Old 11-29-2012, 03:14 PM   #1
Any experts on outdoor LED Xmas lights?

I'm sure there are a few for sure here. Am wondering what's up with outdoor Xmas LED strings. Just put up ours on the weekend and have found 4 strings are shot. I knew one was bad when I took them down last year but 3 more going bad from being in storage?

You can't replace the stupid bulbs like in the olden days. Almost feels like a manufacturers game and like we've been had. I am sure the technology is available to make the bulbs removeable. Is there a reason why these might fail early? Are they delicate and shouldn't be dropped or bumped? Outdoor ones don't last as long as indoor? A salesperson at one store told me that they often don't last more than a few years. Really?

So if LED Xmas lights are supposed to save energy, if you have to replace them every 2-3 years, how can that save energy if you have to go buy newly manufactured ones and waste gas driving to get new ones? Not to mention more waste for the landfills too.

Perhaps there are higher quality ones out there or are they all offshore now? Do they make in the US anymore?

Thank you for reading my Christmas-related rant.

Gil & Deb & Dougal the Springer Spaniel
Langley, BC
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:42 PM   #2
Sad to say this but………………it’s a disposable world……I buy the cheap lights for 3 bucks and throw them out after X-mas…………

TV= 2012 F-150 FX4 Supercab
FW= 2011 270ret Crusader
Hitch= Reese Pro Series 16K Hitch
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:15 PM   #3
LED Xmas lights come in basically 2 varieties: cheap and expensive. The cheap one are basically made on what appears to be variations of the tooling and machines that the original incandescence lights were made on. This version has a 2 fold problem, they are not sealed and the leads to the LEDS are iron. This results in the leads to the LED bulbs rusting and creating an open circuit. Just by putting them away in storage with a little moisture in the socket will result in the lead rusting completely away to almost nothing.

The more expensive strings are made with sealed sockets. This prevents the corrosion. And they do last a lot longer.

My wife (actually me, she tell me where to put them) puts up about 100,000 lights on the house and the in yard. We have purchased the cheaper LEDs and suffered the same problem as you are having. With the more expensive sealed units we have had no issues. We ended up throwing away about 2500 ft of LED strings. Not a cheap proposition.

One other thing that can happen involves massive water intrusion. We have had 2 units that had the rectifier unit burn up. The rectifier unit is the bulky thing either in the plug or just a lump on the wiring that turns the AC into DC for the LEDs to work. To burn one of these up you need a massive short. With enough water in the sockets it can happen.

The LEDs we get are all made in China. Its just some are better than others and more expensive.

2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax Crewcab
Jeep Commander - sold
Flagstaff V-Lite WRB26
kz08h5 is offline   Reply With Quote