Old 08-16-2012, 12:14 PM   #1

Almost full timing

I am retiring in Nov. 2012 Plans are to get a new fifth wheel. I may not be fulltiming but pretty close. What does Forest River sell for that category? Looking for triple slide and no more than 34' long (max) or what are their fulltiming brands?

Old 08-16-2012, 12:25 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes
I am retiring in Nov. 2012 Plans are to get a new fifth wheel. I may not be fulltiming but pretty close. What does Forest River sell for that category? Looking for triple slide and no more than 34' long (max) or what are their fulltiming brands?
The DW and I recently purchased the Columbus 320RS. Very nice unit for full timing or near full timing. Has WD connection, generator prep, ducted second ac and other extras.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:31 PM   #3

Too long

I look at the Columbus but it is too long. I have talked to way too many camper that could not camp in the spot they wanted because of trailer length, but I would be very interested if shorter. Anyone know anything about the Columbus 295 model which is shorter?
Old 08-16-2012, 01:06 PM   #4

One thing for sure, get a camper with at least 2 inch thick walls, and as high insulation value as you can find. You may have to look at other brands to make sure you get the best.
And check out what they use for the floor, 5/8ths plywood would be a minimum, and tongue and groove is a necessity.
If you are going to full-time, you want a sturdy unit.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:25 PM   #5

Look at the Silverback 29re or 29rl
Old 08-16-2012, 04:30 PM   #6

Cardinal or Cedar Creek are their two top brands. Cardinal probably gets the top honors nod in some categories. But our Cedar Creek has been a great unit.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:50 PM   #7

If you are going to full time do not make the same mistake as we did. Stay away from the light trailers. what ever you decide on you should go to the dealership and sit in the unit for 1 to 2 hours and talk read what ever you want to do. This will let you know how comfortable the unit will be to stay in. If you can't sit in it for an hour you will not enjoy the unit later on. A good salesman will not mind you sitting in the unit by yourself. It will let you know how you can handle the space when the weather makes you stay inside.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:01 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

The question is, What does Forrest River have, go their page, Forest River : RV, Cargo Trailers, Boats, Commercial, Housing
and pick one out. Of course most of us would love to spend your money, and the join you on week-ends with our grandchildren, dogs, and in-laws.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:26 AM   #9

Only the top two, Cedar Creek or Cardinal would do for almost fulltiming. All of the lighter 5ers, all brands, not just Forest River, will state in their paperwork that they are for occasional use only.