Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2016, 04:24 PM   #1

Ants eating our styrofoam insulation!

We just returned from our first trip of the summer. Things did not go very well. DH looked under the bathroom sink to get the toilet deodorizer and said there looked like spilled powdered laundry soap under there. So we looked behind the fake panel under there where the water lines are and there was a bunch more. I picked some of it up and found out it is ground up Styrofoam! There was actually 2 dead ants among the mess so we know it's ants that have been chewing up the Styrofoam insulation. We don't know how bad it is or if there is more. The bathroom counter continues all the way across the back of the bathroom, which is the back of the camper but there is no way to see if there is more problems underneath the counter. We were also having problems with the water pump running longer than it should so DH took off the access panel for the bathtub to see if there was a leak and found out where the Styrofoam was coming from. When they put the bathtub drain pipes in, they cut out the floor area which leaves a large area of exposed Styrofoam. It looks like the ants have been chewing up the Styrofoam there and carrying it under the sink and who knows where else. We have only seen a few dead ants around there and a few live ones in other areas of the camper. We left the campground early to come home and try to deal with this. As we were leaving and had the back storage area open, I looked inside and saw more chewed up stuff, either Styrofoam or wood. This is in the area under the bunks that is next to the bathroom. I'm freaking out that there might be a bunch of damage done. This has just happened since warm weather this year because we did not see any sign of this before. I can't believe they could chew up so much in such little time. What do we do?!!!
Old 06-19-2016, 04:37 PM   #2

Use this inside the trailer.
TERRO® Indoor Liquid Ant Baits Bulk
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 04:44 PM   #3

O.K....from what I have seen and read...usually this is carpenter ants. They are black and usually about 3/8 inch long.

Now it could be other types but I know carpenters will absolutely chew up styrofoam. Had it happen to me and it can be verified in multiple articles. Carpenters ants like soft materials to nest in it seems. Does not have to be damp wood actually. They will seek out punky wood that was wet many times but styrofoam is also good places to nest.

You want to kill them...do not use an ant repellent either. That just makes them avoid that one spot.

There are several available ant baits that will kill the entire nest but avoid the cheap stuff at Walmart. Usually does not do it.

There was just a thread and the guy killed them all with a Terro product. I use another product but as long as it is good stuff it will get passed around the nest.

Sometimes( if it is carpenters) they will set up like a satellite nest in an RV while the main nest may be in a tree. Thats what I had in mine.

Check at night after dark. Go in with a flashlight and look for them. See if they are trailing out of the RV or where they are coming and going from.

Then decide on a bait and kill them. Simply spraying an ant killer won't get the queen and the nest.

Here is the website I use but there are other products as well....not just these guys.

Last..try and make sure you have an idea what ants they are..but I will bet carpenters...but try and verify.
shughey00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 07:27 AM   #4

Came into our 19' Roo after having it parked at the family farm over the winter and discovered piles of chewed up insulation below the roof mounted A/C unit. The ants were using the channels cut in the insulation for the A/C wires to travel and build nests. I caulked the entry holes into the insulation this trip. Will put Terro bait around the trailer during our next visit to the farm
woodgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 09:04 AM   #5

Ants are attracted to wet wood. They feast and build a nest nearby. Check for water leaks!
keegantimber is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insulation