Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2016, 07:48 AM   #41

I used to leave at 11pm so the kids could sleep through most of the journey. Stop for breakfast and some run around time and then finish the trip. You have to do what you think is best for you and your family.
Old 06-18-2016, 08:17 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverArrowPro View Post
I used to leave at 11pm so the kids could sleep through most of the journey. Stop for breakfast and some run around time and then finish the trip. You have to do what you think is best for you and your family.
I would try that, but I have a really hard time staying awake after midnight, especially driving!
JustB_Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 08:27 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustB_Rad View Post
I would try that, but I have a really hard time staying awake after midnight, especially driving!
Sure not a good idea to drive tired !!!
I think these days we have a lot of truck drivers doing that,,,
And maybe even some Bus drivers !!!
And I forgot about Train Engineers !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 09:16 AM   #44

Going through St Louis, I am not sure about traffic increased by the Cardinal game, but going through on 44 might be a better way then going around St Louis as 270 can be pretty congested.
Highway 44 can be a very dangerous highway to run. Watch out the first 50 miles especially. Around Eureka traffic could come to a stand still at any time due to Six Flags Over Mid America. Once you get through there, the traffic will move pretty well. The highway has a lot of curves and hills so you would do better at a lower speed. There is a rest area just past St Clair going off to the left side of the highway so if you need to stop and rest this is a good place.
From St Clair on out it is pretty easy driving. They do a lot of road work on highway 44 during the summer months but I am not sure of any right now.
Make sure you have the latest maps of Branson and know the by-passes around Branson as highway 76 gets really crowded during the day and can be really bad in the evening when the shows are starting or ending.
We will be going to Branson in Oct. and usually make the trip once or twice a year. We are just west of St Louis off of highway 70.
If you have a cell phone get the app for gas buddy to find the best prices for gas it might save you some money.
There is also a Walmart and a Cracker Barrel in Sullivan. I don't think that you can drive RV's into Walmart's lot but there is parking on the outskirts of their lot, {no overnighting unless this has changed}
Good luck on your travels and be careful. Enjoy your Vacation.
Wattsworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 11:55 AM   #45

We just completed our second long distancestors trip. First was to Disney world from Fort Worth, TX in 2 days and the 2nd from dfw to Marshall mi then back to Branson.

I Have A 42.5 Fiver, A 9 Year On And A 2 Yesr Old. Going to FL we averaged 50mph for the trip including stops. We limited our stops as much as possible. Long drI've but was worth it.

For our MI trip it took a total of 22 hours driving over 2 days. We decided to stop every half tank to fill up and stretch a bit. We brought food in the camper and grabbed sandwiches instead of taking long breaks.
KIPKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 05:22 PM   #46

Being out here in West Texas, 500-600 mile trips are common to get anywhere fun. We just got back from the coast, which is just over 500 miles away. Next week we are off to Colorado, at 650 miles each way. While I definitely can and regularly do that mileage in a day, the wife and I have found out that we really enjoy leaving the night before. I get off work, we hit the road about 7ish. I drive until I get tired. That may be 2 hours, it might be 4+, who knows, depends on what my week has been like. When it's time to stop, I find somewhere quiet and level so I don't have to unhook. I drop the power rear stabilizers to stop every gust of wind from rocking the trailer and hit the sack. Wake up early in the morning, pull the stabilizers, and hit the road. We have found that this adds a lot of time to the vacation, since instead of driving all day, we usually get to our destination about noon. Plus it allows some extra time for whatever Murphy decides to throw our way. I really don't like getting to a campground at midnight and then having to set up without waking up half the park. Plus my trailer is tall and campgrounds in the dark are difficult. I had a KOA employee leading me to a site one night, and if I hadn't been paying attention he would have taken out my air conditioner by guiding me under a tree that my rig wouldn't even come close to clearing.

I'm kind of wordy at times. Bottom line, if you absolutely have to do that drive in a day, it's doable. If you can get a few hours head start the night before, it makes your next day much more relaxing and enjoyable. This is all about relaxing, right?

Demco 18k Autoslide
2012 Puma Unleashed 356QLB toy hauler
Toys - CRF250X, CRF250R, CRF450R, TTR230, TRX250EX, STX-1500 jet ski
rmoore0852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 05:37 PM   #47

Quote:
I have a dilemma.

Thoughts on my madness?
I have been following this thread, I hope you will share the actual results of your plans. There is something to be learned from this.
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 07:49 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmoore0852 View Post
Being out here in West Texas, 500-600 mile trips are common to get anywhere fun. We just got back from the coast, which is just over 500 miles away. Next week we are off to Colorado, at 650 miles each way. While I definitely can and regularly do that mileage in a day, the wife and I have found out that we really enjoy leaving the night before. I get off work, we hit the road about 7ish. I drive until I get tired. That may be 2 hours, it might be 4+, who knows, depends on what my week has been like. When it's time to stop, I find somewhere quiet and level so I don't have to unhook. I drop the power rear stabilizers to stop every gust of wind from rocking the trailer and hit the sack. Wake up early in the morning, pull the stabilizers, and hit the road. We have found that this adds a lot of time to the vacation, since instead of driving all day, we usually get to our destination about noon. Plus it allows some extra time for whatever Murphy decides to throw our way. I really don't like getting to a campground at midnight and then having to set up without waking up half the park. Plus my trailer is tall and campgrounds in the dark are difficult. I had a KOA employee leading me to a site one night, and if I hadn't been paying attention he would have taken out my air conditioner by guiding me under a tree that my rig wouldn't even come close to clearing.

I'm kind of wordy at times. Bottom line, if you absolutely have to do that drive in a day, it's doable. If you can get a few hours head start the night before, it makes your next day much more relaxing and enjoyable. This is all about relaxing, right?
You are lucky, it takes me two days to get out of Texas. I am in the RGV

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:18 AM   #49

Well, being in the northeast part of Texas in the Ft Worth area I can actually leave the state in around 2 hours. Now going southwest it may take a bit longer to get out. It's not a small place is it?
2016 Ford F350 XLT 6.7 Powerstroke DRW 4X4
2016 Brookstone 395RL
dwayneb236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 10:02 AM   #50

I'm in Midland. I can be out of the state in about an hour westbound, but that's just southern NM, which is more of the same. Eastbound, basically a long travel day just to hit Louisiana. Yeah, most people don't realize how big Texas is unless you have driven across it. Half the trip is getting out of this state!!

Midland is awesome. We have trees, water, hills, lakes, and mountains. Just have to drive 4 hours in any direction to get to them, lol.

Demco 18k Autoslide
2012 Puma Unleashed 356QLB toy hauler
Toys - CRF250X, CRF250R, CRF450R, TTR230, TRX250EX, STX-1500 jet ski
rmoore0852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 10:32 AM   #51

Where are you staying in Branson? The colored routes can save you time, If you get off on Hwy 76 (The Strip) it can cost you 30 minutes to get across town out toward Silver Dollar City. Lots of new & exciting things here this year...the relocated navy Pier Ferris Wheel opens this week. let me know & I can probably get you around town with ease.

Branson, MO
jeffseay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 10:36 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffseay View Post
Where are you staying in Branson? The colored routes can save you time, If you get off on Hwy 76 (The Strip) it can cost you 30 minutes to get across town out toward Silver Dollar City. Lots of new & exciting things here this year...the relocated navy Pier Ferris Wheel opens this week. let me know & I can probably get you around town with ease.
We are staying at the Wilderness @Silver Dollar City because we got a good rate with a season pass discount! I saw that the wheel is almost ready! We don't have much of an itinerary because of the little man, but we know we're going to SDC one day, White Water another and a beach day at Moonshine. Plus we have to figure out where to go watch the best fireworks!

Life is good...Live it!
Nights Camped - (2014) - 16 in 6 trips (2015) - 20 in 6 trips
(2016) - 21 in 7 trips
(2017) - 12 in 3 and going seasonal for at least the rest of the year!
Old 06-20-2016, 10:50 AM   #53

I also believe that schedules are for work. All you are doing is setting yourself up for frustration. One little thing goes wrong and there goes the schedule and now all that planning is out the window and you're frustrated.
It's a vacation and you're supposed to have fun. Park the rv in the driveway, plug it in so the fridge works. Pack everything the day before your 4am scheduled time of departure. Do your normal routine and as soon as the little one falls asleep, carry it to the car seat, jump in and go! (Don't forget to unplug the rv). Let's say that's 8:30. Now you are 8 hrs ahead of the schedule. Drive till you're tired and stop for a snooze. Let's say you sleep for 4 hrs. You are still 4 hrs ahead of the schedule. The little one should sleep all night. Bring snacks to keep your going until breakfast. 600 miles a day is doable just go with the flow. Every few hrs stop for a few minutes at a rest area and go for a little walk. Get some fresh air, wash your face with cool water.
Go for it. Have a great vacation and drive safe!
2011 Puma 295kbh
larryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 11:21 AM   #54

Quote:
We are staying at the Wilderness @Silver Dollar City because we got a good rate with a season pass discount! I saw that the wheel is almost ready! We don't have much of an itinerary because of the little man, but we know we're going to SDC one day, White Water another and a beach day at Moonshine. Plus we have to figure out where to go watch the best fireworks!
Heading South bound on Hwy 65 from Springfield you will want to take Hwy 465, the Ozark Mountain Highroad about 5 miles North of Branson. This will virtually deliver you right to Hwy 265 & the front door of you campground. Right at the entrance of you campground is Billy Gails Restaurant...best breakfast in Branson! A close second is the Hungry Hunter just past Moonshine Beach at the entrance of the State park. The Chateau near Moonshine Beach does their shoot on the 3rd & Big Cedar Lodge does theirs on the 4th that I believe you can also see from Moonshine Beach. The Branson landing does thiers on the 3rd, but it is a logistical nightmare unless you get there before 4PM. If you plan on buying some fireworks to shoot off yourself, come see me at our tent setup in front of the Imax Theatre & introduce yourself...we will be open until July 5th. You will be able to get SDC & White Water combo tickets at your campground. You need to be at White Water before they open to get any shade...so arrive early!

Branson, MO
jeffseay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 11:37 AM   #55

We took epic journeys across the country pulling a pup when the kids were young.

DW fixed up cheap (mostly) goody bags to be able to bring out a new toy or activity, occasionally. Some of them were things they hadn't played with for a while, but still new to them.

Be sure to stop and walk around a bit if your eyes get heavy, regardless of schedule.
Old 06-20-2016, 11:46 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffseay View Post
Heading South bound on Hwy 65 from Springfield you will want to take Hwy 465, the Ozark Mountain Highroad about 5 miles North of Branson. This will virtually deliver you right to Hwy 265 & the front door of you campground. Right at the entrance of you campground is Billy Gails Restaurant...best breakfast in Branson! A close second is the Hungry Hunter just past Moonshine Beach at the entrance of the State park. The Chateau near Moonshine Beach does their shoot on the 3rd & Big Cedar Lodge does theirs on the 4th that I believe you can also see from Moonshine Beach. The Branson landing does thiers on the 3rd, but it is a logistical nightmare unless you get there before 4PM. If you plan on buying some fireworks to shoot off yourself, come see me at our tent setup in front of the Imax Theatre & introduce yourself...we will be open until July 5th. You will be able to get SDC & White Water combo tickets at your campground. You need to be at White Water before they open to get any shade...so arrive early!
Thank You for all the advice! We can't wait to be there!

Life is good...Live it!
(2016) - 21 in 7 trips
Old 06-20-2016, 03:01 PM   #57
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
If your into the shows, Six is very good
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:41 AM   #58

Just wanted to post an update from our trip! We left home at 4:45AM on July 2nd, and of course, the toddler didn't sleep a wink when we initially left home! 45 Min into the drive, I passed through a wayside to get his video's going! He stayed awake for another 2 hours after that. 2 Hours in, I had to stop and get another video going for him, so we stopped at a gas station and topped off. Of course, about 15 minutes before we were supposed to stop in Bloomington, IL for breakfast, he fell asleep, so we drove until he woke up, which was Lincoln, IL and had breakfast there instead. I topped off in Lincoln after breakfast and about an hour South of there, I got tired and got a 20 Min relief drive from the Mrs. before we got to St. Louis, so there were 2 more short stops at the top of Off/On Ramps. That 20 min power nap was AWESOME and exactly what I needed. I didn't feel tired the entire rest of the trip! We then drove through St. Louis and made it all the way to Sullivan, MO, where we just stopped for a quick lunch an Micky D's....unfortunately, a half hour later we needed to make an emergency bathroom break for the Mrs....and then again in another half hour AGAIN! We were then FINALLY able to make our push to Branson. We made the 640 Mile drive in 13 hours and 30 Min, pulling in at 6:15 PM. We averaged (Including stops) 47 mph...while actually driving at about 65....we used 70 gallons of fuel and averaged 9MPG.

The way home was MUCH smoother. After losing 2 days of doing stuff in Branson due to bad weather and the baby having a fever, we decided to stay an extra night there and 1 day it back! We left Branson at 7:15AM and made it almost all the way to Eureka before we needed to stop and get fuel. The baby slept most of that leg. After that stop we we drove 2 more hours before we stopped for lunch (waited until the baby woke up)...that put us just North of Springfield, IL....just out of range for making it home on fuel....so we waited until the fuel light went on to make our final fuel stop in El Paso, IL. Once we got through that, we made one short potty break at a wayside in Illinois about an hour and half later and that was it! We were home by 7:00PM!!! 11 Hours and 45 Min on the drive back! We averaged 54mph and 8.7mpg on the way back and about 65mph on the highway.

Thanks for all your input everybody! It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, but I surely wouldn't want to put any more miles in than that in a day!

Life is good...Live it!
(2016) - 21 in 7 trips
Old 07-11-2016, 08:36 AM   #59

Sounds like most of us were pretty good on our predictions - even doing 65 mph, most of us only average around 50-55 mph on an all-day drive.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 10:24 AM   #60
Insert witty title here

700 miles is a very full day of driving when hauling my TT. That includes stops for gas, meals and potty breaks.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote