Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2016, 03:34 PM   #41
Mod free 5er

Referring to OP's original equipped tires, not Good Years.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 03:58 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I still say the tire mfg knows best!
Which one, P, LT , ST? They all qualify for service on trailer axles.
Old 10-21-2016, 04:13 PM   #43
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
Which one, P, LT , ST? They all qualify for service on trailer axles.
Why is it so hard to understand that this thread is talking about the OP's factory tires?
Old 10-21-2016, 11:33 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Why is it so hard to understand that this thread is talking about the OP's factory tires?

Nobody can answer the question as asked because not enough information was presented to do so.

With all information provided by the OP the only correct answer is the recommended inflation pressure given on the trailer's tire placard is correct.

To challenge the validity of the tire placard all of it's information must be presented, especially the tire size as depicted and the GAWR values. All original equipment RV trailer tires are fitted to the vehicle's actual GAWR values.
Old 10-21-2016, 11:44 PM   #45

Quote:
Nobody can answer the question as asked because not enough information was presented to do so.

With all information provided by the OP the only correct answer is the recommended inflation pressure given on the trailer's tire placard.
I disagree! How can the only correct answer be the placard? You make it sound like running the tire with max cold psi molded on the tire is a bad thing. Every tire has it, and is readily available to the OP. I know my rig is loaded heavier on some trips than others. I'm not going to weigh it and adjust tire pressure accordingly. So I run at the tires max cold psi and don't worry about it. Why do you not consider this as an acceptable practice?
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 11:45 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
Be aware that the addition of shocks will make the trailer bounce more when walking around inside.
The function of shocks is to dampen the bounce.The up down motion should be slower with shocks than without. The amplitude of the up-down motion will not be changed.
nrkmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 11:27 AM   #47
Mod free 5er

Quote:

With all information provided by the OP the only correct answer is the recommended inflation pressure given on the trailer's tire placard is correct.

To challenge the validity of the tire placard all of it's information must be presented, especially the tire size as depicted and the GAWR values. All original equipment RV trailer tires are fitted to the vehicle's actual GAWR values.
No sir, inflating to the max cp stamped on the tire is the correct answer regardless of what is printed on a sticker on the camper. The tire company knows their own tires better than the rv mfgr.
Old 10-22-2016, 02:04 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I disagree! How can the only correct answer be the placard? You make it sound like running the tire with max cold psi molded on the tire is a bad thing. Every tire has it, and is readily available to the OP. I know my rig is loaded heavier on some trips than others. I'm not going to weigh it and adjust tire pressure accordingly. So I run at the tires max cold psi and don't worry about it. Why do you not consider this as an acceptable practice?
There is nothing wrong with using maximum inflation pressures with RV trailer tires. However, in the absents of supporting information the recommended tire inflation pressure for the OE tires depicted on the tire placard is their correct inflation pressure.

Until someone challenges the validity of the OPs tire placard the 80 psi is correct. FMVSS standards and tire industry standards both agree on that.

Once the trailer has been scaled and some weights have been established, the recommended inflation pressures can be increased up to and including the max value on the tires sidewalls, but never lower than 80 psi.

One important thing to remember is the G614 tire is an LT tire and uses load inflation charts developed for LT only.
Old 10-22-2016, 02:13 PM   #49
Mod free 5er

Regardless of the tires, if the rims will take the pressure, I would inflate to max cp and be done with it regardless of the placard on the side of the rv.
Old 10-22-2016, 10:14 PM   #50

This is from the Goodyear rep

Thank you for your inquiry to Goodyear concerning the air pressure in your tires. My first recommendation would be to utilize the tools on our website for Tire Care and Maintenance. See link below. You will find this most helpful in caring for your tires. I do want to explain one thing concerning the tire inflation. You wrote the sidewalls say max PSI 110. Commercial tires will give you the max load at a certain PSI. See below. Notice the Max Load is 3750 @ 110 PSI. That would be the minimum pressure to carry that load of 3750. My recommendation would be prior to your next trip have your RV fully loaded road ready and follow the instructions on the website for checking your weight. Air pressure is critical and carries the load our tires are the vessel that holds the air. Thank you again for this email. I am always happy when Loyal Goodyear Customers are looking to keeping their families safe and working proactive on tire pressure.

Happy RVing!!!
textman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 10:36 PM   #51

This entire document is recommended reading. Those with more interest in RV tires can scroll down to chapter #4 and read all about them.

Keep in mind that the RMA is a major contributor to all government and tire industry standards and participates in all final rulings. So a very high percentage of the information found here is factual and in practice.

Some of the statistics people often mention in tire threads are discussed in the lead-off paragraph in chapter #4.

http://www.mcgeecompany.com/wp-conte...ete-manual.pdf

Tags
tire