Old 08-12-2016, 04:20 PM   #1
Allowable trailer length in campsite

Got another newbie question for you guys. We are considering buying a Salem 27RKSS. The salesman, and we know they are always 100% honest 😉, says I should look for a 30' spot site since this is classified as a 27' trailer. However, the total length is 33' from nose to tail.

So when checking campsites, I see a lot more 30' spots than I do 40'. Now we are concerned that we would be too limited on where we can go.

All advice will be appreciated on this. Every time we come close to pulling the trigger to buy this thing we seem to hit another snag.

Thanks in advance!

95tigeralum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 04:28 PM   #2
We have always looked at whether we can get the RV and tow vehicle both in the site. Consider that you need to always fit both in your site and NOT off pavement.

donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 04:30 PM   #3
It depends on where you want to camp at. Most places ask how long you are. You should not have a problem, some National Park campgrounds but a 33ft camper should be no problem. My camper is 35ft.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2015 Cedar Creek 32RL
2012 Silverado 3500HD SRW
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 04:37 PM   #4
All of the campgrounds that I stay at all want to know what you are camping in (TT, class A etc ) the length of the unit and how many slides and if you want full hookup and 30 or 50 amp. They do the rest. So far their picks have worked out. I believe they usually want to put you in a good place. ( because they was a favorable review along with your return visit). In Virginia a lot of the park service campgrounds are unable to handle larger units, just no room for the trees and such. Go ahead and purchase the trailer and enjoy. Leave the headaches to the campground. DISCLAIMER;; every now and then some campgrounds will try to fit you in a place that you can't fit in especially during holidays. During those time make you reservations well in advance.
Chuck " still in Va "
2012 3065w Windjammer
2012 f250 lariat Crew cab power stroke (of course )
Charles Firth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 08:51 PM   #5
Head Rambler
I always go by the total length of the RV including the tongue. That way I'm always sure it'll fit.
Salem 29RKSS Pushing a 2500 Mega-Cab CTD!
Gotta go campin!
Bama Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 12:25 PM   #6
I've been camping with my TT for 10 years, I always figure the trailer length to be with the hitch. I have never had a site that was so short that my TV stuck out in the road when I backed in. There were always plenty of room in front.
RitaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 12:39 PM   #7
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
I always go by the total length of the RV including the tongue. That way I'm always sure it'll fit.
We do too. We have Hemisphere. The box is 26 fort, but we go with the 30 ft. Sites. We have not had a problem fitting on the sites.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 12:48 PM   #8
I have the same trailer only a wildwood, have never had a problem. most campsites want to know whether your an A-liner to large Ceder Creek so they can manage their sites
2015 Wildwood 27RKSS
2015 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
Broadway Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 01:01 PM   #9
I have found that most State and National Parks have lots of spaces for 30' or less, you can usually find spots if you are 35' or less
radman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 09:57 PM   #10
Global Nomad
I have a 40' 5th wheel (actually 39.7) pulled by a 21' TV (actually 21.3). This year I have traveled from Maryland to Florida Keys and back, and from Maryland to Michigan, now circling Lake Michigan. I have not had any trouble finding suitable sites. Usually the campground host will send someone to the campsite with me to insure I can maneuver into the site. As stated above, buy what YOU want, the campsites will cater to you.

Steven J. Scheinin
2015 RAM 3500 4X4
6.7L CTD Dually pulling a
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Scheinin is offline   Reply With Quote