Old 06-17-2016, 02:35 PM   #31

I would not worry to much about the baby. Bring a lot of toys along to keep him entertained. The only thing that could make the trip a bummer is if the baby is cranky or not feeling good. Lucky for us, our son would fall asleep in the car as soon as we got moving. I always worried if he would fall asleep at the wheel when he got older. He doesn't, but still falls asleep as a passenger. Good luck on your trip and have fun. Like someone said, schedules are for work.

2015 23BD Grey Wolf, 2012 Chevy Silverado 1500
2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights
Life is short
mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 02:50 PM   #32

I say go for it. Even trips from hell leave lasting good memories and make for good tales around the water cooler.

2016 212HW led valiantly into the beyond by a 2010 Track Edition Ford Ranger 4x4.

Nights camped 2016: 14
Nights camped 2017: 1 (so far)
Luv70sFords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 02:57 PM   #33

Isn't this what it's all about? Travel and adventure. Just GO! Have fun!

Bruce
Old 06-17-2016, 02:57 PM   #34

Thanks for all the input and reassurances! Hopefully all goes smoothly and when we have problems that they're minor!

Life is good...Live it!
(2014) Nights Camped - 16 in 6 trips (2015) Nights Camped - 20 in 6 trips
(2016) Nights Camped - 21 in 7 trips
(2017)16 Night Booked in 4 Trips - 6 in 2 more Trips Planned
JustB_Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 05:34 PM   #35

When my girls were young I would come home from work and get on the road asap. I would go as far as possible while everyone slept. When tired would pull off at a rest stop or ??? and nap. Any trip over 550 miles I figure 2 days but all depends on how I feel behind the wheel. I've been retired nearly 14 years and have no reason to drive at night but at times that is relaxing ~~ coming home from FL drove 13 hours (almost 800 miles) as traffic was light and my wife was sleeping.
CaptnJohn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 06:24 PM   #36
Professional Curmudgeon

I think 50 mph average is rather generous. My trips average out to more like 45 mph. One thing I noticed was your comment about stopping for the night along the way, and the trouble required to set up for one night. We often stop at interstate rest stops for the night on long drives (driving to Oklahoma for example). Cracker Barrel or Walmart would work too. I don't put down stabilizers or any of that stuff, simply lock the truck and climb into the camper. We'll generally eat sandwiches (no microwave) then go to bed. I might stay up and read for a bit, but that's about it. We could take a shower if we wanted, but don't normally mess with it until we get where we are going.
I suppose a 1 year old might complicate things a bit, but I wouldn't think he'd make that much difference...
2012 F250 Lariat 6.2L Crew Cab FX4
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 08:43 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
I think 50 mph average is rather generous. My trips average out to more like 45 mph. One thing I noticed was your comment about stopping for the night along the way, and the trouble required to set up for one night. We often stop at interstate rest stops for the night on long drives (driving to Oklahoma for example). Cracker Barrel or Walmart would work too. I don't put down stabilizers or any of that stuff, simply lock the truck and climb into the camper. We'll generally eat sandwiches (no microwave) then go to bed. I might stay up and read for a bit, but that's about it. We could take a shower if we wanted, but don't normally mess with it until we get where we are going.
I suppose a 1 year old might complicate things a bit, but I wouldn't think he'd make that much difference...
We do about the same. We often will have the radio on. We will eat, shower, and read to help relax before sleep. Almost never Cracker Barrel as they are usually off the interstates and never Walmart. If warm enough for a fan or want tv an extension cord can be run from the truck. Rest stops for a short stay is most comfortable unless a CG is desired. If so, connecting to utilities is only 15 minutes and do not bother to unhitch.
CaptnJohn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:32 PM   #38

Lots of good advice above. Our girls are older now (9 and 6), but on a recent trip from Indy to Disney, we did a short evening drive after work. Got about 5 hrs in before we stopped at a campground right next to the interstate. Parked, plugged in electric, put slides out, and went to bed.
In the morning, got everyone in the truck eating breakfast while I brought slides in, disconnected power. Other than the time we were actually sleeping, we were only in the campground for about 45 minutes.

The key to an overnight stop on a long trip is minimal setup!
ProPride Hitch
purduepete97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 10:10 PM   #39
Fulltime family RVer

Like wrvond, our average time works out to be 45mph or even less. I've gone a few 600-650 mile days and 13-14 hours is very realistic.

I wouldn't go out of my way to find a play area. Some grass, a ball, and chasing daddy goes a long way.

We have traveled with our kids from little on up. My son just turned 4 and our first long distance trip was when he was about 7 weeks old.

If you do decide to do overnights, try to consider that plan ahead of time. Setup the camper to have as minimal work inside as possible. For us, when my son was a baby- that meant we had to setup his pack and plan (and break it down). But if we overnighted in a campground, I only plugged in electric (I carried water in the tank and didn't use enough gray/black to warrant dumping). I don't unhitch or do anything with stabilizers. With Walmarts, we obviously don't even include electricity- just park, deploy slides on one side, and head in.

I agree with nomad: go, adventure, and have fun!
Old 06-18-2016, 07:43 AM   #40

625 miles,,, perfect distance for a 2 day trip !!!
Find a nice State park about half way,,, have a couple of cold ones,,,
and chill for the night !!!

Take Care & Drive Careful !!!