Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2013, 12:15 PM   #1

Any cyclists?

When we get our trailer I am looking forward to riding some new roads and organized rides in different parts of the country. Anybody else take along a road bike? Mine is a Cannondale CAAD9 with full Ultegra group.
SuwanneeDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:24 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I have a Shogun 200 road bike that I bought new in 1986 that I use as my road bike, but I don't usually take that along when camping. I have a Trek 830 that I take with me when traveling.....that can do everything from mountain paths, gravel bike trails, and of course road riding....although not quite as efficient and comfortable as my Shogun on the road.

Overall, I got in a little over 1200 miles last year.....mostly on the Shogun.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:15 PM   #3

I have a Roubaix with 105 but I never bring it camping. Mainly because I have no where to put it where it won't get rained on. I don't mind a little rain but if rains for a day or two at a time then I prefer it to be inside. Also, no one can keep up with me and I can't go off by myself for long stretches so it's a waste to bring my best bike. I end up bringing a fixie/single speed most places. It's lightweight and I don't need to worry about the derrailleurs getting banged up during transport. Plus it's just plain fun to ride.
punkaccountant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:49 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

My wife and I (and sometimes the kids) race triathlon while camping. In fact, quite a bit of our camping schedule is determined by the race schedule so we usually take along all of our bikes - 5-7 total.

My current time-trial bike serves as my "road bike". Its a Felt B2 Pro with Dura-Ace.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:51 PM   #5

Wow; how do you carry that many bikes?
SuwanneeDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:03 PM   #6

We don't race but if the road conditions permit my wife and I take out road bikes with us. DW made covers for the bikes and they fit in the 5th when we are parked. I would not leave them outside either.

I ride a Giant TCR C0 and my wife a Specialized Ruby Comp. Safe biking to all.

2004 Ford F550 6l Lariat SuperCrew, Fontaine Bed,
Link Systems Air Ride
2011 Sterling 32RL with Michelin XPS tires
extremebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:24 PM   #7

We typically carry four bikes at a time, all mountain bikes. We ride leisurely mostly. I ride mine for exercise, but the wife and kids just ride for fun. None of our bikes are anything you'd worry too much about getting wet.
2008 F-250 Lariat 4x4 6.4 Powerstroke
Firestone Ride-Rites w/cab control
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:29 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuwanneeDave View Post
Wow; how do you carry that many bikes?
Its tight, that's for sure. We can fit up to three kid's bikes and two of ours in the aisle in the trailer. Then two more bikes on a Yakima roof rack on the Sequoia. Technically, that Yakima could hold more if I had the right attachments for our truck, but its not needed (right now). Typically, we carry only three kids and two of ours.

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 01-15-2013, 11:29 PM   #9
Site Team

there's a lot of cyclists here, though mainly mtn. bikers.
i'm mainly a mtn. biker but do road bike for fitness. i have one that i built with Shimano 105 group, Performance aluminum frame and carbon fork.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:41 AM   #10

I used to ride for fitness and raced amateur on a Raleigh Professional frameset, Campagnolo components with steel track pedals and Cinelli track handle bar and stem.
The frameset was built for the Raleigh factory racing team. At the end of the season a surplus of 50 framesets were shipped to America. 2 of them came to Oregon and I bought one of them. I bought it from Franz Pauwels who was a former Belgian national champion. Franz owned Kissler's Schwinn in Beaverton when I worked there.
Now I ride for fun and to take the dogs on runs with a Diamond Back Response Elite.
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:38 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
there's a lot of cyclists here, though mainly mtn. bikers.
i'm mainly a mtn. biker but do road bike for fitness. i have one that i built with Shimano 105 group, Performance aluminum frame and carbon fork.
Besides the fitness, the nice thing about riding the roads is its a great way to explore more of the area. I'm still finding new roads and new scenery in areas that I've been camping at since I was a child.

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 01-16-2013, 10:14 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I always try to take my road bike along with me. Sometimes there are no opportunities; no shoulder, twisty, hilly, narrow, lot of RVs and trucks . . . too dangerous for me. Then I wonder why I brought it along. Other times, I find the most beautiful, almost magical rides. And then it is all worth it.

The bike doesn't weigh anything of any significance but it is bulky. That's one of the reasons we bought a Surveyor 235 with foldable front bunk. Room for the bike, telescope, etc. . . . .

1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:50 AM   #13
Always Learning

I tried posting this once, but the app got pissy... I'd like to be a cyclist. I even have a Scott Sub 20 hybrid. Problem is I'm fat and out of shape and that seat is really uncomfortable! I'd like to get out more on it this year and actually learn to ride better/properly (vs. just sitting on the seat and going).
Old 01-16-2013, 11:13 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I tried posting this once, but the app got pissy... I'd like to be a cyclist. I even have a Scott Sub 20 hybrid. Problem is I'm fat and out of shape and that seat is really uncomfortable! I'd like to get out more on it this year and actually learn to ride better/properly (vs. just sitting on the seat and going).
You just have to be determined and have realistic expectations. Start slowly and build. Explore and have fun. Your butt WILL get tougher; it takes awhile; do not despair. Set a goal every day/week. Gradually add to it. Biking is a wonderful and low-impact way to get cardiovascular and muscle exercise. You ARE going to hurt a little here and there; no pain, no gain.

Remember, you don't "pump" a bike; you "spin" it. Use your lower gears if you have to.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:23 AM   #15

Quote:
HI

I happen to be a cycling coach, so my advise is to get to riding as much as you can. Your speed, your distance. Look into a cycling club near you once you get comfortable and want to join a group. Everyone starts off at a low level and you just have to put in the time and work your way up in fitness.

As far as the seat comfort goes there are gel covers available at most bike stores but its a matter of getting used to the seat.

There are lots of cycling coaches who are dedicated to helping cyclists. Talk to a few and see who fits your goals the best. You likely don't want a coach dedicated to racing. They are out there.

The best thing about cycling is the sense of freedom, scenery and the benefit of exercise. Fitness starts with the first peal stroke. Good Luck.

2004 Ford F550 6l Lariat SuperCrew, Fontaine Bed,
Link Systems Air Ride
2011 Sterling 32RL with Michelin XPS tires
extremebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:59 PM   #16
Always Learning

Thanks guys. I actually replaced the stock seat with a new one. I literally was in pain for a day after a 15 minute ride on the stock seat. I called it "my boyfriend"! The new seat is better- but still takes some getting used to.

My concern with a club- I'm literally winded after an relatively easy 1 mile ride around the road/circle that I live on (very nice that it's exactly 1 mike). I'd hate to drive to a ride and then not be able to hack it.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:30 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

ependydad, as extremebike posted, you gotta start off easy and gradually work your way up. The pounds will come off, the legs will get stronger, and the ol' heart and lungs will thank you.

Many bike clubs have "beginner" rides. They will typically meet once a week, and go as fast as the slowest rider. See if you can find a local club that offers that.

Besides gel seats, padded bike pants may help you with the saddle sores.

I contribute biking to me being able to keep my weight down. I can see a difference in the winter when I am not riding as much, then spring time comes and I gotta knock it back a few notches.....but will get back into the groove after a couple of weeks.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:43 PM   #18

I usually bring my road bike, Giant T-Mobile
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:49 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTJohn View Post
I usually bring my road bike, Giant T-Mobile
replica. A Mtn bike, either Fisher - Super Caliber or the Super Fly SS. They go inside the TV bed under the ARE cap, locked. I look up local rides or check out bike shops for rides. I have done and won with an age group record, Sebring 12hr bike race. 212.3 mi in 12 hr. 62 then, 64 now. Probably do it again when I reach 65 and try for another win and age group record! Maybe...
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:04 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Thanks guys. I actually replaced the stock seat with a new one....The new seat is better- but still takes some getting used to.
Seats are really personal and its a tough one to get right. Its easy to go through a few in your search for "The One". A local bike shop that offers decent service will allow you to buy and try and will take the seat back if it doesn't work for you after a few rides (e.g., The seat I ride with now has a six month tryout period). Of course, a good bike shop will also have sold you the seat, installed it for you and adjusted it accordingly to work with your position on your bike.

I second the suggestion to get a good pair of shorts. Also very personal and what works for you may or may not be what works for your friends. By the way, bike shorts have to be worn with chamois cream for the best results.

Finally, time in the saddle is needed to get really comfortable and used to a change in saddle or position. Unfortunately, there is no way around that.

Quote:
My concern with a club- I'm literally winded after an relatively easy 1 mile ride around the road/circle that I live on (very nice that it's exactly 1 mike). I'd hate to drive to a ride and then not be able to hack it.
First of all, you need to congratulate yourself for getting out.

Its easy to expect a lot when we first start biking - Same thing with running - but its best to ride within your group at the start. There are tons of levels and usually your YMCA or local bike shop can point you to the right riding level in your area. Good luck and congratulations again.

2012 Shamrock 233S