Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2015, 10:29 AM   #1

Am I crazy to think about trading after less than 2 years?

Wife and I bought our new Salem in fall of 2013. Camped several times in 2013 and many times in 2014. We ended up camping much more than we originally thought, and we live in our camper for the entire month of August each year, and we'll be doing a lot more weekends going forward. The more time we spend in our camper we realize there are some little things that we would like to improve upon. We are considering trading for a new Flagstaff that seems to address all out current issues. I've never been inside a Flagstaff but watched 100 youtube videos. We are going to check out the Flagstaff line in person at our dealer tomorrow.

I know I am going to take a beating on any trade of my Salem. Our original plan was to keep it for 5 years before trading again... but I have the fever now and might take the hit, not sure yet.

Am I the only one this has ever happened to? Am I crazy for even considering this? Our current Salem is the nicest camper we have ever owned, and is very close to meeting our needs, but not absolutely ideal...
steveh326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:38 AM   #2

Only you and your wife knows this.....so what will it be?....let us know when it happens.
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:45 AM   #3

I don't think there is such a thing as an ideal camper - and I've wasted a tidy sum proving it. Whatever you buy will come up a little short in some way that you won't realize until you have owned it for a while. For my two cents, if your Salem is close to meeting your needs, keep it and spend your money elsewhere. If you trade, you will surely take a beating . . . not to mention going through the unpleasant business of salesmen who don't know their products and managers who suck air through their teeth as they tell you how little your camper is worth.
00buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:11 AM   #4

You wouldn't be the first - or even close to it, to take the hit and trade after a year or two. But, many people who do that really miss the mark and buy something way too small or something that totally doesn't fit their needs. Sounds like you aren't in that position, so you could put it off a couple years if the numbers don't work out.

Sounds like you get enough use out of your tt to at least consider it.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:13 AM   #5

I agree with 00buck. Can you do some mods to make your trailer more to your liking. If it is almost perfect you most likely will not improve the situation. Because there is only so much space to work with in a RV, if you add and item something has to be taken out to make space.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:39 AM   #6

To each his own. We have owned somewhere around 8 campers in twelve years. Probable took a beating on some of them, but our money so what the hell? I have heard you should but your fourth camper first. We just like having new s--t. Good luck with what you decide
pacin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 12:54 PM   #7

Feel your pain, we started with a 28 foot Keystone for a year and then went all the way to a 36RE 40 foot CC in 2010. Have added a lot of things that we felt where needed and know we will never get all investments back but like you, do have the fever to get a newer RV, don't need it but still have fever.
Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 01:10 PM   #8

Use Craigslist to sell the current, unless you just want to let a dealer make thousands off of you. Then go with a dealer like RVWholesalers to save over a local dealer on the new. You'll take less of a hit than you think- as long as you've taken care of the one you currently have and have some sales ability. I've got my 4th camper in 5 years on order. Never lost money other than delivery and tax on any of them. Made money on the first- bought it used from a dealer, too. Others were all new. Good luck.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 01:13 PM   #9

I am in the same spot. Have had our trailer two years and am looking to "upgrade" to another. I have been beating my head against the wall examining all of the pros and cons. Wish there was a cure for the fever.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums wishing I was camping but probably at home twiddling my thumbs.
simplyrwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 01:22 PM   #10

You are not the only one. We traded our first Class A after 2 years, but there is also something else you want. Good luck!
RLHAMILTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 01:28 PM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh326 View Post
Wife and I bought our new Salem in fall of 2013. Camped several times in 2013 and many times in 2014. We ended up camping much more than we originally thought, and we live in our camper for the entire month of August each year, and we'll be doing a lot more weekends going forward. The more time we spend in our camper we realize there are some little things that we would like to improve upon. We are considering trading for a new Flagstaff that seems to address all out current issues. I've never been inside a Flagstaff but watched 100 youtube videos. We are going to check out the Flagstaff line in person at our dealer tomorrow.

I know I am going to take a beating on any trade of my Salem. Our original plan was to keep it for 5 years before trading again... but I have the fever now and might take the hit, not sure yet.

Am I the only one this has ever happened to? Am I crazy for even considering this? Our current Salem is the nicest camper we have ever owned, and is very close to meeting our needs, but not absolutely ideal...
You might want to check out the Maryland RV show starting this Friday

at the Timonium Fair Grounds. Many models and manufactures on disply.
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 01:33 PM   #12
Senior Gold Member

You always take a bit of a beating on trade ins as dealers want to make money on the trade plus the unit you are buying. If you buy an ideal unit, you will quickly find some shortcomings with it. My suggestion would be to put it up for sale privately and if you can get a decent price, then go out and buy the one your wife loves. I kept my first two Coachmen trailers 12 and eight years and didn't do too badly. There is no perfect RV whether it's a pop up or high end motor home.
Old 02-09-2015, 01:42 PM   #13

1. Yes, you are crazy.
2. Yes, you will take a financial beating. We traded our two-year-old Flagstaff 21FBRS for a new Flagstaff 8528RKWS fiver and took a beating, but it was worth it.
3. When the fever is at its worst, put all the information and plans away in a drawer for 30 days. If the fever hasn't subsided by then, you are a goner!

2015 Flagstaff 8528RKWS fiver
2013 Ram 2500 CTD Laramie CC SB 4WD Auto
cbconway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 01:45 PM   #14
Site Team

Been there did that.................

Currently in rehab for this problem

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 01:46 PM   #15

You really don't know what you want or need in an RV until you have owned one or two or five or six. I only had our last 5th wheel for a year and a half, (it didn't like me) I loved the layout, but we had so many problems with it, we were getting tired of going out because it alway seemed another isssue, so we traded in our 5th wheel for our Georgetown XL and we love it.

The Home of the FREE because of the BRAVE
LittlePM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 01:51 PM   #16

Now is a good time to put it up for sale. People will start thinking about RVs. Use yours as you may and soon you will get that call/email/response you have been waiting for. It's not like you have to sell it. And as long as it is in good shape it will sell. There are people out there that also want to upgrade to what you have.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 01:59 PM   #17

I always wondered how the dealer was able to offer me such great deals... joked to my husband that the dealer must be into money laundrying. The deals were too good, esp. when they took one in trailer sight unseen! This past yr. I was speaking to another RV owner, she said that he father was associated with a different but a local dealership. She shared that he father indicated that the MSRP was inflated by as much as 100%.The bluebook price on my SilverBack today is about what I paid for it 3 years ago!
I'd was upgrading every 3 yrs. I'm finally were I want to be. My advice it KNOW what you want for you rig and KNOW what you want to pay for the new.... be prepared to walk away, at least twice! The only thing more fun is buying /trading cars!!
Best Wishes
BeachLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 03:39 PM   #18
Broken Toe

No, you are not crazy. If you want a new camper, get a new camper. And don't let what people on the internet tell you otherwise. Its your money, use it as you see fit.

I had a pop-up that I camped in exactly one time. I found some things I loved about it, and some things i "less than loved". I then stumbled onto Hybrids that addressed all things I didn't like about my PUP, but still included the things I did like.

It would be the height of foolishness to try to make something 'work' that simply isnt right.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 03:39 PM   #19

If your crazy then I must be stark raving mad. I got my Salem in September and am going to sell it in April. We only camped in it once and it's a super nice trailer but it's just more than we need. Plus it's a tick heavier than I would like. Someone's going to get a great deal on a virtually new trailer. Get what you want and don't look back.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 04:26 PM   #20

Your trailer will never be worth more that it is today. We have traded or sold our last 3 RV's before the warranty ran out. Traded in 3 and sold the last one on consignment. Took the greatest hit on the consignment. We now have our 4th and last (I hope) just the right size-32 feet and it's a 5er, Crusader. Before you buy check out the reviews on the models you are looking at. Good luck and good camping!
Fufys is offline   Reply With Quote