Old 09-01-2016, 02:02 PM   #11
If the ants have not set up home in your camper then you can get rid of them by putting poison around their route into the camper.

Any part that touches the ground is a potential source, tires, jacks, stabilizers, water hose, electrical or cable cables, etc.. Put poison completely around all of them and let them take it back to the nest. They will be gone relatively quickly (a couple days or so)

We carry ant poison with us and if we see ants in the vicinity we put it around all the above and keep them out. we find this better than trying to get rid of them once they have invaded us.

Maurice, LA

2013 Wildcat Sterling 32RL
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT Diesel
2001 Cougar 281 EFS (sold)
1973 Layton 23' (sold)
DouglasReid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 03:19 PM   #12
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
You might not want to hear this but carpenter ants need a source of water (i.e. leak) before they decide to set up residence. If, that is your situation, you need to locate the water source, as in leaky roof, side wall, etc. It may even be a punky log close to your unit, that is the water source, your house becomes their house because of close proximity. Once you have eliminated the water source, the ants will leave.
That is not to be confused with the scout ants in the colony that are out locating food, like sweets, ripened fruits (moisture laden ) morsels to feed on. The hierarchy in the colony assigns certain ants in the group to forage for food, and moist important water, and in certain circumstances, return with the goodies to your unit.
I will check the camper out for leaks again, we are diligent on cleaning and waxing every spring. and replacing caulking if needed. i have not noticed and leaks inside. but i will keep an eye out. The is a drip from the faucet/spigot which is about 25 feet from trailer. The tree is about a foot from the side of the trailer..i will have to climb on the roof to see more. there is sawdust under the tree every time we get up there, so i know they are living in the tree, for sure. hope they haven't set up house in my camper! I try to avoid chemicals, i have a dog who camps with me.

2005 American Sport -Went seasonal 2012 Irish Hills, Michigan
strut526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 05:17 PM   #13
Regardless how you decide to kill them, the BIG takeaway from the presence of carpenter ants, be it in your home or camper, is that they are indicative of water problems. They do not live in dry wood. If you have them, you have bigger problems.

Good luck.
hunterrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 09:26 PM   #14
The 2 previous posts about the carpenter ants needing water is totally true. I had an unknown and never located leak that drew carpenter ants so badly we had to have an exterminator come out to the RV park and spray inside and out of the TT. Sounds horrible, and it pretty much was, but it was also a blessing because the damage from the leak was then discovered when my TT went in for service. TT was a total loss but I now know that if I see *carpenter ants* in my TT, there is a HUGE problem. Before the water damage was discovered in the TT, I was basically hauling around a gigantic wet sponge behind my tow vehicle with a flashing neon sign that only the carpenter ants could see telling them the all you can eat buffet had just arrived. We did not discover the leak in my TT until the flooring was removed. Don't mean to be Debbie Downer but good luck. Those ants are there for a reason, whether it is visible or not: they have found a water source which is not good news for you if it is in your coach.
kittlecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 08:18 AM   #15
Thanks. Have wanted to pull my carpet out for a few years. This may be my chance to take a closer look, for leaks. Appreciate all the advice

2005 American Sport -Went seasonal 2012 Irish Hills, Michigan
strut526 is offline   Reply With Quote