Old 09-18-2015, 10:47 AM   #11

Often plan my camping trips for the primary purpose of geocaching.

Old 09-18-2015, 10:47 AM   #12
Site Team

My friends that I camp with actually came together due to geocaching. Our local geocaching group always (and still do) have a Saturday luncheon that is an open invitation to all geocachers. As we got more involved, several of us started camping together at the local parks which we still do, and is where we always hold our annual group geocaching event/cookout. You can even incorporate camping into the geocaching events like one planned up here in my neck of the woods next month. You are more than welcome to attend.

BTW, my geocaching handle is LSUFan

GC61C31 LGO Fall Fling II (Event Cache) in Louisiana, United States created by LouisianaGeocaching

Events are one of the best things about geocaching, and I highly recommend attending them. You can usually find several in your travels. You also may want to look at the National Annual GeoWoodstock event held on memorial day weekend. It is held in different parts of the US each year, and is a blast with well over a 1000 attendees.

I have made lifelong friends due to geocaching and the events.

Here is the site for our local group of geocachers/benchmarkers/campers

Benchmarking is what I really enjoy, but it is a lot more involved than geocaching.

http://www.nelageo.net/

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 10:56 AM   #13

If you have a smartphone, there are a TON of Geocaching apps out there
(CacheKrazy on GC.com )
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 11:02 AM   #14
Site Team

A little word to the wise here, for those starting out. The apps for the phones work, usually if you have cell service. I have been in a lot of places that you don't have cell service. Also the phones don't seem to have as good a accuracy as a true handheld GPS receiver (aka GPSr). If you are just starting out, and want to see what it's about, your phone and some free apps will get you started........ but if you decide that it's something you really want to do, while hiking, etc.... I do highly recommend getting a true handheld GPSr... which you can also carry spare batteries (usually AA) for. Hard to recharge that cellphone out in the field or on the trail.

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 12:18 PM   #15

Thanks for the offer wmtire. Louisiana is a state id really like to visit but just a little to far east. We do have a hand held GPS just for the reason you stated. Easier to replace batteries then charge a phone in the wilderness
Old 09-18-2015, 12:25 PM   #16

We started geocaching on 2002 but have not been very active lately. I think we have about 500 finds.
We go in spurts.
I had not thought of a camping/geocaching combination get together. Sounds like fun.
Lost Vermonters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 01:04 PM   #17

You Bet! My wife and I plan our trips around Geocaching. We got hooked on it in 2009. Lindabug and Docgeo* geocaching names. We both have over 6500 finds.
Old 09-18-2015, 01:32 PM   #18

Go to www.geocaching.com and they'll have a lot of tutorials that outline the variety of caches and it has a lot of information on HUGE geocaching events, all over the country. I'm a dog trainer (retiring in December of this year, from 16 years doing search and rescue for the state and federal government). I've taught a group pf pet dog owners how to train their dogs to find caches that have been scented. There are SO many different things you can do, places you can go, related to this sport. ...Glad to see you've gotten the bug!!!
Old 09-18-2015, 02:33 PM   #19

Location: West, Texas (the town, not the western part of the state)
Yes! We camp so we can geocache! I got started in 2008 and while I don't have a high number of finds (465) I really enjoy getting out looking.

Our screen names on the geocaching website are kralspace and printerB

Kathy

I had jury duty this week and the night before I went through my purse to take out all of the geocach tools that would certainly have shown up as weapons when I went through the security check at the courthouse the next morning

Old 09-18-2015, 03:10 PM   #20

Geocaching.com was the first website I found and thanks to it and Youtube, I got a pretty good idea of the sport. the first geocache I found was in our local cemetery but I went unprepared, didn't have pen or needle nose to get all the logs out of the chache. So I needed an excuse to go back so I brought my DW along and her find it. Now my brother and his soon to be wife want to come along.

Tags
camping