Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2018, 02:07 AM   #1

Amazon Prime Video

I mentioned this in another thread but thought I would go into more detail and put it out there on it's own for all of you that have an Amazon Prime account.

I use a couple of subscription services. Sirius Radio along with Playstation Vue which is my provider for TV at home. I have apps for both on my phone and tablet and can stream from them and cast to my TV. I have the full complement of TV and Radio programming that I have at home for no additional cost, as long as I have enough cell service to utilize my unlimited data plan on my phone.

In the cases where I don't have internet connection strong enough to stream, I have downloaded the Amazon Prime Video App which allows me to download to my tablet/phone about 20 movies from their available list to store on my phone. No internet connection needed to watch them, only to download and store initially from your home connection.

These can be rotated and removed once you've seen them and others added.

We don't watch a ton of TV when we camp. Usually the local news to catch the weather and occasionally a movie after we have gone inside for the night if we aren't quite ready for bed yet.

Nice to have a option when streaming or OTA programming isn't of interest or working for ya. We also use it if it's raining cats and dogs and we're stuck inside. Plus I saved some space not having to bring a selection of DVD's along to fill that same role.

Just thought I'd pass this along in case some of you that have a PRIME account were unaware of this freebie that comes with your account.
Old 11-17-2018, 06:32 AM   #2

So if you don't have any internet available at your site and your movie is downloaded to your phone, how are you getting the movie to your TV? I thought you had to have a network to stream to the TV..
Cantdrive55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 07:40 AM   #3
geezer with gadgets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantdrive55 View Post
So if you don't have any internet available at your site and your movie is downloaded to your phone, how are you getting the movie to your TV? I thought you had to have a network to stream to the TV..
This is what we use:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Works really well.

Happy travels...

Sent from my Atari 2600
2011 Sunseeker 3170ds "Ladybug"
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee TOAD
Days camped 2015: 37; 2016: 66; 2017: 86 2018: 57 2019: 30
757Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 07:53 AM   #4

I have Amazon Prime but I don’t stream to much, sometimes just to burn data. I have Verizon and five lines so I just have to learn how to stream
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 01:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantdrive55 View Post
My method was a little tougher but I saw the benefit of doing it my way vs. buying a plug in receiver for the TV's. One, I had old routers laying around the house so it was FREE, which is always for me when I have that option.

Basically I mounted a router behind my TV on the wall, plugged in a cat 5 cable and took my laptop out to the camper, plugged in to setup the router. Then followed the directions in this link.

How to setup a home network without internet. | Network Shelf

Gives me a wireless network (with no internet connection) that any device can connect to (with the password) that can then stream to the TV. If I'm somewhere I have internet connection, I just cast of my tablet or phone .
Old 11-18-2018, 09:35 AM   #6
Gold Tee Box

DW watches it on her laptop, and we can connect to a television screen with an HDMI cable.

Teetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 09:40 AM   #7

CincyGus...
you must have smart tv in order to connect to wireless internet, YES?

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 12:09 PM   #8

Thanks for the reminder. I have both Amazon Prime & Netflix and the CGs we've been at usually don't have wi-fi, often poor or no cell service, same for OTA television.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 12:35 PM   #9

I always use Prime video when I fly. Download shows in advance. I watch it on my tablet. If I want, I could also plug the tablet into my TV if I want to.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 01:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teetime View Post
DW watches it on her laptop, and we can connect to a television screen with an HDMI cable.

Easiest way = HDMI for me.
Netflix download works in similar fashion.

One trick I use is to download Netflix in the middle of the night when wifi use at RV camps is at a minimum, and watch it the next day. Download hotspot at night is also better when cell usage is lower.
You can also change the high definition to SD on Netflix profile to cut down on bandwidth.
CC75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 07:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
CincyGus...
Yes. And HDMI IS the easiest if you have a device you can use it with. Guess I'm just getting used to everything connecting through Bluetooth or wirelessly when I can. plus I just like the idea of not having to have a DVD/Blueray player/Laptop when my 10" tablet fills the need.
Old 11-18-2018, 08:10 PM   #12

Pretty tough to impossible to stream video over Bluetooth.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 02:36 PM   #13

...And So It Goes On...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyGus View Post

We don't watch a ton of TV when we camp. Usually the local news to catch the weather and occasionally a movie after we have gone inside for the night if we aren't quite ready for bed yet.

Nice to have a option when streaming or OTA programming isn't of interest or working for ya. We also use it if it's raining cats and dogs and we're stuck inside. Plus I saved some space not having to bring a selection of DVD's along to fill that same role.

Just thought I'd pass this along in case some of you that have a PRIME account were unaware of this freebie that comes with your account.
Cincy and Gus,

Being retired from "technology and information overload" 11- years ago, I didn't think it would matter anymore in "this stage of life"! The acute awareness's of grandchildren in their teenage years have proven me wrong. E.g., albeit my cell phone is due its second or third upgrade, I continue learning more about its myriad of uses do to their necessities!

Because we are at times in remote areas, your offering has just educated me further as to what my wife and I can do to keep them entertained. As we speak, my cell phone (with the upgraded SanDisk Extreme® PLUS microSDXCTM 256GB UHS-I card per authority of granddaughter Samantha), is undergoing downloads. Our laptops too. (What the kids don't know are included MTV revivalists "Eagles", "Aerosmith", "Creedence", "Blood Sweat & Tears", "Fleetwood Mac", "Led Zeppelin", and of course, the "Doors".

Thank you for taking time to bring this invaluable information my attention. Thankfully, again courtesy of the grandkids, both TV's in the Wildcat are the latest and "smartest" of televisions today!

George G. Fries

2016 Wildcat 29RLX
2015 RAM, 2500 Crew, 6.4L
4 X 4, Single, 4.10 Rear
GeorgeFries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 12:38 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeFries View Post
Cincy and Gus,

Thank you for taking time to bring this invaluable information my attention. Thankfully, again courtesy of the grandkids, both TV's in the Wildcat are the latest and "smartest" of televisions today!

George G. Fries
Glad to be of help. I've been a PRIME member for about a year and regularly take advantage of the free shipping and watching Amazon Prime Movies at home since I cut the cable cord 6 months ago but had no idea that their movies were downloadable for times streaming wasn't an option.

While I'll never claim to be the wizard of anything (more of a Jack of some stuff) I figured if I didn't know about it, there was likely a few others that would benefit from me sharing so why not!

Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-24-2018, 09:46 PM   #15

I will second the thanks. I have had prime for a while now and watched a movie or two. I did not know I could view any offline. This is great for rainy day camping. Sure could have used it this summer.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 11:02 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
CincyGus...
I think if you have a wireless connection and a tv with a hdmi port, you can stream with the Amazon Fire Stick and Amazon Prime
https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Fire-T...rds=fire+stick

Seems to work with our tvs that aren't 'smart'.