Old 06-17-2016, 01:12 PM   #11

If it all works out, great!! I always have a plan "B" on long hauls myself, just saying. Things like road construction, unplanned traffic is areas due to who knows what and god forbid and mechanical issues. I did Zion NP to Sparks NV last year in 1 day, 571 miles with TT and no child (retired) and that was a long day for us with open road and no stops but fuel. Good luck!

Old 06-17-2016, 01:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by labarn View Post
My guess is if you have china bombs on the trailer you will have a tire problem and mess up your schedule. Plus being tired. Hope it works out great.

chevman
Wow....Thanks for your input and great hopes! I would call it more of a plan than a schedule too....I don't think anybody on this forum leaves home without a plan.

Life is good...Live it!
(2014) Nights Camped - 16 in 6 trips (2015) Nights Camped - 20 in 6 trips
(2016) Nights Camped - 21 in 7 trips
(2017) at least 23 Nights Planned in at least 6 trips!
JustB_Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 01:29 PM   #13

It can be done. My family and I (we have 3 kids the oldest 4) live in Ohio and took a trip out west last year with the travel trailer that many would have said would have been impossible to do and impossible to enjoy. Best trip I've ever taken. Just do as you've planned and take a break when you need to. Also know that something is going to go wrong, and be as prepared as possible to handle it when it does and don't stress when it does. And realize that while you hope to be somewhere by a certain time you might not be.
Old 06-17-2016, 01:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbuzz54 View Post
If it all works out, great!! I always have a plan "B" on long hauls myself, just saying. Things like road construction, unplanned traffic is areas due to who knows what and god forbid and mechanical issues. I did Zion NP to Sparks NV last year in 1 day, 571 miles with TT and no child (retired) and that was a long day for us with open road and no stops but fuel. Good luck!
Thanks for the input! I have no doubt it will be a long day. I'm just not sure leaving Friday after work would make anything any easier in the long run.

Life is good...Live it!
Old 06-17-2016, 01:34 PM   #15

Only half the trip!

Don't forget you have the same thing for the return trip! Monday??
Old 06-17-2016, 01:34 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmign View Post
It can be done. My family and I (we have 3 kids the oldest 4) live in Ohio and took a trip out west last year with the travel trailer that many would have said would have been impossible to do and impossible to enjoy. Best trip I've ever taken. Just do as you've planned and take a break when you need to. Also know that something is going to go wrong, and be as prepared as possible to handle it when it does and don't stress when it does. And realize that while you hope to be somewhere by a certain time you might not be.
Thanks! I always set a time I would "Like" and a time I'd be reasonably happy with for both leaving and arriving....I have to with my wife.....otherwise I just end up getting frustrated!

Life is good...Live it!
Old 06-17-2016, 01:36 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnking View Post
Don't forget you have the same thing for the return trip! Monday??
No, we're staying the week in Branson, leaving Branson Friday morning and spending the afternoon/evening in St. Louis. Then we can take as long as we need to get home on Saturday and have Sunday (10th) to recover! I figure the excitement of being on vacation will be all I need to get us there.....that's why we're 2 daying it on the way home, plus we can sight see in St. Louis.

Life is good...Live it!
Old 06-17-2016, 01:36 PM   #18
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Sounds good on paper but averaging 50 MPH over the course of a long trip, towing a trailer is about all your going to get.
That's what we average. And by average I mean miles traveled divided by time on the road. Time on the road includes time spent in gas stations, lunch stops, etc. (I, too, use 50 mph as my speed for trip planning purposes.)
The OP is not including his stops in his time on the road, so his average speed while traveling will be higher.
Taking his miles and his figuring on 13.5 hrs. of time on the road (04:30 to 1800 hrs,), he will average appx. 47 mph. This is right at your (and my) planning average of 50 mph.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 01:38 PM   #19

Just took a trip to Yosemite and back last month. The longest day I did was 530 miles. So, add another 2 hours to what I did. around 9 or 10 hours I think. I had no problems driving that far since I do enjoy driving. Was a long way though we did make several stops. 2 women and 4 dogs.. I'm sure you can do it to get to the fun stuff.
2016 Ford F350 XLT 6.7 Powerstroke DRW 4X4
2016 Brookstone 395RL
dwayneb236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 01:38 PM   #20

Sounds like a plan, just do it! He or she might just surprize you and be an angel. If not, find a McDonalds with a play area and let him burn some energy off and might take a nap for a couple of hours.
How big of a gas tank do you have to make it to normal/Bloomington, IL? I thinks it closer to 4 hours from MKE!
Let us know how it goes!
Enjoy your trip!!!

2016 Rockwood, ROO 21SS, pulled by a 2015 F150 XT, Super Cab, 2.7L Eco Boost, with 3.55 axle. Electric 6-speed auto trans w/tow mod. Tow package & integrated trailer brake. 7,600 lb. tow capacity. 145” wheel base. Equalizer 4 point W/D hitch.
djemgoss is offline   Reply With Quote