Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2015, 08:31 PM   #1

Alaska Trip

Anyone Planning a trip to Alaska next year? Or has anyone recently completed one? We are wanting to head that way next March or April,leaving from OKC with a open ended return. Just depends on the Oil Industry, whether it is still depressed or picking back up! I'm sure if I head out the diesel prices will probably sky rocket meaning I need to go back to work!
mckirby50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 09:50 PM   #2

Come on up.
March and April are still snow months up here.
Best advice is to by a Alaska Milepost Book.
Also the Alaska State Ferries are going thru some changes due to budget cuts. If you are planning to go or return via the Inside Passage get your reservation in as soon as possible. The schedule only goes to May currently.
Sorry we won't be here as we are heading South at that time.
Larry
Chief4774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 10:06 PM   #3

Alaska 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckirby50 View Post
Anyone Planning a trip to Alaska next year? Or has anyone recently completed one? We are wanting to head that way next March or April,leaving from OKC with a open ended return. Just depends on the Oil Industry, whether it is still depressed or picking back up! I'm sure if I head out the diesel prices will probably sky rocket meaning I need to go back to work!
DH and I are planning to make the trip, departing Colorado late May to early June, open-ended on return, tho we'd like to make the FROG Rally in mid-August in Indiana. We are not taking the Inside Passage. We will use the next few months to do more in-depth planning with maps and sights we don't want to miss. We hope our senior citizen golden retriever (14 y.o.) is able to make the trip.

We'll be checking back on the forum too.
blue river is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 06:41 AM   #4

We are planning a trip in middle of June, open ended. We plan to be in Yellowstone the first of June and leave from Glacier National Park around the 15 of June. DW retires on February 29 and we plan to just take short trips until May and the plan is no plan. We plan to drive no more than 300 miles a day, drive one day and camp 3 days or more. That's the way our plan is for the Alaska trip, drive one day and camp for at least 3 days

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 07:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
We are planning a trip in middle of June, open ended. We plan to be in Yellowstone the first of June and leave from Glacier National Park around the 15 of June. DW retires on February 29 and we plan to just take short trips until May and the plan is no plan. We plan to drive no more than 300 miles a day, drive one day and camp 3 days or more. That's the way our plan is for the Alaska trip, drive one day and camp for at least 3 days

Sounds like a plan. Note: we were at Glacier a few year ago and the road to the sun opened the day before we got there on June 25.

Even if it is closed you will be able to travel about 1/2 of it ?? I'll attach a picture of the road at the top that year. If by chance you are there shortly after they open the road it is awesome. I think that was 2013. !! Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1448539777.145611.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	297.9 KB
ID:	95037
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 08:06 AM   #6

Thanks a lot, I love snow

Old 11-26-2015, 09:15 AM   #7

We spent 3 months touring Alaska a few years ago. Best trip of our life, just be sure your insurance is paid up as your going to need a new windshield when your done!
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 10:52 AM   #8

Is Denali everyone's destination, or going as far north as possible? Any boon docking involved or campgrounds the whole time?
We'll be in a Solera 25' MH hopefully pulling our jeepClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1448552824.867160.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	95045
mckirby50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 01:37 PM   #9

I highly recommend going to Talkeetna and taking a flight up to Denali and landing right on a glacier. It is spectacular and scenic, a breathtaking trip of a lifetime! And K2 does it multiple times per day so they really know what they are doing and are very safety conscious. (Sorry I don't know RV sites there . . . yet!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1448563029.631489.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	95068

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1448563040.981349.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	297.4 KB
ID:	95069

http://www.flyk2.com/mobile/index.html

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Old 11-29-2015, 12:01 AM   #10
RV Vagabond Jerry

Many years ago, I flew to Anchorage and spent 10 days driving all around in a rented campervan. Never once paid to camp, usually stealth camped. Would like to go again in my new motorhome and recently thought of driving up and taking the ferry back, but the ferry cost is outrageous for a long unit, several times more than gas to drive back, and they won't let you stay in it. Gone With the Wynns recently did an Alaska trip with many videos posted on Youtube.
Jerry Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 11:54 PM   #11

I made the trip in summer of 2011 and loved it. I think you can boondock about as much as you want to up there. Look for a place to camp after every river or stream crossing, there is always some place that people have camped there. Also many big turnouts in the road to camp, the state troopers won't bother you for camping there like some places in the lower 48. Two years ago I went from the west coast to the east coast and never payed to camp, in 11,000 miles. Granted east of the Mississippi it is mostly down to Wal-marts, but hey it's free.
Another tip about Alaska is that many of the gas stations will let you dump your tanks and fill with water for free if you fill your fuel tank at their station.
driftcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 01:26 PM   #12

Alaska 2016

Quote:
Is Denali everyone's destination, or going as far north as possible? Any boon docking involved or campgrounds the whole time?
We'll be in a Solera 25' MH hopefully pulling our jeepAttachment 95045
I believe the DH is hoping to do a lot of boondocking. We've not done that before so it's "all part of the adventure" but a little daunting to my mind. And he hasn't studied the map/route so there is no plan for the plan. We aren't doing the US national parks along the way, but our Canadian friends have urged us to stop and see their parks along the way. We want to meet up with a couple of dive buddies in Grand Prairie, so I think that's mid-June. My 2016 Milepost is being shipped as we speak!
blue river is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 01:40 PM   #13
RV Vagabond Jerry

When is the best time in the Spring to cross the border into B.C. heading for Alaska, to be assured snowstorms are over?
Jerry Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 07:51 PM   #14

I plan on driving the Dalton Highway but not with camper. We plan to boondock some but mostly campgrounds.

Old 03-12-2016, 10:54 PM   #15

By mid-May, you have past the snow season.

I do not recommend dragging up a trailer up the Dalton, or driving a MH up there. It is a long drive from Fairbanks, and the last stop for any commercial services is Cold Foot. I worked on the Dalton for 5 years from 2006 to 2011. You are pretty much on your own if something goes wrong.

Old 03-13-2016, 11:30 AM   #16

We made the trip last year crossing into Canada from Montana about June 4th to be hopefully one week ahead of the caravans. The Milepost guide is a must! Wonderful trip! Crossed back near Bellingham, WA. Take your time----much to see and enjoy. Don't worry about your windshield ---roads are well paved despite frequent road repair/construction.

2015 Silverado gas ext cab 2500
2014 Flagstaff 8528IKWS🇺🇸
greymedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 07:49 PM   #17

The DW and I want to go next year and we are open to both the start and return. We are looking at information that Alaska sent us.
db7512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 10:59 PM   #18

Quote:

There is a conversation in the On the road travel section of the forum about a group going to Alaska. Sounds like it will be a good trip

2014 Salem 27RKSS - 2012 F150.
Old 03-16-2016, 08:39 PM   #19
Land of the Midnightsun

I wouldn't recommend the Dalton Hwy eather. I grew up in anchorage and worked on the North Slope 23 yrs. that haul road is not for public and all the silly reality shows are just that. Beware ! My wife and I went back to AK last summer for 3 week vacation and we flew to Anch and rented Moho and had a blast. We talked to a lot of lower 48 rv folks who drove up and they said Al-Can was the worst it's ever been. It is a hard trip on your equipment and I would really think it threw about driving up. Not trying to be a stick in mud but I've drove it twice in pick up and it beat the heck out of it. Most Alaskans ship rv' s in and out they know the Al-Can. Just food for thought
Elite Ready Brutte tow bar & Blue Ox base plate
Never mistake Knowledge for Wisdom. One helps you make a living the other help you make a LIFE.
jjSpeedwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 09:06 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjSpeedwagon View Post
I wouldn't recommend the Dalton Hwy eather. I grew up in anchorage and worked on the North Slope 23 yrs. that haul road is not for public and all the silly reality shows are just that. Beware ! My wife and I went back to AK last summer for 3 week vacation and we flew to Anch and rented Moho and had a blast. We talked to a lot of lower 48 rv folks who drove up and they said Al-Can was the worst it's ever been. It is a hard trip on your equipment and I would really think it threw about driving up. Not trying to be a stick in mud but I've drove it twice in pick up and it beat the heck out of it. Most Alaskans ship rv' s in and out they know the Al-Can. Just food for thought
JJ - who did you work for on the NS? I worked for APSC before deciding to find warmer year-round weather and a place that did not have "termination dust" or a "spring thaw". I lived in Eagle River and traveled the line every summer for our calibration run to all the pump stations. I loved Valdez in the summer. Atigun Pass was fun in the winter! Prudhoe Bay was brutal in the winters...