Old 09-19-2015, 11:04 AM   #31
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kralspace View Post
We should start our own Facebook page so we can keep up with each other!

Better than that, since I personally don't do the facebook thing, is you could start a geocaching social group here on FRF. Anybody reading this here, obviously is a member of FRF. I'd join that.

What is a social group?
A social group is a group of people usually with a particular interest or something else in common. It provides a way of communicating between members as well as sharing photos or other images.
You can get to the list through 'Group Memberships' section on your public profile (?).
The Social Groups list page displays all groups that have been created. You can list the groups by the number of members, messages or pictures, the group name, when the group was created or by the date of the most recent message posted. You can use the controls provided to search for a group.
How do I join a group?
To join a group, click the group title then click 'Join Group'. When you have joined a group, its name will be shown in your public profile. You must be a logged-in, registered member to join groups.
Can I create my own social group?
As a registered member, you can create your own social group (providing the administrator allows this). Go to the groups page and click 'Create A New Group'. Complete the title and description for your group then select the type. There are three types of groups:
  • Public - open to everyone. There is no restriction on who can join or who can post messages to it
  • Invite Only - require an invitation to be sent to join them. Invitations can only be sent by the group creator or forum moderators and administrators. Invitations are sent by clicking 'Pending & Invited Members' at the bottom of the page for that individual group
  • Moderated - open to everyone to join but messages need to be moderated before they will appear. They are moderated by the group creator and the site moderators and administrators

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 11:56 AM   #32

I heard geocaching was "using multi million dollar satellites to find tupperware in the forest" :-) Sound right?

http://dougbevswanderings.blogspot.ca/
retiredguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 12:20 PM   #33
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy View Post
I heard geocaching was "using multi million dollar satellites to find tupperware in the forest" :-) Sound right?
That's what it says on the shirts.

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 03:04 PM   #34

Geocaching

What in the world are you guys talking about, never heard of this . Please inform us what this is and how do you do it .
Old 09-19-2015, 09:04 PM   #35

The easiest way to find out about Geocaching is to visit https://www.geocaching.com/
It's free and you maybe surprised how many Caches are in your area. Some finds are easy, some hard, some large, some small but most interesting.
http://dougbevswanderings.blogspot.ca/
retiredguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 10:16 PM   #36

I personally like Letterboxing better, I have been LB for years. Most plants are hand carved stamps and take you to places you would never find on your own. You create your own stamp to log in and stamp the found one in your book. It you would like to see a few stamps I have found I will post some. Michael
Old 09-19-2015, 10:39 PM   #37

Photo40D here - I took my new Salem CruiseLite to Midwest Geobash and the West Bend Cache Ba$h this summer and plan to head to SW Ohio next March/April for the MOGA. Since I bought my new unit, I'm thinking about planning next summer's weekend outings - camp and cache. Sounds like a plan.

Be happy to answer any "newbie" questions about geocaching. PM me.

Marti
Old 09-19-2015, 10:41 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy View Post
The easiest way to find out about Geocaching is to visit https://www.geocaching.com/
It's free and you maybe surprised how many Caches are in your area. Some finds are easy, some hard, some large, some small but most interesting.
It is free for the basic membership but there are many, many more caches (and features) for Premium members - and it's only $30 a year.
Old 09-19-2015, 10:46 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by emptynest View Post
What in the world are you guys talking about, never heard of this . Please inform us what this is and how do you do it .
We cachers like to tell people "we use billion dollar government satellites to hunt Tupperware in the woods". Joking aside - it's like a scavenger hunt where you use your GPS (handheld works best) to find geocaches that have been placed. You can find those at Geocaching.com. You download the cache (or groups of caches) to your GPS, pull one up and follow the navigation until you reach GZ (ground zero). Then you start looking. It could be a rock, pill bottle, camo'd bison (tube), preform (bigger tube) you name it. Whatever can fit a logbook or log sheet can work. When you get to woods caches, they are going to be more like the Tupperware containers or Lock N Locks or even ammo cans. Find it - sign the log and head for the next one. Happy hunting!
Old 09-19-2015, 11:02 PM   #40

New Group

I've created a Geocachers group. Anyone interested in geocaching is welcome to join in.

Tags
camping