Old 09-20-2015, 11:19 PM   #51
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Does anyone do something called "Earth Caching"? A camping buddy was telling me about it- it's like geocaching, but you find unique geological/natural sights. He was explaining an "underground waterfall" somewhere in IL.

Sounded neat and I think I'd like it a little better than looking for caches of trinkets. (Says the guy who has never geocached.)
Geocaching has a type of cache called "Earth Caches" as you described. It's just one of the many types of things the game offers. Earth Caches usually never have a physical container, and you have to learn something and answer questions particular to the earth cache in order to claim a successful find on it.

Here is a link to one that me and a friend were FTF (first to find) on. Earthcaches have their own unique icon too.

GC1YTYP The Restored Pit (Earthcache) in Louisiana, United States created by 73Rebel, a Platinum Earthcache Master

Here's one of my favorites that is near my favorite campground and a restaurant I frequent. We stop by there and fill up jugs with water a lot. It is great. I never knew it was there, until geocaching showed me.

http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/G...ngs-earthcache

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 11:42 PM   #52
Fulltime family RVer

Thanks, wmtire. I was wondering how to get started. I'll have to take a look!

Old 09-20-2015, 11:54 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Thanks, wmtire. I was wondering how to get started. I'll have to take a look!
Start at Geocaching.com and search your home area - or an area you are planning to travel to. This will give you a list of the caches nearby. Create an account and you are ready to get your "smilies". Each find gets you a "smiley face" on the map.

To start, you can use your phone - C:Geo is a good app for Android phones. You can also get the geocaching.com app but I think there is a charge for it. Not sure which one is for the IPhone.

Caches are rated in difficulty in both terrain and difficulty to find. Start with a 1.0-1.5. 1.0 would be easy - even a 1.5 is probably easy enough for a newbie. A 1.0 terrain should be accessible with a wheelchair so a 1.0/1.0 would be your best bet but probably a little more difficult to find one of those than a 1.5/1.5. Pick out a cache and navigate to it using your app or GPS. When you find it, sign the log and then log it on geocaching.com.

I've started a social group for geocachers so come on by and ask your questions. No question is "too stupid". Good luck - but beware, it can become addictive.
Old 09-20-2015, 11:59 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Geocaching has a type of cache called "Earth Caches" as you described. It's just one of the many types of things the game offers.
There are several types of geocaches:
Traditional
Multi (has more than one "stage" to it)
Earthcache - learn about geology
Mystery - puzzles and challenges
Virtual - you'll identify something but there is no log to sign
Event - place to meet geocachers in your area

These are the more popular. There are also webcam caches, letterbox caches, Mega events (more than 500 attendees), and more.

I like the earthcaches and hold an Earthcache Master Bronze rank. It's fun to learn about the geology of the Earth. Makes you look at an area in a different way.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:00 AM   #55
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbuckely View Post
No question is "too stupid".

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442807977.558759.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	89417

Just kidding. Thanks for the info. I'm an iPhone user, so I'll have to find what apps are best.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:20 AM   #56

Try this: Geocaching > Geocaching Apps for iPhone and Android
Old 09-21-2015, 12:53 AM   #57
Swift2

Geo cash

We are on a return trip from Alaska and have been out for 65 days and have geocached all the way around getting many great finds. It has got us to fine cashes in lots of really neat places that we wouldn't have seen with out the geocaching. Hope you enjoy it as much as we have.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:44 AM   #58

I geocache as well, started in 2008 with about 750+ found. With caching, for me, it's more about the journey and not the numbers. I'd much rather have a great hike or paddle and get one cache, as opposed to 20 guard rail caches. It certainly is an activity that goes hand in hand for family activity and camping.

What may turn out as the last trip of the season for me, there is an annual geo event here in Maine called Getting Useless in Eustis that is this coming weekend. It is easily the most popular geo event in Maine. Here is the link to it: http://[URL="http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC5YKDK_eighth-annual-get-useless-in-eustis-event"] [/URL]. I'll be throwing the kayak on the truck and heading up early on Wednesday.

If you enjoy ammo cans in the woods and kayaking caches, then this is the place. There is also a wide variety of types, from micros on up, power runs and geo-art.

Days camping previous years: Not Enough
Days camping in 2017: Still Not Enough
MaineCampingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 04:38 PM   #59

We go to West Bend $1,000 Cache Ba$h, In Wisconsin 7 times, Midwest Geobash, in Ohio, ASPG Bash in New York, and 2 Geowoodsrocks all while camping. We also try to find attest 1 cGeocache every time we are all n a new state.
Old 10-17-2015, 05:16 PM   #60

I would also suggest attending the next International Earthcaching Event. It will be held in Denver Next year on September 24th. They have all kinds of workshops and games and catchers from all over the world.
There is also a Facebook page just put Earthcaching in the search and like the page.
Finally go to Earthcaching.com and you can see more from the US Geological Society.
See you out there!
Docgeo* and Lindabug Platinum Earthcache Masters

Tags
camping