Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2011, 08:10 PM   #1

Anybody else have this happen?

Yesterday I was pulling the trailer home when a car pulled up beside me. When I looked over the people inside were gesturing wildly and pointing for me to pull over, like there was a problem with the trailer. When I pulled over, we checked everything on the trailer and the truck but couldn't find anything wrong with either one. So we took off again carefully checking the mirrors and listening for any noises that might indicate some kind of trouble. I ended up going 300 more miles constantly checking for trouble and stopping several times more than I needed to just to look it over real good. Never found anything wrong or had any issues at all. But I was sure a nervous wreck worrying about it all the way home.

We were on a four lane highway so I'm sure they didn't do it just to pass me. This isn't some kind of prank people play on someone pulling a trailer, is it? I've never heard of it befor if it is. I don't know what they could have seen to tell me to pull over that didn't show itself going another 300 miles. And I watched everyone that passed me for the rest of the day and no one even looked sideways at me, not even truckers who I think would try to get my attention if there was a problem.

Anyway, it really bothered me, and was one of the most nerve wracking trips I've ever had, thinking the trailer was going to blow up behind me at any minute.
Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:31 PM   #2

we just get out and do a (twice over)

no never had that happen Biscuit
I have motioned for other trailer haulers to pull over
when they had some kind of a real problem
most common
dragging chains
I used to pull Class A equipment around for the City
while following my old buddy one day
I noticed that his tractor was sliding back and forth
yes
he had forgotten to tie it down to his trailer
I got up next to him on the freeway
signaled for him to pull over behind me
I did not make that big deal out of it
did not want him to put his brakes on hard
and put that THING right off the trailer
all was well

never heard of it before
and
I think you were pranked

we get to know our equipment
and what to check
if sent to the side of the road
we just get out and do a (twice over)
I like a walk around up close
and another at some distance
10 to 20' from the trailer
proper alignements
may be better seen
looking from a distance
then back on the road

sometimes they may just be telling us
that we have a light out ??

happy trailering
from
Mountainman
Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 11:32 PM   #3

Probably just a prank. Just goes to show how inconsiderate some people are. I suppose they had a big laugh watching you pull over, knowing you would be worried sick. Don't worry, they will get theirs one day. Luckily, they are in the minority.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 11:49 PM   #4

Hey Bud, I know that stressfull feeling all too well!!!!
tracer2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 12:21 AM   #5

Could you have had a safety chain that was dragging and throwing an occasional spark?

I've flagged people towing trailers off the road twice... The first was a big TT that had just gotten on the interstate, as I came up behind it. It was the second day of dear season in NY, and they had two big bucks hanging out the side of the pick-up for all to see. In their exhuberance to break camp and celebrate their successes, they had forgotten to lower their television antenna on the TT roof.....

The second was a fifth wheel, only a mile or two from my house. Evidently, his big side-hinged window on the drivers side had become unlatched and was swinging open and closed in the wind. It must have been that way for quite a few miles, as the curtain was pretty shredded once he pulled over.

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB
2022 Ford Ranger toad
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 03:22 AM   #6
Just a member

I'd have been suspicious when the car in question did not also pull over. Some people have a severely demented sense of what's funny.

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 05:20 AM   #7
Site Team

Hmmmm, that would definitely ruin your vacation trip home. And taking a cue from the movie, Vacation..............you didn't happen to tie the dog to the rear bumper by any chance.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 06:03 AM   #8

No turn signals,failure to yield,driving at nite with no lights on, China tires on your trailer,bumper sticker that said (Honk if you love Jesus)?? Just some ideas! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 07:20 AM   #9
H2oski

I had a guy wave at me once, but I could tell by his single finger hand signals he wasn't trying to get me to pull over. I never could remenmeber what I had done to him other than go the speed limit on a single lane road. I guess he wasn't on vacation. HA HA
(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 09:10 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

You wouldn't happen to have a Hensley hitch, would you? I remember the first time I passed a rig with an HA. I was admiring it and got a surprise when the hitch head seemed like it was floating off the ball. Obviously, it was doing its job but it is a little disconcerting to watch.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 05:51 PM   #11
The Old Man

I had some people do the same thing. In my case it was no prank. One of the tires (fortunately it turned out to be on the left side where someone could see) had lost a significant piece off the sidewall. I couldn't feel a thing so was lucky to have had someone point it out!

Still to go: AK, NL, NT, NU, YT
Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 01:40 AM   #12

Check your escape window. I had two different vehicles gesturing, but when I stopped, couldn't see any thing wrong. When I stopped for gas about 20 miles later, could see that my bedroom window was gone. Apparently the window would open when driving, but close when stopped. Wayne
wayne anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 08:47 AM   #13

i can tell you that i seen a big 5th wheel going down the road and the rubber roof had a big air bubble by the AC unit and i wanted to say something but i thought they would think i was crazy so i did not, but you may want to check the roof, i know i did as soon as i had the chance

2005 Dodge Ram
2011 Rockwood 8281SS
Danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 08:01 PM   #14

Well, Ive been home for a couple of days now. I've checked everything people have suggested on this forum. Tires, wheels, wheel bearings, all the lights, chains, hitch, windows, walls, propane tank cover, crawled under the trailer, no leaks, climbed on top of the trailer, checked the roof, vents, sky lights, air conditioner. Found absolutely nothing wrong with anything.

Thanks everybody for all the suggestions. I guess somebody thought it would be funny to do that, or whatever they saw somehow corrected itself.

Anyway, my next plan is to purchase an Emergency Road Services Plan just for my peace of mind. I had all kinds of visions of the kind of things that could go wrong out on the highway.
Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:06 AM   #15

I have one other suggestion for peace of mind. The next time you head out with the camper, have a friend/family member follow you and then pass you and look for any problems. Some problems only show up while moving.

2011 Rockwood 8285 WS
2011 GMC 3500 HD 4X4, 6.0, 4.10, SRW
Hoo Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:03 AM   #16

Sounds like they were pranking you, I did let someone know their vent was cranked up one time at a stop light. I would be worried the whole time home also.
2 Beagles (Snoopy & Dexter)

Big Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:24 PM   #17

Hello. It happen to me back in 1992 when I was driving my 1979 Dodge Trophy from Fairbanks Alaska to NC. While driving through Canada Dec 92 I had 3 flat tires. All seem fine and then people starting waving me to pull over which I did, but could not fine anything wrong. I drove all the way home with my wife and four girls and our little poodle. I took my cls C motor home to the tire shop and ask them to check my RV. The guy came to me and said I want to show you something and boy was I surprise, the back left rear tires were not locked correctly and was just a wabbling and could not tell while driving what was wrong. We were sure blessed that nothing went wrong. Have a great day. Mick and Marsha
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:52 PM   #18

probably just a prank , but better safe then sorry
SALTY is offline   Reply With Quote