Old 06-18-2016, 07:48 AM   #41

I used to leave at 11pm so the kids could sleep through most of the journey. Stop for breakfast and some run around time and then finish the trip. You have to do what you think is best for you and your family.

Old 06-18-2016, 08:17 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverArrowPro View Post
I used to leave at 11pm so the kids could sleep through most of the journey. Stop for breakfast and some run around time and then finish the trip. You have to do what you think is best for you and your family.
I would try that, but I have a really hard time staying awake after midnight, especially driving!

Old 06-18-2016, 08:27 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustB_Rad View Post
I would try that, but I have a really hard time staying awake after midnight, especially driving!
Sure not a good idea to drive tired !!!
I think these days we have a lot of truck drivers doing that,,,
And maybe even some Bus drivers !!!
And I forgot about Train Engineers !!!
Old 06-18-2016, 09:16 AM   #44

Going through St Louis, I am not sure about traffic increased by the Cardinal game, but going through on 44 might be a better way then going around St Louis as 270 can be pretty congested.
Highway 44 can be a very dangerous highway to run. Watch out the first 50 miles especially. Around Eureka traffic could come to a stand still at any time due to Six Flags Over Mid America. Once you get through there, the traffic will move pretty well. The highway has a lot of curves and hills so you would do better at a lower speed. There is a rest area just past St Clair going off to the left side of the highway so if you need to stop and rest this is a good place.
From St Clair on out it is pretty easy driving. They do a lot of road work on highway 44 during the summer months but I am not sure of any right now.
Make sure you have the latest maps of Branson and know the by-passes around Branson as highway 76 gets really crowded during the day and can be really bad in the evening when the shows are starting or ending.
We will be going to Branson in Oct. and usually make the trip once or twice a year. We are just west of St Louis off of highway 70.
If you have a cell phone get the app for gas buddy to find the best prices for gas it might save you some money.
There is also a Walmart and a Cracker Barrel in Sullivan. I don't think that you can drive RV's into Walmart's lot but there is parking on the outskirts of their lot, {no overnighting unless this has changed}
Good luck on your travels and be careful. Enjoy your Vacation.
Old 06-18-2016, 11:55 AM   #45

We just completed our second long distancestors trip. First was to Disney world from Fort Worth, TX in 2 days and the 2nd from dfw to Marshall mi then back to Branson.

I Have A 42.5 Fiver, A 9 Year On And A 2 Yesr Old. Going to FL we averaged 50mph for the trip including stops. We limited our stops as much as possible. Long drI've but was worth it.

For our MI trip it took a total of 22 hours driving over 2 days. We decided to stop every half tank to fill up and stretch a bit. We brought food in the camper and grabbed sandwiches instead of taking long breaks.
Old 06-19-2016, 05:22 PM   #46

Being out here in West Texas, 500-600 mile trips are common to get anywhere fun. We just got back from the coast, which is just over 500 miles away. Next week we are off to Colorado, at 650 miles each way. While I definitely can and regularly do that mileage in a day, the wife and I have found out that we really enjoy leaving the night before. I get off work, we hit the road about 7ish. I drive until I get tired. That may be 2 hours, it might be 4+, who knows, depends on what my week has been like. When it's time to stop, I find somewhere quiet and level so I don't have to unhook. I drop the power rear stabilizers to stop every gust of wind from rocking the trailer and hit the sack. Wake up early in the morning, pull the stabilizers, and hit the road. We have found that this adds a lot of time to the vacation, since instead of driving all day, we usually get to our destination about noon. Plus it allows some extra time for whatever Murphy decides to throw our way. I really don't like getting to a campground at midnight and then having to set up without waking up half the park. Plus my trailer is tall and campgrounds in the dark are difficult. I had a KOA employee leading me to a site one night, and if I hadn't been paying attention he would have taken out my air conditioner by guiding me under a tree that my rig wouldn't even come close to clearing.

I'm kind of wordy at times. Bottom line, if you absolutely have to do that drive in a day, it's doable. If you can get a few hours head start the night before, it makes your next day much more relaxing and enjoyable. This is all about relaxing, right?
Toys - CRF250X, CRF250R, CRF450R, CRF150F, TTR230, TRX250EX
rmoore0852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 05:37 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustB_Rad View Post
I have a dilemma.

Thoughts on my madness?
I have been following this thread, I hope you will share the actual results of your plans. There is something to be learned from this.
Wobbles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 07:49 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmoore0852 View Post
Being out here in West Texas, 500-600 mile trips are common to get anywhere fun. We just got back from the coast, which is just over 500 miles away. Next week we are off to Colorado, at 650 miles each way. While I definitely can and regularly do that mileage in a day, the wife and I have found out that we really enjoy leaving the night before. I get off work, we hit the road about 7ish. I drive until I get tired. That may be 2 hours, it might be 4+, who knows, depends on what my week has been like. When it's time to stop, I find somewhere quiet and level so I don't have to unhook. I drop the power rear stabilizers to stop every gust of wind from rocking the trailer and hit the sack. Wake up early in the morning, pull the stabilizers, and hit the road. We have found that this adds a lot of time to the vacation, since instead of driving all day, we usually get to our destination about noon. Plus it allows some extra time for whatever Murphy decides to throw our way. I really don't like getting to a campground at midnight and then having to set up without waking up half the park. Plus my trailer is tall and campgrounds in the dark are difficult. I had a KOA employee leading me to a site one night, and if I hadn't been paying attention he would have taken out my air conditioner by guiding me under a tree that my rig wouldn't even come close to clearing.

I'm kind of wordy at times. Bottom line, if you absolutely have to do that drive in a day, it's doable. If you can get a few hours head start the night before, it makes your next day much more relaxing and enjoyable. This is all about relaxing, right?
You are lucky, it takes me two days to get out of Texas. I am in the RGV
2015 23BD Grey Wolf, 2012 Chevy Silverado 1500
2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights
Life is short
mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:18 AM   #49

Well, being in the northeast part of Texas in the Ft Worth area I can actually leave the state in around 2 hours. Now going southwest it may take a bit longer to get out. It's not a small place is it?
2016 Ford F350 XLT 6.7 Powerstroke DRW 4X4
2016 Brookstone 395RL
dwayneb236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 10:02 AM   #50

I'm in Midland. I can be out of the state in about an hour westbound, but that's just southern NM, which is more of the same. Eastbound, basically a long travel day just to hit Louisiana. Yeah, most people don't realize how big Texas is unless you have driven across it. Half the trip is getting out of this state!!

Midland is awesome. We have trees, water, hills, lakes, and mountains. Just have to drive 4 hours in any direction to get to them, lol.

Toys - CRF250X, CRF250R, CRF450R, CRF150F, TTR230, TRX250EX
rmoore0852 is offline   Reply With Quote