Old 08-01-2016, 01:53 PM   #11
Site Team
I had an ant problem at my house and I just used the plain old Raid ant traps that you can buy at Wal-mart. They were a box of 4 or 6 and I just set them out wherever I saw the ants crawling around.

It took a few days but they eventually disappeared completely. So the stuff must work. Only a few bucks for a box.

Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 02:31 PM   #12
This stuff works great for all kinds of wasp/ants/spiders/roaches and about any other pest.

Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
ants the last 2-3 years around my home have been terrible... I finally purchased this which you mix with water and spray... ants gone from the area in about 5 minutes... got it on Amazon
water soluble probably makes it OK for roof application, but I will not vouch for that...

2014 Columbus 320RS
2015 Ram 3500 6.7L DRW
Amateur Radio Call: KQ5S
nineback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 02:54 PM   #13
We have been using Raid Barrier for the last few years whenever we camp near areas that may be prone to ant infestation. So far we have had 100% success, even in the sand dunes of Coastal California. Using the battery powered spray dispenser, we spray every possible item on our 5th wheel that touches the ground: wheels and tires, chocks, leveling jacks, power cord, hoses - everything. One application when you are setting up, and before extending all the slides, works fine for up to 10 days or more at a given site.
Jakie-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 03:02 PM   #14
I'd have to agree with everyone that spoke about the baits. I bought a system for my home which is available on Amazon as well. Gourmet Liquid Ant Bait, 1-Quart It works well. It is a timed kill. Essentially you are poisoning the entire colony and that includes the queen. After a few days ants are gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2012 Ford F-150 EB 3.73
2015 Forest River 25RR
2004 Honda GL1800
Toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 03:18 PM   #15
Terro liquid ant bait has worked great for me. We live in a wooded area and lots of ants around. They drink the Terro liquid like it is honey. But it will take several baits set out at different times to eradicate the buggers. Never had any ants in the TT.

Larry W8PO & Lori N8IHJ
2014 Surveyor Cadet 265RLDS
2015 GMC Denali HD
Ham Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 03:38 PM   #16
Site Team
Different ants seek out different items at different times of year. Many ants will seek out protein sources during part of the year then seek out sugar type sources during another time of the year. If you put out protein baits during the sugar season, they will be ineffective. If you are to use ant baits, try several types to cover all bases. I have had great results with essential oil of peppermint ( works on spiders and mice as well).

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 65W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 03:39 PM   #17
DW has always sworn by Borac Acid. Spread it around and they take it back to the nest. It softens there shells and they die. I would not use it if you have pets or children crawling around the floor. I must admit that I was a skeptic but she proved to me that it does work so now I am a believer
Walter & Anne
2013 Forest River Sun Seeker 3100SS

wogden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 04:12 PM   #18
Has anyone heard of ants getting in the greywater tank and coming up in the bathroom sink or tub? We found so many of them in the bathtub but not sure if they came up from the drain or just went into the tub looking for water.
2011 MicroLite 23LB
2012 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
zinger60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 04:44 PM   #19

I had a ant problem in 2009 when I purchased a 2008 Amerilite. After the dealer spray-bombed it I still had the problem. I found the the best way is to do some detective work and find the nest. My nest was under the threshold at the entrance door. Cleaned it up stuffed with dryer sheets, no more ants.
clarinetone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 06:04 PM   #20
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
I have tried Terro all over (house AND trailer) and have yet to see it kill even one ant. They just avoid it.
Terro has a sweetener and is used for "sweet ants". Other ants will not go for the bait. Carpenter ants are much larger and can be at least as destructive as termites.

Ants have some things in common. Ants will leave the nest as scouts. They leave a scent trail for others to follow. Boric acid is deadly to ants. Boric acid powder scattered along the ant trail will take out the nest. We use PIC Orthoboric Acid available at building supply and hardware stores. It's cheap and effective. It works on roaches and ants. You may also want to try "roach tabs" These are small discs that you can distribute in small spaces and are effective.

PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote