Old 05-30-2012, 07:20 PM   #1
alternate heat

I am wondering if anyone has used the infared heaters tha are out there
i am looking for an altenate heat source than the propane furnace. If you have used the infared does it heat well? i have two small kids. and have a 30' surveyour

campfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:18 PM   #2
Mod free 5er
We have used an EdenPURE GEN3 Model 1000 Quartz Infrared Heater for 4 yrs when we "snowbird" in Fl the months of Dec, Jan, Feb and part of Mar. In those 4 winters, we have used 1/2 or less of a 30# cyl of propane for heat. I made a table top for our heater that has a lamp on it. It does not get hot, but did a wonderful job of heating our entire 31' Flagstaff 831RLSS trailer. I made a new table top for it so it would match the woodwork in our new 12 Flagstaff 8528RKWS 5er and expect it to heat it just fine also. I have added an auxillary switch to the propane furnace fan to use with the Edenpure to help circulate the air thru the floor vents. When we had a cat that traveled with us, she would get on top of the Edenpure and sleep until I installed the table top on it. It is safe around kids, altho pricey, we like it.
I also added a separate outlet & circuit breaker strickly for the heater.

OldCoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:24 PM   #3
I used a oil filled radiator in my pop up. I would start it up about 1 - 2 hours prior to going to bed. It gets hot to the touch, but I gave my son very strict instructions not to touch and we never had a problem.

I would then set the propane heater to 60 so if it got cold it would warm it back up.
cstover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:56 PM   #4
+1 for the edenpure heater, we used one to heat our 30' 5er with the temp getting down to 34 degrees and it did fine. I used no propane on that trip.
2004 Wildcat 28BH
2012 Ram 2500 CCSB 6.7CTD
fast murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:46 PM   #5
We also have a edenpure gen 3 that we take with us in cold weather, never had a problem heating our rv, the rest of the time it heats my house we have a new heating system and it only came on half a dozen times last year.
daveg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:39 PM   #6
weekend with heat

Thanks guys. i borrowed my parents eden pure gen 4 heater for the weekend. and it took the dampness and chill out of the camper great.
i think i will be looking at purchasing one of these for the camper and then the house in winter. it got down to 42 and was damp. it was very comfortable with the heater on low. Thanks for the info. Where can i find one of these for a good price?
campfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:49 PM   #7
We carry a simple, cheap ($35-40) ceramic heater with us. This past weekend, our furnace was dead (keeps blowing the fuse when it starts up...I'm thinking control board), so all we had was the ceramic heater. It didn't get that cold, 45-50 at night, but it kept our 32' fifth wheel warm enough to be hot.

2012 Flagstaff 8528 BHSS
2008 Ford F250 Crew Cab 4x4 6.4L Power Stroke

fordmantpw is offline   Reply With Quote