Old 07-27-2019, 11:07 AM   #1

Amazing kid.

Sitting outside enjoying the breeze. A new camper pulls in and a child about 8 or 9 year old jumps out of the truck walks behind the camper and starts directing dad in! This kid was way better than most adults. After that he grabs the wheel chocks and starts chocking the tires. He hasnít stopped helping yet. What an amazing kid. Now he is putting the jacks down!

HeyJude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 11:09 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude View Post
Sitting outside enjoying the breeze. A new camper pulls in and a child about 8 or 9 year old jumps out of the truck walks behind the camper and starts directing dad in! This kid was way better than most adults. After that he grabs the wheel chocks and starts chocking the tires. He hasnít stopped helping yet. What an amazing kid. Now he is putting the jacks down!

Where is he? I want to rent that kid.....we want to go see Lion King, but all grandkids are 900 miles away.

Plus, I could use some help around the house. My "Hey boy, go mow the yard" days are long, long gone.

Kudos to his family.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 11:40 AM   #3
waybeck2018

Quote:

Sounds like my grandson. He has been learning the camping routines since he was 2. He is 11 now. He directs the back up, hooks and unhooks except for the equalizer hitch into the receiver (still a bit heavy for him) This year I started letting him back up to the hitch on the camper then I lower it onto the ball. Four times so far and he did it perfect, following my hand directions. He no longer "allows" his grandmother to bend and put out pads under stabilizer or let the steps down. He says she can rest until we are done. What a boy we are blessed with. And now, he even grills dinner for us (with my oversight from a short distance)

Looking Forward to Completing This Map Soon !
waybeck2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 11:53 AM   #4

How blessed you are. I love my grandkids but they were never trained to do anything. At 14 and 12 all they can do is eat and make messes.
Old 07-27-2019, 12:25 PM   #5

On the the last two trips I starred training the youngest son(12 now) to help. Iím a good person to instruct, but not a good person to ďletĒ someone do it. Honestly he is a couch potato, but he did help a bit on the last couple trips.

For the record I didnít get him till he was 5+ and he doesnít like outside...so I donít generally ďmakeĒ him go outside. Long story.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 12:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Anyone want to bet that the kid lives on a farm?

Regardless, this kid is going to grow up to be an awesome adult.

And kudo's to dad for teaching him how and trusting him.

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 01:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post

And kudo's to dad for teaching him how and trusting him.
That's the hard part.... teaching and then trusting..... Sounds like the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

2015 Dynamax REV 24TB class C
2nd rig 2006 Toyota Tundra &
2010 Cikira 21RB 19' travel trailer
Reverse_snowbird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 03:03 PM   #8

Talked to mom, he lives in the city but loves to help.
Old 07-27-2019, 03:24 PM   #9
Lacey's Spring, AL

I think they'll still let old people in to see Lion King, even without a grand child at hand...

tee hee : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 04:51 PM   #10

Years ago I taught my 9 y/o Son to back the truck with our bass boat in at the launch. He wasn't legal to drive the boat but the boat ramp was privately owned, so no laws broken with him driving the truck. Folks were mesmerized when we would pull up and have the boat launched and the truck parked in less than 30 seconds. He got his boaters license at 12 and we would switch up who drove the boat and who parked the truck.

He recently turned 16 and now he will hook to the TT, pull it 55 miles to the camp and have it setup on the campsite long before I even get there.
Jericbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 05:57 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericbarg View Post
Years ago I taught my 9 y/o Son to back the truck with our bass boat in at the launch. He wasn't legal to drive the boat but the boat ramp was privately owned, so no laws broken with him driving the truck. Folks were mesmerized when we would pull up and have the boat launched and the truck parked in less than 30 seconds. He got his boaters license at 12 and we would switch up who drove the boat and who parked the truck.

He recently turned 16 and now he will hook to the TT, pull it 55 miles to the camp and have it setup on the campsite long before I even get there.
That's one mature son you have. He's smart and a quick learner and he must of had a great teacher.
Old 07-28-2019, 09:01 AM   #12

The Amish Child

If you want to see some amazing children, take a drive through Lancaster County, PA. Make a few stops. I have yet to find a lazy Amish child, or an Amish child that doesnít just do what needs to be done without being forced to do it. This work ethic sticks with the Amish throughout their lives.

Bruce
nomad297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 09:39 AM   #13

Sounds like a great kid. We took our 8 year old grandson on his first camping trip with our TT and he was eager to help out. I gave him a checklist and he helped set up both outside and in the camper. He also helped with tear down. As with most boys he was most interested in emptying the black water tank. Wanted to watch it flush through the clear 45 elbow. Taking him again this weekend. Should be fun again.

2020 Apex Ultra Lite 215RBK
retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 09:43 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
If you want to see some amazing children, take a drive through Lancaster County, PA. Make a few stops. I have yet to find a lazy Amish child, or an Amish child that doesnít just do what needs to be done without being forced to do it. This work ethic sticks with the Amish throughout their lives.

Bruce
Same with the Mennonites. If their father has his own business the boys go to work with them all summer. And many don't have to go to school during harvest season in the fall.

2020 Apex Ultra Lite 215RBK
retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 09:58 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post

Bruce
Here too in Franklin County Virginia there are many German Baptists that are similar to the Amish but they do have cars. No TV or internet unless for business. They have a strong work ethic and strong distrust of government. Not hard to find as their dress is very much like the Amish.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 10:35 AM   #16

Go see Lion King. It was wonderful!
UGACamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 12:11 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGACamper View Post
Go see Lion King. It was wonderful!
When the movie came out on video my Wife and Daughters first born son would sit and watch it at least once a day for almost a year. I think grandson's first words were "Lion King".

BTW, same grandson will be graduating as a Dr of Optometry next year. Class of 2020

(Dang, I'm getting old. YOUNGEST grand kid, out of 5, is in her last year of College.)

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote