Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2019, 04:02 PM   #1

Air conditioning air flow in duct work

Any suggestions on how to increase duct flow to the bedroom of my forest river 40ft destination trailer. I have blocked off the ceiling ducts except for bedroom. Is it possible to add a inline duct fan
dmccjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 04:06 PM   #2

they sell them for home use. don't know how you could easily get access to line to add it. lots of threads about disconnected and crushed vent lines causing week flow.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 03:57 PM   #3

My a/c duct extended past the vent opening approximately 2 1/2’ (front bedroom). I made a dam at the opening, preventing the air from going past the vent and forcing the air down into the bedroom. I used aluminum duct tape to form the dam. Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 04:02 PM   #4

Be VERY careful blocking off vents. If you restrict the air flow too much you will ice up the coil. Check the ducts in the ceiling first, might be a broken one. Also check inside the unit. The factory is notorious for not properly sealing the return and supply plenums and a lot of air short circuits back to the return. I sealed my last trailer up real well using foil tape and it made a significant difference. I'm in that business so identifying where to seal is easy but it's pretty easy once you understand how the air flows. There might be a Youtube video, have not checked.
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 01:00 PM   #5

You can also just cut in an additional grill if you have sq duct above ceiling systems work on pressure created in ducts dot block off ducts. Creates airfow issues send freezing
AlanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 02:36 PM   #6

My air duct was partially blocked where the bump in the roof met the flat part. I screwed a couple of round (looked like) vacuum cleaner hoses past the bend and that held the duct open. I get more air to the bedroom and no more freeze ups. I got the hoses from an RV/ camping store. They said they were for getting air into the basement of a fifth wheel. I just repurposed them.
bbbymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 03:10 PM   #7

Always worthwhile to remove the vent covers and look at the ducting runs with a bright light and a mirror held at 45 degrees.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 08:29 AM   #8

You might check to see if the grill fits into the duct properly. Due to the way the luan ceiling plywood can sag sometimes, I found our bedroom grill was pulled away from the duct. Cold air was blowing into the ceiling cavity and going who knows where.

I used some long #6 screws and pulled the luan upward against a joist and made sure the grill pushed into the duct enough. Did the same with a couple of other grills too. I also found some gaps at the AC unit and sealed it up better with some aluminum foil duct tape (the only type of tape to use). Made quite an improvement.
Old 05-03-2019, 08:39 AM   #9
Seanpd

How difficult is it to remove and replace crushed or pinched ducting? I have very little airflow in either bedroom.
Seanpd333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 08:57 AM   #10
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanpd333 View Post
How difficult is it to remove and replace crushed or pinched ducting? I have very little airflow in either bedroom.
Depends on the roof construction.

If your A/C ducting is cut into the Styrofoam of the ceiling, there is no replacing. It is part of the structure.

If it has metal ducting, you'd still need to remove the roof covering.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RadiusRoofDucts.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	203577  

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 07:22 PM   #11

Take your AC cover off and take a look at the ducting at that end also.
Plenty of videos on how a poorly installed RV AC can have ducting and shields loose that really kill AC performance. Using a little Aluminum tape and making sure everything is where it is supposed to be can make a big difference in the temp and amount of air being pushed into the ducting.

Here is one such video but there are multiple to watch for different AC manufactures. Good Luck. Hopefully it's something this easy to fix.