Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2010, 10:10 AM   #1

Question Anyone Ever Install a Cyclone Sewer Vent Cover????

Seen the item in few magazines and in stores and got me thinking of possibly purchasing one:

Cyclone Sewer Vent - Item - Camping World

When installing the Cyclone Sewer Vent Cover do you need to remove your existing storm collar? My existing sewer vents were held in place by 1 screw and were very easy to remove. After taking the stock caps off I can see the storm collar with sealant all around it plus the pvc black pipe sticking up about 1/2" above storm collar. I wanted to know if the Cyclone Sewer Vent Cover slips down inside the existing pvc pipe and all you have to do is seal around were the two pipes meet? Do you install the new storm collar that comes with the cyclone in place of the existing storm collar? Just looking to get some install info before purchasing the device. If it installs inside the existing pipe and I can keep the existing storm collar in place then that would be ideal. Just hate to remove the storm collar already installed and sealed and install the new collar and buy new sealant that goes around the collar on roof. Let me know if you have some install info you can share.
Eastlake, OH
EastlakeRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 12:47 PM   #2

Eastlakeroo, Just installed 2 on our sv-264 surveyor. Removed the old vent caps along with flange on trailer roof. Cleaned the old cauking off as best i could. The cyclone fits over the vent pipe and comes with a new flange. Caulked the new flange FULL of caulking placing it over the pipe and then put on cyclone over pipe. Pushed it down so excess came out around all pieces. drilled pilot hole to hold cyclone top. Total work time to replace the gray and black vents was about an hour. A week later it rained 1.5 inches and no leaks. Follow instructions and you will have no problem !! Good Luck and Happy Camping ! Jeff Carey
Jeff Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 12:53 PM   #3

How much do the cyclones stick above the roof? Is there a stop somewhere that prevents you from pushing them all the way down over the existing pipe? What type of silicone did you use? Just looking to get as much info as possible to see what I'm getting into. Thanks Again for the reply.
Eastlake, OH
Old 05-18-2010, 01:11 PM   #4

The vent pipes stood about 3 or 4 inches above the roof. The cyclone vent does have a stop . Put the flange over the pipe and then slide the cyclone down to check it. Mine did not need to be cut. The instalation was very easy using external silicone caulk from wal-mart. I think the silicone caulk was $3.50 a tube. That was the first time for me to do anything like that. If i can do it, anyone can !!
Jeff Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 04:23 PM   #5

I know that when I took off my existing vent covers to expose the black pipe it was only about 1/2" above the stock flange. Just hope that by the time I remove my stock flange, install the new flange and slide the cyclone tube over my existing pipe that there is enough room to drill the pilot hole to install the crew to hold the cyclone. My parts should be in any day now and I'll give it a shot. Thanks Jeff for posting the info.
Eastlake, OH
Old 05-20-2010, 02:51 AM   #6
Cunning Linguist

I just did this last weekend (not by choice) & although the device is simple enough to install, removal of the original equipment presented some challenges.

I have a 2007 Wildwood LE 19BH, so it's not that old ...however, the original vent caps have all but disintegrated & crumbled to the touch ( I was actually up there to inspect roof and replace the bathroon vent fan blade).

Anyways .... after removing a ridiculous amount of sealant (which I suspect was used in lieu of proper instalation techique at the manufacturer), I discoverd the vent pipe itself was cut on an angle and/or installed cockeyed. Unfortunately there wasn't enough excess pipe to trim & resquare flush. I also had to seal around what looked like a roofing penetration that was made by stabbing/spearing the vent pipe up through the roof, from the underside (Note: EastlakeRoo ... I had the same idea you did, but due to the piss-poor installation of the OEM part, the entire area inside the base collar was exposed/unsealed and the original OEM collar height makes bonding the new cyclone base to existing collar extremely difficult without modification....see below).

End result was that proper installation of the cyclone on the pipe (that part was just as advertised ...slips right over) resulted in a approx 15-degree lean from true vertical. Not pretty, but functional.

Again, nothing wrong with the replacement vent ...just letting you know that you may not find what you expect when you get up there to replace it. I would budget an additional hour of two of time to do the install .... but the vent itself only takes about 15 minutes to properly install and seal.

In anticipation of replacing the second vent this weekend, I've been playing around with an alternate mounting method with the parts I removed.

Due to the copius amounts of sealant on the factory vent install, I think I'm just going to leave the original storm base intact and simply mark and use a dremel cutting wheel to cut the original storm collar to 1/8" above the sealant line, apply sealant to the cut, put the new base flange over that & seal the base around the perimeter. The new vent slides concentrically over the vent pipe & within the new baseplate.
The baseplate that comes with the cyclone is of a smaller diameter than my OEM vent cover and the standard "universal" replacement vent bases. Also, the base flange has no significant horizontal return leg or perimeter collar height.... so leaving part of the original collar intact should give me some additional area to make a proper two-part concentric mount which is sealed internally and externally. Biggest benefit is that it should eliminate a lot of the removal time (assuming your current caulk/sealant is in good shape and as copius as mine is).

I also noticed that the cyclone rotation is in the colar seam at the very top, so I'm going to seal at the pipe/flange joint, in lieu of drilling a pilot hole in the vertical.
Acara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 04:50 AM   #7

ok, thanks for the feedback. If I can just go over my existing storm collar with the new collar supplied by cycline that may be a easy job. Don't have to waste time taking sealant off or prying the stock collar off. Important thing is the keep water out of the area with sealant once the cyclone is installed. Thanks again for th post.
Eastlake, OH
Old 05-20-2010, 06:38 AM   #8
Cunning Linguist

Maybe you'll get lucky & it will be plug-n-play ..... just warning you to be prepared once u get up there and look at it and take the top cover off ..... like most things ....not always as easy as it should be, or as the replacement product packaging may indicate
Old 05-23-2010, 05:26 PM   #9

Smile

Update. I went out to Camping World yesterday and purchased 2 cyclones along with is a tube of "lap" caulk. Before I went out camping world I purchased 2 tubes of clear silicone calk from lowes antipating I may need to use them. After bringing all the supplies on top of the roof I noticed that I could install the cyclones right over my existing vent pipes without having to remove the stock flange and all the factory caulk. I did install the cyclones with the set screws to hold in place plus caulked around where the pipes meet to ensure nothing leaks. Here is a photo of what my vent pipes look like after I removed the stock vent caps to get a visual of how I installed the cyclones. All I did was slip them right over the black pipes and run some caulking around them. Took longer to drive to camping world then install the parts (10 min.). I would of took some photos with them installed but having lugged the drill, drill bits, phillips screw driver, caulking gun, caulk and new cyclones I forgot about the camera.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1386.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	2529   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1387.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	2530   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1388.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	2531  
Eastlake, OH
Old 05-23-2010, 07:30 PM   #10
Cunning Linguist

*jealous*

Wish my my pipes were that tall and level when I took the covers off.

Also looks likethey did a good job putting the original penetrations through.

Glad yours was much easier than mine.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:02 PM   #11

Eastlake, that is exactly how I installed mine. the only thing different I did was I drilled one hole in the Cyclone vent collar so i could attach it to the existing pipe collar, just like the factory cap. I think it looks a little more finished this way.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote