Old 10-16-2014, 08:10 PM   #11
back to a TT from a 5x just recently. those stairs were getting hard for old bodies.

Doug Little
2015 Sandpiper 385FKBH
Elgin IL
littldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 08:38 PM   #12
Plain Old Member
In this order. 2003 Travel trailer, 2006 popup (same time as tt), 2007 fifth wheel, 2010 travel trailer, 2012 class a mh, 2013 class c mh, 2014 fifth wheel, and now we will be in a travel trailer of some sort when we purchase again. So we've been every which direction. Absolutely no desire to own a motorhome or fifth wheel again. Glad they make plenty of options, as it gives everybody a shot at what they need. I don't want to step up that many steps anymore (class a mh was the worst), and I don't want anything 13 feet plus tall again. After having been in most types, we want shorter, not as tall, simpler, and way less gadgets. I'm not willing to put as many hours in fixing, cleaning and babying as I once was. Pretty much going back to what we started with.

John and Rebecca Dickson
Emma-7 / Little John-5 / Iva-1
Full Timing Again, Rev B
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 09:22 PM   #13
I started out with tents in Washington state, went to a pop up camper in 1971, then had a TT, for a while (almost killed me and the family) then went to a fifth wheel, had it 36yrs, but the wife could not ride in my 99 1 ton Dodge, for more than 4 hours. So three years ago I bought a MH, but when we went to the coast I had to make a discision weather to tow the car or my toy, could not do both, So after the wild fire,(I lost everything plus the MO and the 5er) I bought a 32' Wolf Pack 5er toy hauler. I like the way the tow over a TT. With my first 5er I could haul 4- Quads ATVs, and with the 99 Dodge one ton I could haul 5 or 6 ATVs, but now I am down to one UTV.
Ditchdigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 12:07 PM   #14
2 TT's and now a 5'er. Might go back in a few years when the wife retires and we hit the road for 2-3 month trips. More bang for the buck in a TT. Only issue is a 32' 5'er needs to be 35' in a TT. You do lose the truck be for gear with a 5'er but most 5'ers have plenty of basement storage to haul all the trucks stuff. Only issue is bikes and kayaks/canoes. Bikes can be put on the rear of the 5'er and Thule or Yakima make enough combinations to haul anything on your truck. 5'ers seem to have a more open feeling since the ceiling is higher. Steps don't bother me in the least. TT bedrooms are more cramped and closet space is less. It takes a long TT to get the same room as a 5'er. And then there's the towing. 5'er wins hands down. Only a HA or PP on a TT will come close.
In the end it's all compromise to some degree.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 01:21 PM   #15
All of these comments do my heart good. When we needed a new tow vehicle we fought long and hard about a car vs truck knowing we soon needed to upgrade our TT. We were leaning towards a motor home, but you get sooo much more in trailers, so we bought the biggest truck we could afford so we could have any trailer we wanted. We assumed a fifth wheel. And they are so nice and have so many features we don't...but in the end, we got a V Lite for exactly the reasons you have all said...I couldn't imagine "wasting" all of that truck bed space for our outside toys.
kkhslh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 04:58 PM   #16
I guess the truck bed is the biggest reason I didn't want a fiver. My son's FIL has a huge fiver, but that's just not for me. For DW and I, the TT is perfect. I wanted lightweight for my half ton and no more than 30', so we bought a used Surveyor ('07). So far it's been great, like living in a mansion compared to the tent and popup. But, the half ton struggles a bit so I'm working on DW to expect a diesel in the fairly near future. (and so it starts) Looking forward to camping this Halloween weekend, it's going to be cool but hey, I have a furnace now.
Good luck with whatever you decide.
53jimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 05:43 PM   #17
Just as a side note... I have been thinking of a bigger trailer some day... I pulled a Alpha Gold GF38... Something for a friend yesterday. I looked at the gross at almost 18k(jump in WP). IT'S WWAAYY TO HEAVY. I don't want one that heavy. My little 10k rig is fine with me. I didn't have any trouble pulling it, but the brakes were weak or something and I was ready to get it parked. Yes. I adjusted the gain three or four times. And yes. I could hear the brakes clacking at a stop. They just didn't have any guts. That thing weighs almost 3x the dry of my lil Dodge. No way!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
totalled 04-11-16 by storm(picking up new one 10-26-16)
Iwannacamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 05:48 PM   #18
PS: I pulled it cause he doesn't have a hitch in his hemi truck. I told him. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

totalled 04-11-16 by storm(picking up new one 10-26-16)
Iwannacamp is online now   Reply With Quote

5th wheel, trailer, travel, travel trailer, wheel