Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2012, 03:25 PM   #1

Almost Saw a Trailer Flip Today....

Those Who Care About Trailering Safety...Thank You.

Today retuning to St. Louis from Kansas City Via I-70 for work I witnessed something that made my stomach turn. West bound approaching Mineolia Hill (longest grade steep grade hill in Mo) I ran up on a travel trailer. An older Cherokee Travel trailer that I tucked in behind in the right lane to let others pass. The trailer was running at roughly the same speed as I when we approached the hill...around 75. (An already un safe speed while towing....I dont care what your opinion is... its dangerous)Then it started. about 1/2 way down the roughly 2 mile decent I realized that this guy was not even gearing down or ever once applied the brakes exceeding at least 80mph. I backed off about quite a bit as did the passing cars in the passing lane. The sway of the trailer was so severe that during a couple of the swings i could easily see down the drivers side of the trailer and view all the windows and graphics. The camper was crossing over the double white and would swing back to the shoulder not quite hitting the rumble strips. Wow I thought for sure It was going to be bad. Somehow he managed to keep it together and started the climb back up. I got over into the passing lane and inched by him taking a good look....Newer F-150 with an obviously miss adjusted WD system as the hitch head and bumper were damn near dragging the ground. Sway control unknown. In the TV there appeared to be woman and what to me looked like a older kid or large dog in the back.

To those of you that practice safe towing and responsible actions we all thank you. I was certain that I was going to see what we all fear the most...However I would expect that this guys luck will eventually run out at some point and hope like hell no one gets hurt.
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:32 PM   #2

All I can say is remember they are out there and among us.
hkreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:32 PM   #3
Site Team - Lou

Been my experience that because he" handled it" there was "no problem."
Thus no corrective action required.

Ignorance can be fixed with knowledge.
Stupidity is an always fatal flaw.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:23 PM   #4

This reminds me of the guy I seen pulling a tt down I-24 heading towards Chattanooga. I was in my Miata doing 70 plus...he must have been doing close to 80 pulling that trailer. Some people get just a little bit over confident in their towing and handling abilities.
Mark and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:44 PM   #5

I got lots of looks, coming back from Pensacola, doing my 60-62 mph. This was what I felt was a safe and prudent speed.

Just because you can....Doesn't mean you should!!!
Broadway Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:28 PM   #6

I did 65 MPH with my Solera last month while out with it, like Joe says that feels like a good speed for a RV regardless of make. I've seen too many who think they can handle an issue that when it came right down to it found out differently. Remember you can't take it back after it happens.
hkreck is offline   Reply With Quote