Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2013, 06:25 PM   #1

Advice on selling TT

My family (like many) has come into very hard times financially. We want to sell our 2012 Wildwood 26BHXLT. So far the only avenue we have explored is Craigslist with little success. Does anyone have any advice as to another avenue that may be more successful? It is like new and still covered under a transferable extended warrantee. I am thinking a dealership would not be interested unless they can get it at very rock bottom price. We do have to make enough to offset as much of the payoff price as we can which is just under $14,000.00
mewildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:54 PM   #2

Sorry to hear of your troubles, hope you recover soon! To sell your Wildcat check Nada.com for current industry accepted value. Use low retail and no options for true value. Also on this Forum there is a classified section for tons of users. Best of luck.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:00 PM   #3

Realizing the time of year, you may not get what you want or even need out of it until spring. I know when I sold our old tt, it was listed for 4 months with almost no calls. Then starting about the end of February, 2-3 calls a day. It sold to the second person to come look at it.

Good luck.
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:58 PM   #4

I agree time of year is probably the biggest factor. I have used rvt and Rv trader but in all honesty have had best luck with craigslist. Try listing in a few big cities with in a few hundred miles of your location on craigslist. Also there is a free classified section on the forum.
CincyED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:07 PM   #5

I have heard of some dealerships selling on consignment for you. They keep it on their lot and try to sell it for you and take a commission from the sale. Might be worth a shot.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:01 AM   #6
Site Team

yea, you're wanting to sell at the worst time, when RV dealers are dropping prices on new ones, just to get rid of them over the winter, to make room for next years' models in the spring.

unfortunately, according to NADA and with the standard "options" you can't add value for(oven, awning, a/c, microwave and so on), these are the numbers:

high retail- $12,020
average retail- $9,980

this is probably why you're not getting any bites, if you're asking $14k.
i'll bet that right now, you can find new ones selling for close to that.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:49 AM   #7
Camper Less Camping

Dealers won't be interested unless you give it way to them...so that's not an option.

Unfortunately, time of year and how new your RV is will make it very challenging to sell. As another poster listed, realistically your looking between $10K-$11K from a buyer. Hang in there and best of luck on a good buyer for you.

Old 10-30-2013, 07:09 AM   #8

I also wish you luck selling your trailer or times correcting themselves. We bought our trailer about 3 months ago and paid what it was worth. We looked at used POS's with lots of "ewwws". We looked at our trailer and it was 3 years old and AS NEW. Still smelled new. It was what we wanted, so we bought it. There are people looking for nice trailers. In my opinion, advertise as new or very clean or look for yourselves type of deal. If I were hunting and yours fit the bill I wouldn't let the price scare me. Good luck.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:01 AM   #9

First off, if you are asking 14,000, lower that to 13,900. There is a reason things are priced like that. Second, get it spotless. Make sure there is nothing loose, dirty, smelly, etc. If you do get a bite on it, chances are very good that the people looking at it have already been to dozens of campers that are filthy and stink like cigarette smoke or wet dogs. When yours is like new they'll be astonished and ready to deal as opposed to spending hundreds of dollars and hours upon hours of time looking at other nasty campers. Third, post TONS of pictures. When I see a CL ad with 4 vague pics, I move on. LOTS of detailed and good quality pictures will make your camper stand out from all of the others. Fourth, when posting the ad, make sure to be very detailed about what it is. For example: "2013 Wildwood 26BHXS- LIKE NEW" as opposed to "26' Travel Trailer". Fifth, be sure to include keywords at the bottom of your ad that will direct more people to your ad. Include keywords such as fifth wheel, travel trailer, hybrid, bumper pull, and even other popular brand names. Just because it isn't exactly what someone is looking for doesn't mean they won't see your ad and change their mind. Sixth, be ready with the NADA report. A dealer is going to BS you and try to not give you any money beyond the base camper price- but if you have options on your camper, they DO have value. List those on your NADA printout and have it ready. Shoot for high retail if the camper is in exceptional shape. Point out that this is the amount a dealership would ask, but you'd have no history on the camper. Wouldn't you rather buy from the previous owner and KNOW what type of people had this camper and how it was taken care of???
Hope this helps and good luck.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote