Old 02-09-2015, 09:47 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyodie View Post
We downsized to a lightweight pull behind from a 5th wheel in 2013. Thought I would get better fuel mileage. The 1-2 mpg' that I got was not worth it. Missed the fiver so have on order a 8289ws. Come on Spring!
I have also thought about the MPG going on a trip but once your there and enjoying the whole trip who cares.

Burgers on the BBQ and a cold beer
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:14 PM   #32
Another adventure awaits!

Smile Not crazy

Hello ... my husband and I traded in our 2012 26' Surveyor TT, which we bought in Sep 2011, in Sep 2013 for a 2014 Sabre 33 CKTS 5th wheel. We used the 2012 for one season, realized it was a great trailer but it was too small for what we had planned ...

Being comfortable and allowing yourself to enjoy your camping experience is most important ...

Good luck

Old 02-09-2015, 10:17 PM   #33
Another adventure awaits!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh326 View Post
Wife and I bought our new Salem in fall of 2013. Camped several times in 2013 and many times in 2014. We ended up camping much more than we originally thought, and we live in our camper for the entire month of August each year, and we'll be doing a lot more weekends going forward. The more time we spend in our camper we realize there are some little things that we would like to improve upon. We are considering trading for a new Flagstaff that seems to address all out current issues. I've never been inside a Flagstaff but watched 100 youtube videos. We are going to check out the Flagstaff line in person at our dealer tomorrow.

I know I am going to take a beating on any trade of my Salem. Our original plan was to keep it for 5 years before trading again... but I have the fever now and might take the hit, not sure yet.

Am I the only one this has ever happened to? Am I crazy for even considering this? Our current Salem is the nicest camper we have ever owned, and is very close to meeting our needs, but not absolutely ideal...
traded our 2012 TT in for a 2014 5th wheel after only 14 mths
Old 02-10-2015, 09:37 AM   #34

3 campers in 5 years for us. Made money on the first, lost on the second.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 02:09 PM   #35

Quote:
Wife and I bought our new Salem in fall of 2013. Camped several times in 2013 and many times in 2014. We ended up camping much more than we originally thought, and we live in our camper for the entire month of August each year, and we'll be doing a lot more weekends going forward. The more time we spend in our camper we realize there are some little things that we would like to improve upon. We are considering trading for a new Flagstaff that seems to address all out current issues. I've never been inside a Flagstaff but watched 100 youtube videos. We are going to check out the Flagstaff line in person at our dealer tomorrow.

I know I am going to take a beating on any trade of my Salem. Our original plan was to keep it for 5 years before trading again... but I have the fever now and might take the hit, not sure yet.

Am I the only one this has ever happened to? Am I crazy for even considering this? Our current Salem is the nicest camper we have ever owned, and is very close to meeting our needs, but not absolutely ideal...

You are not the first by far! It happens to all of us!

In fact you may want to chew on this piece of advice: a lot of us progress up the line (Pop-up, travel trailer, 5th wheel, Motorhome) so, where do you envision yourself in, say, 10 years? In your current RV or maybe in a 40' motorhome?

If it is the Motorhome, you may want to consider THAT to be your next purchase.

Sent from my iPad Air using FRF App for iOS
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 05:23 PM   #36

Trades

I agree with most in this thread, we have gone from a pop up to M/H in a period of 3 years the only time I lost any money was trading the 2014 sunset trail TT for the M/H but I lost a total of 3K. The others are correct if its close to what works make some mods. I have had the Georgetown M/H for two months and have made a couple of mods already. It never ends!
Old 02-10-2015, 05:58 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post

In fact you may want to chew on this piece of advice: a lot of us progress up the line (Pop-up, travel trailer, 5th wheel, Motorhome) so, where do you envision yourself in, say, 10 years? In your current RV or maybe in a 40' motorhome?

I never see myself owning a motorhome. Would love to have a 5th wheel, but my business needs require the bed of the truck for inventory so for the next few years it's a travel trailer.

Stopped by our dealer today to look at the new Flagstaffs and get a feel for them even tho he doesn't have the floorplan I want in stock. Wife and I liked everything about them.

My dealer has a barely used Flagstaff 2013 27RLWS he just traded that he showed us... the money on this one is definitely right, but I am giving up my rocker/recliners in the living room and I love my chairs... financially this one is right for us, it meets a lot of our needs and is a beautiful floor plan with triple slides I just don't know if its 'the one' for us. I need to make a decision fast as this one won't be around there for long I think.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:00 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post

you read my mind. That's kind of the same school of thought we are following. Next camper with almost definetly be a MH hopefully the one in my signature. If you add up the money spent going from pup to small tt to big tt to mid sized 5ver to monster 5ver to MH to DP you could save a bunch in the long run by going straight to the big 5ver or the MH.
Looking to purchase a Georgetown 364 ts Mh in the next couple of years.
mr dually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 07:23 PM   #39

Quote:
I never see myself owning a motorhome. Would love to have a 5th wheel, but my business needs require the bed of the truck for inventory so for the next few years it's a travel trailer.

Stopped by our dealer today to look at the new Flagstaffs and get a feel for them even tho he doesn't have the floorplan I want in stock. Wife and I liked everything about them.

My dealer has a barely used Flagstaff 2013 27RLWS he just traded that he showed us... the money on this one is definitely right, but I am giving up my rocker/recliners in the living room and I love my chairs... financially this one is right for us, it meets a lot of our needs and is a beautiful floor plan with triple slides I just don't know if its 'the one' for us. I need to make a decision fast as this one won't be around there for long I think.
Sounds like your about to be the new owner of a 13' 27RLWS.
Burgers on the BBQ and a cold beer
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:11 PM   #40

I think someone previously mentioned this: Do yourself a favor & get the one you really want (if within your budget). We bought a 5er that we liked because our TV wouldn't pull the one we wanted. I then bought a diesel TV & got rid of the 2 yr old 5er. We ordered the 5er we really wanted & would have saved about 8 -10 grand if we had bought the TV & 5er that we wanted in the 1st place. We have had this one almost a yr & still enjoy looking at RV's, but have no desire to buy another.

2011 Ram Laramie 2500 CC 4X4 6.7 Cummins
2015 Columbus 320RS
"Where ever you go, there you are" Buckaroo Banzai
Goukcats is offline   Reply With Quote