fiver at the house. Yesterday morning I looked at the predictions and decided that the risk was too high to stay at the house. I worried not so much for the house as there is nothing more I could do to protect it but the trailer could be destroyed even though the house survives. So we left the house all sealed up and went to Tampa yesterday. Yesterday afternoon it looked like we over thought the risk but this afternoon I am satisfied with my decision. We will see what happens.

If I lived 2 blocks from the ocean I would be gone no question about it.
You should never overthink your decision. The decision is either right or wrong. You were right to move and this fellow should move his too.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 03:33 PM   #19

Quote:
I would definitely head west. If you are near Daytona, you have some relief knowing it has been predicted now as going north a little more as far as the eye, but the storm winds etc will be still strong where you are. Why not at least head across rte 40 to the Ocala area. I've been through there many times. It might be a good area to be at to get away from the bad stuff.
Retired Electrician, Miller Brewery, 31 yrs.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 03:37 PM   #20

I would shoot across to the West coast, somewhere between St. Pete and Spring Hill.

There's always Walmart, Home Depot, Lowe's, etc. if you can't find an RV Park spot. I would put a sign in windshield "Evacuee" to gain some sympathy from local PD.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, location