Old 06-18-2016, 01:14 PM   #11
Originally Posted by northerlee View Post
I'll be operating as N7RV.
Great callsign!

2011 Sabre Silhouette 260BHS
2006 F-250 6.OL
tinkerreknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 12:17 AM   #12
While my interest in radio electronics has been lifelong, I have been a licensed HAM only since February, 1994. N7RV is a vanity call which I acquired in August, 2000, after having formerly been assigned AB7HI (January, 1995). I was relatively content being AB7HI with the exception that a lot of folks I was communicating with (in CW) seemed confused by it. The original purveyor of N7RV released it in exchange for vanity call W7SS. And like most folks, time spent pursuing amateur radio waxes and wanes in no discernible pattern.

Yes indeed, N7RV blends well with RVing, but this was simply an unplanned coincidence. My experience has been that N7RV is more readily recognized in CW than was AB7HI.

My family was living in Dallas-Paulding, Georgia, during the civil war. I've read books about "The Battle of New Hope Church."

Take care all...

northerlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 07:52 PM   #13
Originally Posted by northerlee View Post
My family was living in Dallas-Paulding, Georgia, during the civil war. I've read books about "The Battle of New Hope Church."
I'm not a native Georgian, I've lived here for 20 years now. A lot of Civil War history around here. New Hope is an unincorporated community about 5 miles north of Dallas (most noted for a Delta plane crash site a little over 20 years ago) Pickett's Mill battlefield is just north of New Hope, and there is Kennesaw Mountain, an import feature in the battles.

Side note: Not long after we moved here we were at Kennesaw Mountain and there were doing a war enactment of an encampment, everyone had Union uniforms on. I went up to a park ranger and said "I'm sure glad the reinforcements got here as I have been catching a little grief about being a northerner, his answer was just remind them who won the war.

Also, in Kennesaw there is a Civil War museum with a locomotive in the great locomotive chase.

Anyone interested in Civil War history should see a sobering Civil War memorial at the Andersonville Civil War Prison Camp, a national park now.
2014 Palomino Puma 25RS
2011 F-150 Super Crew XLT
Days camped in 2014 - 23
Camped 2015 - 47
Camped 2016 - 51 done - 6 more planned so far
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 01:02 PM   #14
Hmmm, I will be camping at Road America next weekend for the Indy Car Race, I don't have any antenna for the new camper yet, but I may have time to rig up a dipole! At least I'll bring my HT.

Pokerstar is offline   Reply With Quote