Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2016, 01:08 AM   #1

Air Conditioner Airxcel 48000 series

Hi There, we have a 2011 Forest River Mini Lite, 2306. It is new to us and we are preparing for a trip where we anticipate the A/C will come in use. We never had an A/C on our pop up, so no experience in this area.

I am unsure if the A/C is pumping cold air or not. Plugged into shore power and left A/C Unit on high and to coldest position for about 30 minutes, but no noticeable difference in temperature.

How long is reasonable to have to run the A/C to cool down the trailer? From reading posts, I see that we will have to keep trailer as shaded and block out as much light as possible.

If we are in a campsite, where we do not have electricity, how long would we have to run our 3000W generator before we could expect to see a temperature drop in the inside of the trailer?

Any info or tips would be appreciated. We are considering having a HVAC person check out the A/C to see if it is working as it should.

I will put a thermometer in the TT to get a pre and post temp when I try the A/c again over the next few days.

TIA.
The Rockers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 04:03 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rockers View Post
Hi There, we have a 2011 Forest River Mini Lite, 2306. It is new to us and we are preparing for a trip where we anticipate the A/C will come in use. We never had an A/C on our pop up, so no experience in this area.

I am unsure if the A/C is pumping cold air or not. Plugged into shore power and left A/C Unit on high and to coldest position for about 30 minutes, but no noticeable difference in temperature.

How long is reasonable to have to run the A/C to cool down the trailer? From reading posts, I see that we will have to keep trailer as shaded and block out as much light as possible.

If we are in a campsite, where we do not have electricity, how long would we have to run our 3000W generator before we could expect to see a temperature drop in the inside of the trailer?

Any info or tips would be appreciated. We are considering having a HVAC person check out the A/C to see if it is working as it should.

I will put a thermometer in the TT to get a pre and post temp when I try the A/c again over the next few days.

TIA.
It really depends on the inside temp of the unit and the outside You should see about a 17 degree drop across the coil . So if your unit is 80 when you turn it on the best you might be getting is 63 degree air coming out the registers. But as the unit cools the register temp will also drop. At 90 degrees outside and if I'm not in a CG by 3:00PM it will take my A/C until about 8:00PM before it starts to get comfortable inside. If your unit is low on freon the hotter it gets the most noticeable difference will be felt with warmer air coming out, but could still work fine if it was only 70 degrees outside. Once all your stuff inside builds heat from the day the A/C has to remove all that first. An A/C is nothing more then a big dehumidifier. Take some temps at different times of day and see if your keeping up with the load before you call a repair man. If it is a ducted system, try opening the bottom dumps on the panel there should be 3 of them by the R/A in the ceiling. That could help to cool the unit faster and then close them again when it starts to cool your unit. Do you know the size? either it will 13,000 btu or 15000 btu. They under size all these units for the heat loads.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 08:31 AM   #3

Thanks so much. Perhaps I was expecting results much quicker! My only experience with A/C is in a car/truck! The A/C in our TT is AIRXCEL 48000 series, not btus. (as per the operation and maintenance instructions) I am not sure how to know how many BTU's the AC has.

I do not think it is a ducted system, the air blows our from the front and back of the A/C unit on the ceiling. It has a adjustable louvres to direct the air.
The Rockers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 09:02 AM   #4
Professional Curmudgeon

Here is an owner's manual for your air conditioner:
http://www.airxcel.com/docs/default-...s.pdf?sfvrsn=3
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 12:04 PM   #5

You will need to look at the part number to determine your BTU's and go to the AIRXCEL website and download the correct manuals. My trailer has 2 48000 AC. One is a 48254 (15000 btu) and the other is a 48253 (13500 BTU). It takes about a minute and I feel cold air coming out. It does take a while to cool the whole trailer down with just one on.
lmiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 12:19 PM   #6

Also you can get the operating parameters: (this is for a 13500 BTU AC)

http://old.rvcomfort.com/rvp/pdf_doc...sheet_1012.pdf
lmiken is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioner