Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2008, 03:41 PM   #1

Anyone had any problems with tires

on their Forest River?

Seems on the other sites people complaining about blown tires after only a few thousand miles?

Jimbo
jimb053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 09:09 PM   #2

If your trailer is more than five years old you should replace your tires and yes a lot of people have had blow outs and it no fun when pulling your camper .Even if your tires look good they need replaced because they get dry rot and will break down while driving because they get hot.There is a number of post on here about tires they make for some good reading
Old 10-04-2008, 09:23 PM   #3

Click the link for a thread I started last year about mine. There are pictures on page 2 of the thread.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...read.php?t=883

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 07:37 PM   #4

Check the Date Code on the tries. The Date Code starts after the letters "DOT". Examble if the numbers is "2408" this means that the tires were made on th 24th week of the year 2008. Done be fooled if you have a new camper, my camper is a 2006 we bought it new and the Date Code was "3504". I no longer have these tires on my camper. My camper is now 3 years old, but the tires are 5 years old. Take the advise mentioned above, Safety Comes First.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 08:13 AM   #5

Another thing to remember is ST tires are only Speed Rated for 65MPH, no matter who or where they were made.
I generally tow around 58-62mph and have never had a problem
Wonder how many of those 'blown tires' came from somebody in a rush and doing 65-70mph
JMHO
14k Pullrite SuperGlide/MorRyde pin box
wa8shc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 06:41 PM   #6
Cardinal 04 31LE

Tires, Tires, Tires

I did a lot of research on tires when I experienced two blowouts on consecutive weekend trips. Yes, a little dense at times! The second blow out caused some damage to the fiver! I HATE THAT!

If you go to the technical discussions forum and go down to the fourth page you may find the thread entitled Tire Blow Out that I started when I had the problem. I learned much from the members of this forum and from another forum of which I can't recall it's name. Nevertheless, I ended up purchasing Good Year Unisteels G146 I almost purchased the G614's but the dealer said they were actually overrated for my fiver. He also said the G146 is used heavily on the NASCAR trailers ( i assume he is speaking of the merchandising trailers) apparently they have done some tire work on them when they were in town... Even if it was a lie, I bought it. I really like the tires, they ride smooth have great tread depth and appear to shed water great.

When i travelled about 30 miles to have them installed I nearly had a THIRD blow out on the Kenya's the tread was separating from the casing!

Here is the web link if it helps! http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ead.php?t=2502
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:32 PM   #7

As a matter of fact this past weekend the left rear blew on our '09 All American, with 5k miles on the tires. My max speed for the day was 60 and at the timeof the blowout I was under 50 and about 70 miles from home. The problem was that we did not even hear it and drove about 15 miles with the flat. I felt a little sway then it straightened out. Did minor damage to the underside of the skirt and a little tothe wheel but nothing major. I have searched google and can find no manufacturer that will take owenership of these tires "Highway Trooper" Load Range E which I thought was sufficient, guess I was wrong. Turns out that the spare is load range G, go figure, I guess someone had the idea that maybe the E wasn't good enough if it decied to blow in the first place. I found one reference to this tire either in Highways magazine or another RV publicaiton and the person basically had the same problem on another FR product with the Highway Trooper tires and could find no references for them. They cover their tracks well. Even the technical writer for the pub had never heard of the tires.

Anyway I have done some searches and there are not may load range G's out there in our tire size 235 85R16, Goodyear G614 and maybe one other that I found. I have been a believer in the highest load range you can get/afford since we had three (3) tires blow on one trip with our last camper (Nankang tires? China). The first one we were on the thruway @ 60 mph about 20 minutes into our 2000 mile trip. The last 2 were near the end of the trip one on the thruway @ 60 mph and one on a state highway @ 55 mph. After threats to submit a complaint to the national highway saftey people they bought my new Carlisle tires.

I will be calling Scott at the FR warranty department in a few minutes to discuss this latest issue. It seems that manufacturers would rather spend money on warranty repairs rather than do it right the first time. This is about the 12th issue since April when we took delivery.

Whatever you buy don't be afraid to go one better on the load rating for safety, for extra insurance and hopefully as a preventative measure. Also buy a brand you recognize and believe that you can trust.
out4stlhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 02:41 PM   #8
CampeRooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimb053 View Post
on their Forest River?

Seems on the other sites people complaining about blown tires after only a few thousand miles?

Jimbo
Edit - Wow...i just realized that this was all about FR and tires, specifically. Not just any RV tire....sorry about hijacking the post guys...I'm at work and i guess i got a little sidetracked. Admins...if my specific post needs to be moved somewhere else, please do. J. - Edit

Yup...it happens...more then we all want it to, that's for sure. I've done a lot of research on this subject right after I got back home from dragging the Roo back from Des Moines to N.E. Colorado. I went through 2 out of 4 tires on the way back, the first about 100 miles outside of where i picked it up. Here's what i've learned, most of it I'm sure most everyone already knows...but for the sake of the forum and my own personal lack of knowledge prior to pulling a camper trailer...here we go.

1) Weight balancing on dual/tandem axle trailers - balance the weight on both axles by raising your hitch height or by using a weight distribution hitch with it. The frame of the camper should be level with the vehicle that's towing it, not leaning forward or back once it's hitched up and loaded. A huge difference is made when I have firewood in the bed of the pickup vs having an empty bed. In either case, don't let all the weight of your camper lean on one particular axle...I learned this the hard way, 2 tires later, a 2" raise hitch, and hours of wasted time in the middle of nowhere Iowa (which isn't cheap). If you're unsure of the weight on each axle, most truck stops are willing to work with you in weighing in each axle so you know where you're at. Better to have somewhat of an idea of the weight distribution vs going into it blind like i did.

2) Air pressure - The air pressure marked on the sidewall of the tire is the max pressure at cold inflation, meaning...the tires should not have been moved a single mile before checking them. Or, if they are in the direct sunlight, wait until evening or early morning to check all the tires and air them up equally to that max air pressure. The tire is built to expand at that pressure and should be kept as max pressure to minimize rolling resistance which will keep the tire cooler then if you left them all 5 lbs short of max. Also, the weight carrying capacity is based on the max pressure in the tire, so 5 lbs short of max will drop the load carrying capacity of the tire. This is particularly important to remember during different seasons and drastic changes in air temperature. "Seasonal changes or altitude changes create a rise or drop in air pressure (for every 10 degrees change in temperature, tire air pressure changes 1 psi)." (Ref. Discount Tire Co. Air Pressure website).

Also, don't use some cheap .99 cent air pressure gauge...these are very rarely accurate...a few more bucks for a much better gauge will save you the headache later. "For trucks and RVs, use a dual-head inflation gauge that is calibrated up to 120 psi at 2 psi increments." (same reference as above). I read another comment that the air pressure gauges at gas stations are also very inaccurate, so beware of those. If your tires require more then 60lbs of pressure (most common on D and E load rated tires) be sure to use steel air valves or steel sleeved rubber air valves that will allow that much pressure. Speaking of air valves, I guess now's a good time to mention that there's a recall on rubber valve stems - http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls...rue&refurl=rss and http://www.popularmechanics.com/auto...o/4282960.html . For one of the best valve stems for safety, this might be an option for you - http://www.hcwsinc.com/faqs.htm I don't know this company or work for them, so dont ban me over this info...its just info.

3) Storage - During periods of seasonal storage, it's always a good idea to beware of the environmental hazards that can result in premature tire failures. It is recommended that stored tires are not sitting on black pavement, near reflective services, or on any other kind of heat absorbing materials, near ozone producing equipment - such as electrical engines, and be sure not to store them in areas that can build up any kind of petroleum based materials such as oils, fuels, and asphalts. If the tires are removed from your RV, they should be washed prior to storage and you want to store them in a dry, cool place and it is recommended to deflate the tire to 50% of the max inflation rating on the side of the tire. If you leave them on the RV, it is recommended that tire covers of some sort are used to prevent direct sunlight on them so they don't dry out on you. Additionally, if they are left on the RV, they recommend either blocking the vehicle frame to take all the weight off of the tires or inflate your tires another 25% over max inflation rates and the RV moved every 3 months to prevent flat spotting and dry cracking at the flexing points of where the tires meet the ground. Just don't forget to adjust the tire pressures prior taking your RV out of storage. (Ref at http://www.yokohamatire.com/pdf/tsb-112102.pdf or http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=37 ) It is also recommended that cardboard, plastic, or wood be placed between the tire and the ground of which the storage is going to take place.

Here's some good advise from Michelin - http://www.rvadvice.com/rvarticles/4tires.html

Same advise from Goodyear - http://www.goodyear.com/rv/faq/care.html

More advise - http://www.rvamerica.com/rvlife/buz2.htm

Basic reference - http://rvbasics.com/techtips/rv-tire-care.html

A bit of a reference on TPMS - I think that this would be a good idea for those of us towing and not driving, but in the general sense of safety, it may not be a bad idea for all RV'ers to utilize the benefits from a monitoring system. (note, this article specifies one certain brand of TPMS system...but there are several out there and I am not promoting or demoting any of them...this is for reference only.) http://www.rvtravel.com/blog/rvnow/2...res-while.html

Last but not least, those of you that know Mark Polk of the Outdoor Channel's RVTV segments, here's an article from him - http://www.explorerrv.com/articles/RVTireFailure101.pdf

I apologize about the long post, but my goal here is to hopefully have enough information to help along those that are first timers as well as maybe even add some good content to the veterans of the forum. I appreciate all the information that i've been given over the years about other "how-to's" that i've inquired about, so part of my return to that is to provide what i've learned to others. Feel free to add anything that i may have missed and maybe some day, this could be a sticky somewhere for easy reference to others.

Thank you

Joe

2000 Rockwood Roo M-18 Hybrid
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Auto 5.9 Diesel
Gone but not forgotten -1986 Rockwood 1003 PUP
rthrbelsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 03:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by out4stlhed View Post
I have searched google and can find no manufacturer that will take owenership of these tires "Highway Trooper" Load Range E which I thought was sufficient, guess I was wrong. Turns out that the spare is load range G, go figure, I guess someone had the idea that maybe the E wasn't good enough if it decied to blow in the first place. I found one reference to this tire either in Highways magazine or another RV publicaiton and the person basically had the same problem on another FR product with the Highway Trooper tires and could find no references for them.
Although no longer listed, Highway Trooper tires were manufactured by Greenball: http://www.greenball.com/

Joe

2008 Cardinal 32TS
2008 F350 Lariat PSD C/C 4X4 Dually
Joe Falco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 06:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Falco View Post
Although no longer listed, Highway Trooper tires were manufactured by Greenball: http://www.greenball.com/

Joe
There was a member not too long ago that had ask about Trooper tires and I don't remember if there was any reply, but in any case I tried to look them up and could not find anything about them.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 06:49 AM   #11

That is a great informative post on pressures, storage etc. Some of it I was not aware of.

Who the heck is Greenball? (China).

My load range E tires are rated for 80 PSI according to the sidewall. The vehicle ID plate from FR states that all tires should be run at 65 PSI. Manufacturers need to make sure that they are providing proper information to their customers on these issues.

I generally run at 75 PSI, I have made this decision because the first time that I ran the recommended pressire on my old camper is when I blew 3-tire on the one trip. I can not say if that was the cause but it gives me a little comfort that I am just below the threshold, at least in my mind, right or wrong.

I do check my tires prior to each tow and that is part of my frustration with tire failures, I think that I am doing what I can to prevent them. Last week the pressures were @75 PSI all the way around,at the start of the trip. Safetly is always my first thought, and tires are a primary concern along with proper hitch and hitch connections, lights (they get checked every time before pulling away from home or the campground, I have had lights work one minute an dnot the next-bad ground two weeks ago) etc.

Maybe it is a fact of life in the towing community that tires will fail more often than we expect, no matter what precautions we try to take.

I looked at greenball.com and that is where the wheels on the camper came from also, they are pictured on the home page. I will be investigating this further.
out4stlhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 08:46 AM   #12
CampeRooo

yup...greenballs
http://www.tirereview.com/files/PDF/brandlist.pdf

Here's a place in Canada that's having a clearance on their last 4... http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/pts/838795992.html

Old 10-08-2008, 03:32 PM   #13
CampeRooo

Since everyone was curious about those greenball tires, including myself, i emailed greenball corp directly to find out some info. Here's their response:

Joe,

The Hiway Trooper has not been discontinued we still have carry them and have them in stock and warranty should be good for 3 years depending on what the issue may be.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Heather (sent from: hguthrie@greenball.com)

Fire away...

Old 10-09-2008, 06:38 AM   #14
Site Team

They still list Hiway Troopers on the Greenball website. If you go to G rated tires watch your pressures. Your wheels may not be rated for 110 psi.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:44 PM   #15

[QUOTE=rthrbelsewhere;21286]Edit - Wow...i just realized that this was all about FR and tires, specifically. Not just any RV tire....sorry about hijacking the post guys...I'm at work and i guess i got a little sidetracked. Admins...if my specific post needs to be moved somewhere else, please do. J. - Edit

Yup...it happens...more then we all want it to, that's for sure. I've done a lot of research on this subject right after I got back home from dragging the Roo back from Des Moines to N.E. Colorado.

Thanks, Joe, for a great post. I'm sure a lot of members will gain from your advice.

We have one more weekend out camping and then it's winterizing 'till next spring. Already arranged to get those wheel covers for the storage lot.

Thanks again.

John
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 09:16 AM   #16
CampeRooo

Hi John,

Thank you for the positive response. I have to admit, i was a little embarrassed after I reread the post and realized what I did, but accidents happen and at least I identified it before I got the ax.

Maybe I'll copy it and repost it in another section of the forum for easy reference instead of letting it sit embedded in this one. It might be hard to find later for anyone who wants to keep that handy. What do you think?

I haven't heard anything from the admins about it, so I guess it's okay here too. All I know is that what should have taken me 10-12 hours to get back home on that Saturday, took me over 16 because I didn't know some of the things that I should have before I left and picked up this camper. It was a little frustrating and yet it was kind of a nice break from sitting in the truck for so long. Ok....truth or dare? I pick truth: (here's my story)

Saw the camper on craigslist early in the week. Emailed back and forth with the owners and made an offer. Offer accepted and wife and i packed up for a quick trip to Des Moines to go get it over the weekend. Left out Friday night after work (3pm) and drove all the way to Des Moines and hit the hotel bed with all 200 lbs of my willingness to sleep. Saturday morning, we headed to their house for the 9am meet, did a complete walk through, inspected every inch of the camper and finalized the transaction. Pulled out of their driveway around 11am, stopped for lunch and fuel and hit the road. 100 miles from their house...bamm...lost the first one. Changed it out on I-80 () and then, just as i was getting ready to pull back out into traffic, I was pulled over by the County mounty who just wanted to check on me and make sure everything was okay. He advised me to stop at the next exit to get another spare since Omaha/Council Bluffs was another 40 miles from there. Stopped at the truck stop, they had one 13" tire...90 minutes and $55 bucks later, I switch out the opposite side and i'm back out on the road. Made it to Council Bluffs camping world and pulled over to buy a raise hitch (i had the 6" drop on at the time). Went to change it out...forgot my key to the pin lock that holds it all together. Called for a locksmith over the CB and found one that was 3 hours out (busy) and would run $90 to pick it. Drove the works over to the Sapp Bros across the street and they cut it off for 10 bucks. Inserted the new hitch and pin and found myself level again and ready to go. By now, it's 5pm, so got some more grub and back on the road we went. We drove all the way to Julesburg (1:30am) before my body just said...to hell with this. Pulled over for the night at some gas station with a huge dirt lot and we called it a night. I told my wife, let's get about 4 hours of sleep and then we can make it home, it was only about another 3 hours to go. Well, we slept 8 full hours and never heard a single 18-wheeler take off from the parking area, nor did we even see the sun come up. This camper just earned it's first $1000 bucks in my eyes. I hadn't slept a full 8 hours in months! Left there around 9:30am and made to the driveway around 1pm. Now thats a freakin story on how to do things the hard way....

Happy Friday all...

joe

Old 10-10-2008, 09:36 AM   #17
Site Team

To be honest I didn't read your earlier post when you posted it but after reading the above post I went back and read it. It was extremely good info. I think you should post the meat of it to the Towing forum and maybe the mods could make it a sticky.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:40 AM   #18
CampeRooo

Towing forum...
Will do.
Thanks Bama!

Old 10-01-2010, 08:26 AM   #19

Bought a new Forest River Sandpiper 5th wheel to live in. Needed waranty repair on stove, window, microwave, plumbing, electrical, hot water heater, satelite cable, springs, and now after 4,000 miles my Highway trooper tire had a blowout and tore the plastic material covering the underbelly all the way across with wire hanging out dragging on the road along with fender damage. Now the Forest River dealer near Portland, ME says that those are cheap Chinese tires and to "go back to Minnesota" where I bought the trailer because he can't help. No tire dealers have ever heard of this brand. What is the manufacturers responsibility?
labedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 08:41 AM   #20

Tires are warranted by the tire manufacturer, not the trailer manufacturer. It is that way across all of them, including automobiles. My new Malibu has a card in it from Goodyear for tire issues should they arise. The trailer manufacturer will take no responsibility for them at all.

You should have received paperwork when you bought your trailer for every component in it including the tires which outlines who to contact regarding warranty issues. If you did not, ask your dealer why you didn't receive that paperwork.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote