Old 08-05-2016, 12:38 PM   #1

Alaska Trip - Positive FR Comments

My wife and I just returned from a 3 month long trip to Alaska. We both retired last May and this trip had been in the planning stages for years.
We will not bore you by listing the same information already posted by others like “lucky” in his earlier article posted here.

Instead, I want to write to tell you about OUR rigs. We all complain and fill this site with complains about shoddy work done by Forest River and its many partners and makers of the many models posted in this blog.

We own a 2015 F250 6.7L Diesel towing vehicle and a 37 ft. 2016 Columbus 320RS 5th wheel purchased last August. Initially we had several issues like inoperable slides, bad hot water heater thermostat and worse of all issues; improperly mounted residential fridge. During our trip to winter in Stone Mountain last November, the fridge fell on its face. It had to be replaced.
Considering all these issues and the size (length) of the unit, we had reservations starting this trip. We had researched and heard all the horror stories of the AlCan Highway. Never the less, we embarked on our trip in early May. Drove directly to West Yellowstone where we spent a week enjoying the park. Afterwards, we began our journey north. We were forced to spend another week in Calgary due to weather. We were also forced off the roads due to a snow storm and spent the night in Pink Mountain, British Columbia.

My point telling you all this is to make you aware that these units are well made and can handle just about anything on the roads. Once the “new bugs” are identified and dealt with, you will realize that our units are in fact well made. We could not be prouder of our fiver. Between the beatings it got from the roads; the beatings it received from the weather and the daily use of slides and landing gear for our travels during these last 3 months, one can say that this unit has passed the ultimate test. All with no problems and thank God, it brought us safely home.

One the best moves we made prior to starting this adventure, was the purchase and installation of a tire monitoring system. Our TST 507 system allowed us to monitor the tires but more importantly, it allowed us to relax and enjoy the trip knowing we knew every second the status of the tires. Granted, we made sure they were properly filled on the start of the trip and we were not overweight. During long distances in the Yukon, we too traveled at 5-10 mph to avoid damage to both fiver and tow vehicle. These distances were more than 25 miles long in several stretches that were under repair in early spring/summer.

Our adventure was outstanding and we enjoyed it even more as a result of our rig and how they both behaved during this trip. Thank you Palomino, Forest River and Ford. You made this trip more enjoyable as the result of your well-made products.

Medic97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 12:40 PM   #2

Nice report, thanks!

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3.73 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2017: 4 nights camped, 12 booked
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 01:27 PM   #3

Thanks also for the report. We are beginning the planning stages for a similar trip and are worried about some of the roads, beating on our toy hauler, etc.

Glad to hear you made it without major incidents or problems. Some of the challenges we face traveling make for great stories and memories of the trip.
Old 08-05-2016, 02:34 PM   #4

We are planning on going next year, we wanted to go this but we were having trouble with reservations and turned back. We went to Yellowstone and Glacier and took a short trip into Canada. Next year and we plan on starting trip earlier. We are going to Bar Harbor ME next month and plan on staying some in Canada. I'm glad you had a great trip. I think what I have learned so far is slow down

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 12:48 PM   #5

Alaska trip

What a positive note! We hope to make the trip in the future.

Regards
Fred
Old 08-06-2016, 12:54 PM   #6
(Dry Huunday)

Very Nice! Thx!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 01:56 PM   #7

Thanks for the report. I am the "lucky" you referred to from my Alaska report earlier this summer. We too were very fortunate and only suffered a ding to the windshield for the entire trip. All aspects of our 2015 Sunseeker 3010DS operated perfectly during the trip. We also invested in a TPMS system (Eeztire) prior to the trip and were very glad to be able to monitor the tires during the long stretches of bad roads.
Old 08-06-2016, 01:59 PM   #8

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
We are planning on going next year, we wanted to go this but we were having trouble with reservations and turned back. We went to Yellowstone and Glacier and took a short trip into Canada. Next year and we plan on starting trip earlier. We are going to Bar Harbor ME next month and plan on staying some in Canada. I'm glad you had a great trip. I think what I have learned so far is slow down

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
We went and never had the first reservation. We never got turned away we left camp early and got to the next campground early. We were gone 4 months and most campsites were for 1 nite to a week. we would usually arrive at a campground around noon or so. pay for one night and go exploring. If there were things we wanted to see the next day or so we would extend our stay. The bad/worse things about reservations is being locked into a schedule plus if you get to a bad campground you are stuck. We got to a campground in Alberta late in the afternoon after driving farther than we wanted to and it was a dump. It was too late to go looking for another campground. If you are in a hurry you will not see any thing so do not go. Many times we just stopped along side the road to look and watch the scenery . Alaska has pull offs that you can stay in for free and there are hundreds and hundreds of them....you will not have water and electric so you have to boon dock.....
Old 08-06-2016, 02:03 PM   #9

What a breath of fresh air! Thanks for the update and glad to hear you had such a good experience.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
nights camped 2015-89
2016 - 31
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 02:16 PM   #10

Alaska Trip

We went in 2014 for ten weeks. We towed a 31 foot 27RKSS behind a 6.7L F250 diesel. We did hit a washtub seized pothole, on an actual paved highway, between Fairbanks and Denali, that broke a rear spring requiring a roadside replacement. Otherwise, it was a great trip. We are working with a group of FR owners putting together a trip for 2018. We have about 15 rigs signed up and will take around 20. There is a meeting of ten of the couples at Goshen next Saturday night. Basically, we are doing a 51 day tour from Dawson Creek and back to Dawson Creek and getting group discounts from the RV parks similar to what the commercial tours get. There are also a number of group activities such as the train trip to and from Skagway from Whitehorse and Sea Life/Glacier cruises in Seward and Valdez. In summary a great trip with a group of FR owners from all over the U.S. for about 60% of what the commercial tours cost and possibly for less than you could do it individually. If you would like to know more email me at pmsto@peoplepc.com

Pete S.