Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2013, 05:05 PM   #1
Where should we go next!

Any ideas?

Well it's been a while since I've posted here although I do a lot reading I just haven posted. On our way to Gulf Shores AL. from Chicago for some well earned R&R. Decided to stop just south of Birmingham at Oak Mountain S.P. for the night. Backing into our sight my son noticed one of the tires leaking air from the sidewall and going flat on our rig. Not good but I have a spare so all is good. Get all set up when my wife comes outside and tells me the A/C is working but it doesn't feel cold. Turns out its not blowing cold.

Right before we left I decided to try and run the A/C off the house to see if it would work and it did until something else in the house kicked on and the A/C started running really slow. I ran inside the rig and shut it off. I didn't think much else except I wont do that again. Now I'm in Alabama and its not blowing cold. I have a repair guy coming out in a few hours. Any ideas? Did I inadvertently kill my A/C?

Ford F-150 4X4 Supercrew Ecoboost
SportTrek 334 Touring Edition
Equalizer 4-point 10K lbs.
Offagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:27 PM   #2

How long has it been since you ran your air?
Geaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:34 PM   #3

Is it the fan running slow ,What do you mean by by using two different sources of power,trying to see if your compressor is kicking on,or fan running slow?Need more info................
Old 07-25-2013, 06:06 PM   #4
Where should we go next!

I had just ran it 30 days ago for an entire week out in Corbin KY. and it worked fine. I usually hook the camper up to my 8500 watt generator when at home but this last time I tried running the A/C from an outlet in the garage. It was working until all of a sudden the A/C started running very slow as though something else was drawing power too and there wasnt enough to keep the A/C running. I ran into the camper and shut the A/C off and didn't think any more about it until now.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:23 PM   #5

The outlet in the garage 20...30..50...amp....get it checked out by a pro......just saying problems may have started at the outlet..
Old 07-25-2013, 07:29 PM   #6

Garage

It's sounds like it was a 20 amp with something else plug into circuit somewhere else.

papap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:13 PM   #7
Where should we go next!

Thanks for all the replies, the repairman just left. Turns out the problem is up on the roof. He said some type of tube up on top cracked and all the freon leaked out. Looks like I need a new unit. He only has a 15000 Btu unit and mine is a 13000. He quoted me roughly $800 installed for a brand new 15k unit. He can have it done at my site by tomorrow morning. I've talked to a few of the hosts who all know him and they can't say enough good things. He came and left with out even charging for a service call.

I know on a good warm day my 13k unit struggles to keep things cool. What are you going to do. All of these problems being addressed right from my camp site, and he told me to let him know because he will be by with the new unit by 8:00 am. Life goes on.I can still be in Gulf Shores by the afternoon.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:46 AM   #8

Glad you are sorted out and getting a new unit. You won't regret the 15K unit. Our unit kept our trailer plenty cool during the heat wave on the east coast last week. And the air conditioner was only on the low blower setting!

2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS Travel Trailer
2012 F150 EcoBoost (HD Payload & Max Tow)
Doering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:20 AM   #9

I would think that in July or any part of the summer in AL any AC, even 15,000 btu,
would be hard pressed to keep up?
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:05 PM   #10
Where should we go next!

Had the A/C replaced this morning in less than 30 minutes. The unit was $816, $81 for freight, $75 for service call, $75 for install, and tax $73, came out to roughly$1,127. Not bad for site service and our vacation is saved. Any service station may have cost us days not only in loss of vacation time, but probably would have had to stay in hotel, eaten out, and loss of food in the camper. Plus on top of all that, the over night temps dropped in the mid 60's and we ended up with great sleeping weather w/o our air. Anyone in the Birmingham area that might need RV repairs contact Carl @ 205-641-1817 - they are a mobile repair shop, fast, fair, and reliable.

After a nights sleep and mulling it over, we decided to change out our other three tires on our camper since they were 6 years old. Remember we changed out one when we arrived with a new spare tire. Checking prices at Tirerack.com, we found that our Goodyear Marathons 4-Ply 205/75R14 Trailer Service Tires were $95 each. Carl mentioned the local Walmart usually has them in stock. So we stopped in. They had three in stock at $126/tire without install/mounting/balance and new stems. We asked if they would price match Tirerack.com's price @ $95/tire (we pulled up pricing on our phones for them) and they matched the price! They charged another $13.50/tire for stem, balance, disposal, and state fee. Walmart not being designed to repair campers in their shop, we chose to bring in the old tires and change out the wheels ourselves outside the shop. All is good again and headed to Gulf Shores.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:31 PM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

One thing to remember, even though your spare was never used and in "new" condition, it is 6yrs old and subject to the same degradation as the other tires. You should be fine, but I would keep an eye on it.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:22 PM   #12
Where should we go next!

We plan on it - added it to checklist.